Buying without seeing

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Buying without seeing

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've bought plenty of scoots unseen from dealers, but not privately. I'd be a bit hesitant about doing so - for one thing you want to examine the documents (V5, MOT etc) to make sure they look real. And of course, you must do an HPI or similar check before even thinking about buying.
I certainly wouldn't pay lots of money for it, without being certain its a good one. You must be prepared for there being an added risk with such a purchase.

i think the best advice might be to proceed with great caution - and if at any point you start to feel uneasy - even if just some vague feeling that somethings not quite right - walk away immediately. They'll be other scoots to buy.

Turisu
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman AN400 K8

Post by Turisu »

He doesn't say much about how it actually runs and nothing about service history so you definitely need more info there. Also, I'm automatically suspicious when I read broken or dodgy english in the wording of the ad (think of me what you will :p). Speak to the guy and see how fully he's prepared to answer your questions and what general feeling you get about the whole deal.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the bike seems to be missing the front mudguard. I understand this may have been removed for 'cosmetic' reasons but it's worth asking if he still has it to ensure there hasn't been any damage to it (and perhaps the bike generally).

EDIT: Is it me, or does it look like the rubber pads on the footplates are missing too (see handlebar pic)? I'm not familiar with this type of bike so I could be wrong. If this is the case and he's saying it looks like new then I'd be inclined to avoid it and keep looking.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

Good points Turisu. I'd be wary!
Also in the feedback,,21 Mar 11,, someone called him a dishonest seller , for his description of a Peugeot 206.
The bloke lost his deposit.
Then he sells it for more, 2 month later! And is called a great seller :?

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

i agree with above, although pic shows engine warmed up and no warning lights except fuel, i thought when looking at pics "do the footboards on the scoot have rubber mats"??? not sure on this model yet the boards seem wrong without mats, just a thought, but a lot of money, if in doubt then dont buy, if travelling is an issue then dont do it, there are lots of scoots out there as summer approaches, be picky and keep looking, dont keep loooking at the same thing as you get tunnel vision, and "i just want it" syndrome
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

michaelphillips wrote:dont keep loooking at the same thing as you get tunnel vision, and "i just want it" syndrome
I think I do that a lot!! :lol:
horobags wrote:Id phone him and ask him what faults it has, as hes listed all the positive points but no negatives, and im sure its not like new , personally for 1500 quid id be looking for a honda fes 125, a great reliable scoot, ( just my opinion).
But Mark, the Fes is ugly!! :kiss:

Or scrape some more money together and put a silly offer on this one. It's a lot nearer. But has it got an mot??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piaggio-125cc ... 1c31e6eb58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

just had a look at scoots in your area and so you dont have to travel and if you get a problem they generally are there to help...

Rochdale scooters have a Honda PCX 125 2011 in Black £1,495 4000 miles only had front panel damage which was replaced...
could be a bargain stop /start engine or turn it off All Documents Available Including HPI, this is £500 cheaper that anything even on ebay

http://www.rochdalescooters.com/scootersforsale.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they are also showing a Yamaha XC 125 Vity 2012 Model on gumtree, i prefer the above Honda HPI clear
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... 1017346881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D :D :D :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Turisu
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman AN400 K8

Post by Turisu »

Confirmed by looking at better examples of the XEVO that the footboards do indeed have mats that are missing from this one. That and the missing mudguard make me think that this seller's definition of looking "like new" is very different to mine. I wouldn't be inclined to believe anything he told me about the running condition of the bike. Avoid would be my advice. ;)

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

I wouldn't buy anything unseen from someone with this feedback: dis-honest seller,roof doest work,lied in his listing,refuses to return deposit!
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

ericmcr
Current Ride: yamaha xmax 125

Post by ericmcr »

Thanks for all the advice, I noticed the front mudguard but not the footboards also his feedback although generally good the most expensive item he has sold has negative comments so I think i'll give this one a miss & keep on looking. Theres a x8 for sale in manchester so I might go & have a look at that.

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

He hasn't stated what payment methods he accepts nor if he expects payment in full or a deposit to hold until you collect. So if you win it, and when you turn up it does not match the description then you can walk away and he can't lodge a no-pay claim with Paypal. It looks OK in the pictures, the exhaust doesn't look repainted and the shockers are still clean, no scratches and obvious defects, so if it's what you want then it's probably worth a shot. After all you can trawl round the dealers for weeks and eventually find a nice looking bike that can still turn out to be a money pit and miss better bikes because you get beaten to them.