Buying without seeing

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
ericmcr
Current Ride: yamaha xmax 125

Buying without seeing

Post by ericmcr »

I've seen a piaggio Xevo 125 that I like but the problem is the scooter is in Peterborough and I'm in Manchester. Has anyone bought a bike they've never seen or ridden before or is it just a stupid idea that I should put right out of my head. It has a 12 month MOT and tax and its just been serviced.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Buying without seeing

Post by horobags »

Are you buying private or off a dealer eric? If buying off a photo, ask as many questions as poss, only pay on collection, and when collecting check it out before handing any dosh over. Not all people are as honest as they seem so tread carefully.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Not done it with a scooter but I've bought a house without viewing it first.

ericmcr

Post by ericmcr »

It's a private sale on ebay,The problem is I wouldn't see it until it was delivered to mine. Now I'm actually writing this down it doesn't seem like the best idea.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

I bought a Gilera vx125 for £1250 on ebay, without viewing it. A successful purchase, about £650 cheaper than the prices at dealers. I was well pleased.
I then bought my first Tmax for £1500. again without viewing. Another success and extra well pleased.

I've just bought a car for £900 on ebay without seeing it and maybe not such a bargain.
My seller was supposedly a mechanic and given it a service. I found the air filter was missing. Problems with the battery leads, nuts n bolts missing, other small annoying stuff.

So you may be lucky but don't believe all the write up.
If the purchase is a total disaster you could make a claim against a trader but not against private. (I don't think? )

I successfully sued a car trader who sold me a dodgy car a few years ago.

EastAnglian
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 S-Wing 125

Post by EastAnglian »

Never buy without seeing, if its buy it now on ebay just take your smart phone with you and buy it there and then after you've seen it? If the seller declines to let you view it first, walk away. After all mechanical troubles don't show up on photos usually (as liam has found with the car)
Travelling at several WTF's a minute

Turisu
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman AN400 K8

Post by Turisu »

I've bought plenty of scooters without seeing or riding them beforehand and have never yet had a bad experience as a result. I always make sure the seller is willing to provide plenty of pictures and answer a lot of questions about the condition and history. If the seller seems at all reluctant to provide full and detailed information or small previously-undeclared faults start to emerge on questioning then be prepared to walk away and look elsewhere. I don't think there's any set-in-stone rule about whether one should or shouldn't buy unseen; each case needs to be judged on its merits.

If you're at all unsure then post some more details of your communications with the seller here and I'm sure many helpful members will give you opinions on whether or not you should proceed. ;)

floridafil
Current Ride: SH300

Post by floridafil »

NEVER pay for any motor vehicle without first viewing.
I have bought many bikes/scooters off ebay but always pay only once I've had a good look around them.
Ask as many questions to satisfy yourself that it's what you are after and request detailed photos.
The worst that can happen is a wasted journey. If it's not as described when you see it, don't buy it.
Isn't it nice when things just work?
Previous
60 Kawasaki ER-6f
09 Honda SH300
56 Suzuki Bandit GSF650
54 Honda Deauville
52 Suzuki SV650
97 Yamaha XJ600
90 Kawasaki KLR250

ericmcr

Post by ericmcr »

This is the link to the scooter, hope it works

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-PIAGGIO- ... 338172d814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Id phone him and ask him what faults it has, as hes listed all the positive points but no negatives, and im sure its not like new , personally for 1500 quid id be looking for a honda fes 125, a great reliable scoot, ( just my opinion).
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.