cheap integra

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: cheap integra

Post by horobags »

I didnt find the nc over vibey, it reminded me if the yam tdm 900 I had a few years ago, both big cc twins, so some vibes are a character of the engine configuration.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

I have had an nc700x dct for a month now having previously owned 2 burgman 400 and a piaggio x10. I can honestly say overall the ride quality is far superior..engine pick up great and good fuel economy!!

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

gn2 wrote:
poldark wrote:The design is "a game changer" as reported in multiple press launch reviews, has extended service intervals, low rpm/high torque character, low friction design, day-to-day practical powerband easily accessible. They should be applauded for creating a design to suit 90% of realworld usage, rather than continuing max bhp race.
It's half a Honda Jazz car engine ffs.
If they had created a new engine from scratch then perhaps it would have been more impressive but as it is with a 270 crank and shocking vibration, the design sucks a big one.
It is a new engine from scratch, the half a Jazz engine is about as accurate as saying the B650 is half a Busa engine. It may have been the starting principle but it is a completely new design.

Project leader Soya Uchida laughed: “I got a hacksaw and cut a Jazz engine in half, but it really didn’t run very well, so we had to put some more work into the NC700X.”

You clearly have sensitivity to vibes, or rode an especially strange one, mine was absolutely fine and no one on the NC owners forum raises "shocking vibration", it has been a sales success so I can't see it being that poor, perhaps you should try a BMW 800 is you want real vibes.

There is vibration but none that would bother you, and the torque is spread generously where you most need and use it. (Kevin Ash)

The 270 degree was intentional as many Hondas are criticised for being soulless (I hated CBF100 as it was so dull and unengaging), it matches the TDM900 I had so maybe I have a soft-spot for the sound & feel.

What can’t be understated is the originality and importance of this new approach to engine design. (Kevin Ash)

Kevin Ash article
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

gn2

Post by gn2 »

poldark wrote:The 270 degree was intentional
This is the root of why I despise it.
To design vibration into this engine on purpose is just criminal.

And while quoting the sadly departed Kevin Ash is topical, here's something else he wrote:

"This is why, during the bike’s development, the NC team had meetings once or twice a month with Honda’s car division. The bike’s 670cc, twin-cylinder power unit is in essence half a four-cylinder Honda Jazz car engine. "

source

poldark

Post by poldark »

It may have started out from the Jazz, but the full article makes it very clear (along with the quote I used from Honda's Project Lead) that it was significantly developed from there and the continual involvement of the Motor people was more about changing the bike engine development process.

But it's just too easy to stick with "it's half a Honda Jazz".
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Lets not get too fixated on the Jazz angle, the fact remains that rather than use their considerable engineering talent and resources to design a silky smooth vibration free power plant, Honda instead chose to build a dog.
I've ridden bikes from three decades ago that were considerably smoother so there's absolutely no excuse.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

gn2 wrote:
poldark wrote:The 270 degree was intentional
This is the root of why I despise it.
To design vibration into this engine on purpose is just criminal.
I must admit I tend to agree with you - in principle at least. I do cringe when I hear that 'motorcycle character' has been built into a scooter engine, I have visions of ancient Harley vibes etc. However, I haven't ridden the Honda NC engine, but I have ridden the BMW C600 which has a similar 270deg crank. I wasn't impressed with the BMW at low speeds as it was vibey, but it was fine in normal use, and did make a fabulous noise when thrashed! So I dunno! I do like the smoothness of the TMax, though they seem to be trying to muck around with the exhaust to give it a slightly more distinctive burble.
270deg crank apart, I do like the engine and DCT gearbox engineering philosophy of the NC Hondas, though I'm not overly sure how good the riding experience is. And whilst the manual N700s are very economical, there have been a few mentions that the DCT versions aren't nearly as economical, which suggests that the DCT gearbox isn't as efficient as you think it should be.

poldark

Post by poldark »

Well this is just proving we're all different, as I'd readily admit to hating vibes, but clearly nowhere near the level of GN2.

I once did about a half mile test-ride on an SV650, as it was horrid, yet at the time it was THE recommended smaller bike. Similarly hated the BMW F800R, which for me was all tingles through the bars, just like an R1150GS I tried out once.

But I had my TDM900 (270 degree) for 3.5 years and to me was very smooth with excellent low-down accessible grunt, just like the NC700X I test rode.

So one persons vibes are another's acceptable engine characteristics - is there an accepted measure of vibes so we can quote some agreed scale??
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I enjoyed my TDM, torquey and a bit lumpy at low revs, the nc is similar like Ive already said, I found both bikes more enjoyable than a cbf 600 ( 4 cylinder) which is really smooth but a bit bland. Saying that I wouldnt want a vibey twin in a maxi scoot,
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

poldark wrote:is there an accepted measure of vibes so we can quote some agreed scale??
Not sure if there's an industry standard scale, but the car industry puts lots of effort into eliminating NVH.
Such a shame that the bike industry doesn't deem it a priority.