Branded or Chinese Import?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Re: Branded or Chinese Import?

Post by Drago »

I personally would not touch a chinese bike at the moment. Though I might do in the near future.
The thing that puts me off is reliabilty, parts supply and resale value. Obviously they are improving rapidly
and some makes are more trustworthy than others. Lexmoto, Sinnis, CF moto, WK & Boatian being the
main ones I'd be willing to try within the next few years.

In a way the chinese are about to go through the same thing SYM did in about 2007. Back then most people would of told me not to go anywere near a SYM! For prett y much the reasons I listed above. This (well the old) maxi-muppets had several members as did other forums that slated SYM's and reccommended japanese/Italian stuff instead! Now the attitude to SYM & Kymco has changed.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

i owner a chinese baotian BT125 cc Rocky in 2009 cost me £695 delivered on the road brand new, when i look back, as long as you know the crack on how to use your spanners etc, well servicing really as its new then you realistically get for a year then sell on on gumtree etc, i kept mine for 7mths and got £495 when i sold it on, so lost £200 as a quick sale, the downside is the quality of components used, i dont mean the engine as thats generally strong just ie bolts that can shear etc , the engines are strong and easy to maintain, if you look after one it will last and parts from petrol scooters etc are cheap for rollers £5, belts £10 etc. i changed my rollers a couple of times, too light to start with ( all revs no go) then got a good balance.
They are not in the same league as the Yamahas and honda 125cc but if you look after them they are easy to work on and parts are cheap, they are not really designed for 2 up riding, aand long trips away but as commuter doing 80 miles per gallon ish, and a steady 55mph it all depends on what you want it for, i enjoyed my experience, would i buy another one??/
Yes if i needed a transport from a to b ... not 2 up .. but if you dont know about basic mechanics they are a good starting point to learn your way around a scooter :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

pikey

Post by pikey »

well spent an hour or so trawling ebay IT USA DE German ebay seems to be the mecca for used burger 400 parts only place could find one part I need so going to have a punt ends next week in middle of my tour and doesnt say he ships to uk but shall have a punt on 2 parts I need looks like a guy breaking his own starting at 1 euro :D :D

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

£200 depreciation, plus what you spent on it (£50)? in just over 6 months!!
That's more than both my X9 500's cost for a year of running costs and they aren't depreciating much at all now.
Cheap chinese isn't that cheap.
I suppose compared to the £2000 depreciation a Tmax has in the first year, it's very reasonable, but a chinese 125 won't exactly put a huge grin on your face in the same way either. Looked at as pure convenience transport, I suppose it's not too bad, but if you also consider your bike as a hobby, a pleasurable experience and as a recreational vehicle too, then you need something that gives more satisfaction.
You will have to work hard to convince me that anything that is truly a Chinese product is much cop. Even the stuff made there by western companies is dragging their reputations for quality products downwards rapidly.

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

TmaX9 wrote:£200 depreciation, plus what you spent on it (£50)? in just over 6 months!!
That's more than both my X9 500's cost for a year of running costs and they aren't depreciating much at all now.
Cheap chinese isn't that cheap.
I suppose compared to the £2000 depreciation a Tmax has in the first year, it's very reasonable, but a chinese 125 won't exactly put a huge grin on your face in the same way either. Looked at as pure convenience transport, I suppose it's not too bad, but if you also consider your bike as a hobby, a pleasurable experience and as a recreational vehicle too, then you need something that gives more satisfaction.
You will have to work hard to convince me that anything that is truly a Chinese product is much cop. Even the stuff made there by western companies is dragging their reputations for quality products downwards rapidly.
i agree, it was a venture that i parted with purely on the grounds i needed more from my scooter, this was my first venture back on a scoot,i had been off riding bikes for 20 years with the family, having 4 kids and grandkids i thought it was my time to get a bike again and decided a scooter was the best option for me. So i opted for the cheaper option, if i had kept for a year the depreciation would be the same, yet i needed bigger and more of a bike ride and stability with being 2 up a lot of the time, i will never regret owning it but there is no comparison to the nexus, or any other scooter thats not chinese, like you said :bike as a hobby, a pleasurable experience and as a recreational vehicle too, then you need something that gives more satisfaction.
i started my 2 wheels in the 70`s i rode speedway in Halifax for a couple of years but never cut the league, then went trials riding with my ossa 250 that was great, it was a starter scooter with a learning curve i wont forget, i am happy with my nexus, i look after it and it looks after me :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

SOOTYGULL
Current Ride: Honda Forza 125

Post by SOOTYGULL »

I don't hold any strong views either way but recently watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzbcIgfwK5I.

This guy runs a motorcycle shop and gives his perspective on repairing them etc.

He has quiet a few motorcycle training videos which I have quite enjoyed.
Still Scooterin'