Bonnie and Me

Chat about any motorbike here.
wisart
Current Ride: Honda Nighthawk 650

Bonnie and Me

Post by wisart »

So I had three days and 700 miles with a Bonneville T100 so I thought I would give my thoughts on the bike.  In short, very nice.

No really, the bike is very nice.  The motor is one of the sweetest ever put to a machine.  In my experience, which is limited, there are a few motors that are real stand outs.  The first one that always springs to mind is the SV650/Vstrom motor.  Another is the TMax.  Finally and maybe the best is the Bonneville motor.  None of these are the fastest or most powerful bikes, even in their class, but they are so pleasant I just smile when I roll the throttle.  Part of it may be the fueling, the way the power is distributed.  Unlike my old Nighthawk, which was soft in low revs or my Ninja which is very twitchy no matter where you are in the rev range, the Bonneville motor is a happy little torque machine.  When rolled hard from a stop you feel like you are on a locomotive as the bike pulls you along.  I bounced off the rev limiter two or three times because I didn't get the sensation from the motor that it was ready to quit.  While my Ninja motor is similar it doesn't have the smooth fueling the Bonnie has.

Another nice surprise for me was the comfort.  I've rented the Bonneville SE in the past and I don't remember it being as comfortable on an all day ride.  I'm even more surprised because this is my first ride since I put my bike away last year.  So putting on a 300+ mile day with little discomfort is a pretty big deal.  I had some foot numbness and neck aches but that was about it.

The handling was nice too but not great.  Compared to the Bonneville SE the bike feels sluggish and a bit heavy in tight turns.  The T100 has a larger front tire and spoked wheels which don't compare well with the SE model in the handling department.  I was surprised how different it was.  That's not to say the bike isn't fun to ride on technical roads, it is, it's just not as good as the other Bonnie.

The bike I had rented tended to backfire quite a bit.  I doubt this is a characteristic of the bike and has more to do with the maintenance from the rental company.  However another tendency did bother me, especially in the beginning was that the clutch didn't engage until you almost fully released the lever.  Very annoying, don't know if that is by design or if it can be corrected with an adjustment.  Finally, I didn't care for the long kickstand that leaned the bike way over when parked.  You really feel the weight of the bike when you pull it off the stand to start it. And since the paragraph seems to all be complaints I should add that I don't care for the manual idle adjustment, I've never seen that before on a fuel injected bike.

The T100 is very stable on the expressway.  I was on a stock bike so there was no windscreen or even a flyscreen.  I think I reached speeds of 85-90 mph at times and I never felt as if the bike was out of control or hard to handle at higher rates of speed. Even on California's grooved interstate pavement.  This is a plus for me because I have been on bikes where freeway speeds weren't comfortable.

To the surprise of the Eagle Rider staff (where I rented the bike) I was getting over 50 mpg on the T100.  Most of my riding was below 55 mph so it's not too amazing a feat however I was working the gears pretty good as there was hardly a straight road for the most part.

I love the look of Bonnies but for me, the SE model is nicer looking.  I know the spoke rims, flat seat and pea-shooter exhaust have a cool retro look but I think the SE with the alloy wheels and megaphone exhausts looks quite a bit better.  Same motor though, so choose the one that makes your heart beat faster.

Neat bike, I really like the Bonneville and if I had the money and space for a fleet of bikes there would be no doubt, I would have one in my garage.
===============================
Dan

1984 Honda cb650sc Nighthawk (manual scootin')
2007 KYMCO Grand Vista (Sold)
2003 Honda Reflex (Sold)

gn2

Re: Bonnie and Me

Post by gn2 »

I agree, the blue and white SE looks much better overall, but I don't like the plastic front brake fluid reservoir.
Easily changed though.
If I was going to buy a bike, a cast wheel Bonnie would probably be the one.

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Hi Dan, I've had both types of Bonnie both fuel injected. I never had the backfiring problem as you say probably down to maintenance.
I also found the alloy wheeled bikes changed direction quicker than the wire wheeled versions mainly due to an 18 inch front wheel instead of 19.
I prefer the look of the SE version too, it just looks better balanced, the T100 has nicer style but it is spoiled by that horrible kink in the exhausts and the rims should have been alloy.
The motor is far better than the given credit usually by people who haven't ridden one. The roll on in top gear is exceptional for a relatively low powered unit, it's not a screamer but it can hustle OK.
The weight is an issue and I'm sure Triumph could do better in this department but why should they when they are selling so well anyway.
Nice to hear thoughts on this bike from across the pond. icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

I thought the cast wheel models were 17 front, the T100 a 19 front and the Thruxton an 18 front...?

wisart

Post by wisart »

It really is an amazing machine. I like to think that no matter what kind of bike you ride you cannot ride the Bonneville and not come away with a smile. It's just so darn agreeable in every way that makes a motorcycle fun.
Dan

2003 Honda Reflex (Sold)

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

I loved the T100 Fuel Injected Bonnie that I owned, but for one thing. Comfort.
I am 5' 10" but found the bike really cramped.
The standard pretty T100 seat was a thing of torture.
I tried the standard Bonneville seat which was a little better, but the Burton Seat I fitted was 100% better :D
Always fancied the Triumph Scrambler, wonder if they are any taller?.........

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

gn2 wrote:I thought the cast wheel models were 17 front, the T100 a 19 front and the Thruxton an 18 front...?
Sorry, I stand corrected yep 17" on Bonnie and SE. icon_old.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

My dad has a year old Bonnie T100 which i rode last summer and i love it. He used to ride bonnies in the 60's and said how much better this is as well as you don't get the free oil leak like you did on the old ones.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I had a standard bonnie 3 years ago, didnt like it, not comfy, the seat was terrible, I also thought the engine sounded very tappety, dealer said its normal, and just look at those blue downpipes. Now the kawasaki w 800, :shock: ,a beauty!!!!!!
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

wisart

Post by wisart »

I'm kind of fond of the blue downpipes. I don't recall the motor making a tappety sound, though I can't recall the sound at idle at all. My Ninja 650 on the other hand makes that tappety sound at idle and it is quite apparent.
Dan

2003 Honda Reflex (Sold)