New fuel

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: New fuel

Post by Bluebottle »

Bugger! That is a bit of a blow; probably won't do much for its resale value either.

With classic cars there is now a supply of ethanol compatible parts, I don't know if the bike market is lucrative enough to support something similar
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

all hondas since 1993 made for the EU are compatable with e10, yet bikes with carbs might suffer poor running in vert cold temps, which is probably a bit of carb iceing.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Mr Angry

Post by Mr Angry »

Some bikes had carb heaters fitted maybe there is a kit?

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Carb icing can be combatted another way, keep the throttle open :twisted:

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

It also works great at cleaning the engine internals such as injector tips, pistons and valves. No need for fuel injection system cleaner additives.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

sad vampire
Current Ride: NC750 DCT+Aprilia Atlantic 500

Post by sad vampire »

Rather than a manufacturer simply listing whether or not a scooter is unsuitable when it comes to E10 I feel it would be more useful if they list the parts affected & possible solutions.

An example would be with the nylon petrol tanks that absorb water in the fuel causing them to swell; a simple inner coating may well be enough to solve this problem. Also with fuel lines sweling, fuel lines are fairly easy to replace, but only if we have some of idea of which fuel lines to replace them with (I replaced the fuel lines on my Guzzi & the new ones have the same problem as the old so need replacing again; yes, an easy job on a Guzzi, but more expense).

Declaring a whole scooter unfit for use with E10 is too simplistic when it's just a few £s worth of bits to fix, & about 3 hours worth of removing plastic panels to get to them.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

It can also be the fuel pump seals and injector seals that are unsuitable. Although I've found most are ok now. But still some cars come with seals that need to be replaced first before E10 can be used long term.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...