Warranty or not ??? What are the risks

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Peterp1per
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Warranty or not ??? What are the risks

Post by Peterp1per »

Recently aquired an L2 with 15 months warranty reamaing.

It's going on it's holidays to Portugal for 8 months or so but just now needs a 4K mile service. In reallity I've already done this as the work is just an oil change and a good coat of looking at.

My nearest Suzuki dealer is 30 miles away and were not the supplying dealer anyway so it's a total bind and a whole day lost.
If I take it to a local independent the oil change is all they will do, (again) but they will stamp the 'book'

I bet the chances of getting any warranty work in Portugal is a fat zero not including the costs of getting it to a Suzuki Dealer in the first place. So on my return I will have 4 or 5 months warranty left and it won't have got to the 8K mark or even close.

The warranty doesn't obviously cover any wearing items so it would have to be an electrical/sensor/ecu fault. Or some disasterous mechanical failure in the big hot oily bits.

Basically it's just a punt, but how do you estimate the odds against a 150 quid stake, do I feel lucky? How reliable have these things proved to be.
I'm really just buying limited breakdown insurance.

The previous keeper seems to have got rid very quickly which rings a few alarm bells, but it's been fine the last 300 miles I've had it.

Also I keep reading that Suzuki are not the easiest to deal with on warranty issues anyway and I don't need any exercises in anger management.

Resale doesn't bother me as I don't plan to, at least not to anyone who would be impressed by a few service stamps.

Peterp1per

Re: Warranty or not ??? What are the risks

Post by Peterp1per »

Oh I forgot to mention, it's going in a nice comfy van, not being ridden there.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Guessing a bit on oil change pricing but I'd clearly forget the Suzuki dealer, however I think I'd pay for a decent local place to do a minor service/check and stamp the book (assuming 50/60 quid).

At least that way should anything catastrophic befall you in Portugal you can bring her back at the end and approach Suzuki UK, if there's no joy at all in Portugal.

Not sure what the arrangement in Portugal are, but Google throws up a list of dealers but no idea if they're Car and/or not Bike ones?

Linky
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Peter, from the reliability side, the Burgman 400 if looked after as per the service schedule, is super reliable. These engines just go and go and can cover huge mileages and take huge abuse without a problem. Yes, I'm biased but only because I did my homework before I bought one and I know how good they are. I have friends too (yes...I really do!) that have had them longer than me with no problems. The B400 2007+ is also one of the easiest bikes to spanner on that I've ever owned. It's a good diy'er and a keeper in my book. The earlier ones are good too but require a bit more maintainance and it's a little more time consuming to get to stuff.

Regarding the 4k service, I'd get it done and book stamped if I were you just so you can take advantage of the warranty should you need to. Suzuki are ok to deal with for warranty work and no different to any other make. If you do the service yourself don't forget to clean the transmission air filter. Almost everyone forgets this every 1800 miles. It makes a huge difference to the transmission running temp if it gets blocked. Nothing much else to do though at 4k, it's an interim service only.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Peterp1per

Post by Peterp1per »

Many thanks, I guess I'll take to a local independent for the magic stamp. Looks like the lower plastic has to come off to get the air filter out, I'd better practice this because there will be mucho dust in Portugal.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah...it's easy. You don't actually need to completely remove the lower plastic. Just remove the rubber mat that side and undo the screws, nuts and remove the plastic retainers. Pop the plastic free enough so you can easily get the filter cover off. Then just undo the nuts holding it. Hoover it first then wash in cold water with lots of fairy liquid, rinse and let dry. 10 min jobs! Mine had straw, dirt and just about everything else you encounter on the roads stuck to it.

Peterp1per

Post by Peterp1per »

Ok that sounds easy enough, btw I chickened out and booked the Suzuki agent to do the stamping.

I still have lingering doubts as to why the last owner got rid, I'm sure I didn't give him more than trade price so I think he must have fallen out with the supplying dealer.

There's a used spark plug in the toolkit?? .......and having done a few miles I think there might be an issue with clutch judder, doesn't bother me but if I had paid over 5K it might.

Also while I am not exactly a boring rider (ok yes I am boring) the mpl display has crept up steadily since I've had it, so he might have caned it a bit.

Ah well time will tell

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

I wouldn't worry about the possibility of any problems on a bike or car that was sold with remaining manufacturers warranty on it. If there were any problems the owner would have had it fixed within the warranty period.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Peterp1per wrote:Ok that sounds easy enough, btw I chickened out and booked the Suzuki agent to do the stamping.

I still have lingering doubts as to why the last owner got rid, I'm sure I didn't give him more than trade price so I think he must have fallen out with the supplying dealer.

There's a used spark plug in the toolkit?? .......and having done a few miles I think there might be an issue with clutch judder, doesn't bother me but if I had paid over 5K it might.

Also while I am not exactly a boring rider (ok yes I am boring) the mpl display has crept up steadily since I've had it, so he might have caned it a bit.

Ah well time will tell
Peter, In case it's useful, I posted this on a well known American Burgman site (I'm the guy with the avatar working on his computer)...click the link to go there concerning your clutch. You need to login to see the pictures though.
Here it is: Burgman clutch fix with photos...

I agree with Steve, you don't need to worry. And the clutch judder is not really an issue. To fix it is almost like changing the spark plug...it's about as easy as that.

Peterp1per

Post by Peterp1per »

Thanks for that, do you think I should take out the new K&N air filter and put the dirty original back in before letting the Suzuki man do his stuff? I really don't want to but I suppose he might get on his high horse...................