Choosing a bigger scooter for the shorter other half

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
topper
Current Ride: Suzuki Hayabusa

Choosing a bigger scooter for the shorter other half

Post by topper »

First proper post, be gentle...

Other half had a Kymco Duke 125. This tiny thing has finally given up the ghost. It was in the garage every couple of months anyway, and I don't think it's suited to her commute, which is a round trip of 60km, mostly on the motorway.

She couldn't keep up with the traffic flow, other traffic was intimidating, and the wind protection was awful.

Now she's upgraded her licence to A1 (400cc / 33bhp), and we're looking for an upgrade. Preferably something that I won't mind riding from time to time, to save fuel costs on my Hayabusa. There are options at 250cc, but I've been pushing for a 400. We live in the sticks, so most rides include some motorway work.

The problem (as you'll see) is that she is only 157cm tall.

Options and what we've tried so far:

Piaggio Xevo 400. I love this thing, it's cool-looking and gets good reviews. The problem is that when she sits on it, the seat height is too high for her. Even I can't flat-foot it (not that I care). I told her to try moving off the seat when she stands at traffic lights, but even doing slow manouvers in the car-park where she was testing, she managed to drop it (thankfully it was a scuffed second-hand one anyway).

I think that it's an issue of her self-confidence and not handling the machine properly, she was looking down in slow corners not at where she wants to go, and not giving it enough gas, so it tipped over. (She could have used the back brake to control the speed.)

Also complaining that she couldn't paddle it around - I told her to get off and wheel it from the side... But it's tough to get her to understand this stuff, so it's not looking good here. Really annoying, as it looks good, it's said to be built well, and the price is very fair.

Majesty / Burgman 400. Seat heights much lower - but much heavier - she can't really move it, and also these are out of our budget.

Gilera Nexus 300 - I didn't warm to it - not enough storage space, and a bit like an ars wannabe. (I have looked up the translation for 'ars' and it is like your 'chavs' in the UK...)

Piaggio Beverley 300 - very expensive for what it is, and wind protection doesn't look great for the motorway.

Various Korean - Kymco Grand Dink 250, Downtown 300, Xciting 300 / SYM Joymax 250, Joymax 300xi Maxsym 400

I know nothing about any of these except that they are the most popular two-wheeled vehicles in Israel. Everything here costs a fortune compared to the UK. I'm not keen to get involved as my experience with her Kymco was so dire, and I believe that these brands look nice for the first few thousand km, then start to look shabby, fall apart and get unreliable. Am I right about this, or are they really viable, worthwhile options these days?

Any advice appreciated, especially about the shortness issue (is the Xevo issue really confidence or is it a waste of time), and the Korean scooters. Also, any models that might fit the bill that I haven't mentioned above?

gn2

Re: Choosing a bigger scooter for the shorter other half

Post by gn2 »

If/when the new Honda Forza NSS300i is released it might suit.

anonstarter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Pending

Post by anonstarter »

Here's a great size reference website for the most popular bikes/scooters: http://cycle-ergo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kymco & SYM have a good reputation here in the UK.
If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative.

maxine500
Current Ride: T-Max Street Triple R

Post by maxine500 »

Thats cool anon!!

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

A burgman 250 is about the lowest Maxi-Scoot, there are some good cheap ones out there. I have a CB250 which has a very low seat and is very light, no, not the Superdream type, but a later Benly based bike, has the little twin Honda MC26 engine.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Mr Angry

Post by Mr Angry »

Seats can be remodelled to make them lower.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Mr Angry wrote:Seats can be remodelled to make them lower.
Or she could buy some platform shoes :D

I think she needs to be able to balance whatever scoot she gets while sitting down. It wouldn't be safe otherwise, if she suddenly had to stop while in the middles of a sharp slow turn for example.

I can vouch for the reliability and fun of the Xevo though, it's great fun and plenty quick for motorways even fully (over)loaded two up and 6000 mile service intervals too.

topper
Current Ride: Suzuki Hayabusa

Post by topper »

Thanks all for input so far: :)
Dave Weller wrote:A burgman 250 is about the lowest Maxi-Scoot, there are some good cheap ones out there. I have a CB250 which has a very low seat and is very light, no, not the Superdream type, but a later Benly based bike, has the little twin Honda MC26 engine.
Burgman 250 isn't available here, we get the 400 and 650. As a tiny country, we don't generally get a massive selection.
anonstarter wrote:Here's a great size reference website for the most popular bikes/scooters: http://cycle-ergo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kymco & SYM have a good reputation here in the UK.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Good to know that the Korean brands aren't too bad. Perhaps people over here don't look after them.
Mr Angry wrote:Seats can be remodelled to make them lower.
I heard this, but not sure how much can be achieved in practice, and it seems very dodgy to buy a scooter, cut the seat down, and still find that it doesn't fit (and the seat is ruined for resale).
rtfm wrote:
I think she needs to be able to balance whatever scoot she gets while sitting down. It wouldn't be safe otherwise, if she suddenly had to stop while in the middles of a sharp slow turn for example.

I can vouch for the reliability and fun of the Xevo though, it's great fun and plenty quick for motorways even fully (over)loaded two up and 6000 mile service intervals too.
I'm not so sure about this. *If* you have to stop in the middle of a sharp slow turn, give it some rear brake, slide off the seat a little, and get the foot down in the direction you're turning towards.

Of course, I'm not sure we should ever be stopping in the middle of a sharp slow turn. ;)

Very annoying to hear that the Xevo is so good. :(

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

I'd forget the Xevo (shame really) as she will not ever be happy with it from the sounds of it, trimmed seat or otherwise.

Not sure how old your Kymco was or whether you were unlucky but as said by others both Sym & Kymco have positive reputations in UK, although many still pay the extra for Jap brands (many made in those same Korean factories)

300/400cc sounds good option for you, but as you're not in the UK it's a bit difficult not knowing the models/prices you can select from.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

The thing that puts me off of Sym is the short service intervals. Are Kymcos better in this regard?