Smartphone mounts

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Smartphone mounts

Post by Bluebottle »

I mentioned this elsewhere but I thought it was worth a bit of detail seeing as the question comes up a lot, somebody might find it useful for or against.

Mounting gadgets on maxi scoots like the burgman can be a bit tricky unless you start drilling holes in shrouding. The RAM brake resevoir mount is a popular solution that works well but it can get a bit pricey.

I was going to fabricate some brackets so that I could mount my i-phone that passed around the handlebar cover but when I started looking for waterproof enclosures I came across a company called Ultimate Addons. They do all kinds of custom waterproof/rainproof enclosures for different devices, a modular system of mounts and useful converters to make one manufactrurers system compatible with another. There cases/holders are available with a 1" ball on the back for a RAM mount or the quick-release-to-1" ball that I've used.
Also had a look at Bike Console and a few others.

In the end I got an Ultimate Addons iphone waterproof enclosure with quick release, and a 1" ball mount that fits on the mirror stem for £48.
I was going to canibalise the mirror mount but now I have tried I might leave it as it is.

The system uses a 1" ball so there cases can be used interchangeably with RAM mounts.
I was suprised at the quality of the components. The stem mount is metal and lined with a thick, very dense rubber(?) that damps out a good deal of the shock and vibration. Obviously fixing the mount to the bottom of the stem helps too. Allan keys and a choice of screw lengths are provided, there are even some rubber ends in case your screws protrude. I read a criticism that the ball /socket doesn't stay put over bumps but I don't think the writer had tightened the adjustment collar around the ball - mone will not move at all without slackening the collar off. There is a whole pile of other mounts to choose from.

Once the ball is secure the quick release base mounts directly to it with the aid of a collar to adjust the friction. This is their own 3 pronged system as far as I know and now any of their products will clip into it.

The enclosure I bought is specific for the i-phone but they also do other phones, GPS, Go-Pro etc and various clips, bags and cases.
The case is well thought out. The phone sits in a dense foam insert inside a hard case with all buttons useable and access holes plugged. The charge plug sits within the case so that the socket isn't vulnerable to water. I ran it under a strong flow from a hose and the inside stayed dry but I wouldn't want to submerge it. The case has a loop to attach a safety lanyard that comes with it. Spare clips, latches and components can be bought seperatley at a very reasonable price if anything gets broken but it is all very robust and top notch materials have been used.- no sign of anything getting brittle in -1 deg temps. either.

In use the screen cover can pick up a bit of glare, it needs to be angled so that it doesn't reflect the sky or hi-vis clothing (easy to do with the ball and socket). I will probably add a hood at some point, maybe in neoprene. The screen was the one slight disappointment in that I thought is was going to be rigid but it turned out to be a slightly pliable film - perfectly servicable and doesn't hinder the touch screen in any way. I have attached a stylus tip to my glove so that I can operate the touchscreen without taking my gloves off.
There are wiring kits for various devices with fuses and water resistent end plugs etc but I didn't get one

The whole thing seems secure, I feel confident enough to happily trust it with 500 quids worth of phone. RAM might be a shade higher on quality but I don't think there is much in it.

Here it is on my Burgman, note that the photo was taken with a wide angle lens so the phone looks bigger and nearer than it actually is. I have to break off now but I'll add a bit more thoughts later.

There site is http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1