Burgman issues

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
pikey

Re: Not sure what to do...

Post by pikey »

Still gets flack for its faults and not perfect I know and new ones better faults ironed out but fact is 400 an X 1999 models still taxed and on road and 296 of the an400 Y as well so basically 696 pre K2 facelift model thats before we get to K3 injection in 2003

pikey

Post by pikey »

heres link k2 at top scroll down to earlier ones

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2% ... rgman+400+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

pikey wrote:heres link k2 at top scroll down to earlier ones

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2% ... rgman+400+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seems my nexus 500 is a dying breed :lol: only 76 on road and 11 sorn :cry: :cry: if i read it right

i can understand why :D

well im a happy bunny really.. mine is exceptional touch me head .. done a lot of general servicing over last 3 years besides oil and filter, now the two boys are at there last school i will be doing less school runs so my 42,000 miles now will go down to 4000 a year, so fingers crossed will last me my scootering life, unless i will the lottery :lol: :lol: :lol:
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

pikey wrote:Still gets flack for its faults and not perfect I know and new ones better faults ironed out but fact is 400 an X 1999 models still taxed and on road and 296 of the an400 Y as well so basically 696 pre K2 facelift model thats before we get to K3 injection in 2003
In reality, it didn't really have many faults as far as I can see. Back wheels seizes on the splines due to corrosion etc and sometimes the splines pack up, but if maintained properly that never happens. Everything else is down to maintenance too I think. Good bikes.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

pikey

Post by pikey »

Position of breather pipe and spitting its oil owners not checking then engine seizes oil pressure light would have helped

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

pikey wrote:You banged on for 6 months getting bigger scoot for longer runs now you just need a top box on the sym why didnt you just do that in first place .
Because I wanted more power as well. For I was thinking of doing even more trips in the future that I wouldn't want to do on my 250. The Burgman I bought because it was close and well priced £1200 for a 10500mile machine so I went for it. The only other machine I was thinking of getting was a Silverwing. I waited for either at the right price and distance to appear and one did, the Burgman. Like I said it's great on motorways and dual carriageways. But with shopping it develops handling issues and it makes this urr...urr.. urrr sound, but only in town with shopping. This doesn't happen in town (or elsewhere) without shopping for some reason?

I found it's initial acceleration is not much better than the SYM. Perhaps it's a problem with the belt/tranmission. It's RPM is pretty much identical to the SYM, but surely it should really be a little lower? I've been thinking further and think I will take my burgman to a dealer for a check first. If it turns out its fine then it'll have to go. But if there is a problem then i'll fix it (if it's not stupidly expensive) and keep it as this will solve the most serious issues i'm having with it.

I just looked at the service history and have realised the belt may have possibly never been changed. I thought it had, but it turns out it was the rollers not the belt... Maybe thats whats wrong. I know a worn belt will effect performance, but can it also effect handling, with a heavy load by any chance?
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Drago
Benefactor

Post by Drago »

Data wrote:Drago, a dilema I know but gn speaks sound advice. Or...if it were me, I think I'd sell both and get the later 2007+ Burgman which is altogether much more versatile, different and more powerful, different frame and suspension for better all round handling, easier maintenance, more space etc etc. That's not to defile the earlier version which is good, but I reckon yours is very tired if it handles like that. I heard just a couple of weeks ago of someone buying a used late 2010 L0 Burgman 400 in showroom nick for just £2495. I've seen it and it's unmarked! IT HAD JUST OVER 400 MILES on the clock with full service history! Even the battery was being maintained regularly and it was ridden every month for a single 11 mile journey so it's in good nick inside and the fork seals are fine. Now, it's worth much more than that but was being sold due to family bearevment and they just wanted rid. If you keep looking around they are out there from time to time and anyway, can be picked up everyday for not too much more. Get the 2010 onwards if you can as it has several better feature technically which make it a better bike ie: higher revving engine, thicker stronger top piston ring for reduced piston flutter at high revs, reduced final drive ratio etc etc to reduce clutch wear.
My SYM GTS 250 is going nowhere. It was my very first Maxi, my first non learner legal machine and its staying until it goes bang. I was tempted by a 2009 model Burgman with 35000miles for £2250, but the clutch issues has completely put me off the new model Burgmans. TBH I would go for a Maxsym over K7+ Burgman... Not that it's a bad machine, but my SYM has been almost completely reliable. If only it had more power...
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Drago
Benefactor

Post by Drago »

pikey wrote:Still gets flack for its faults and not perfect I know and new ones better faults ironed out but fact is 400 an X 1999 models still taxed and on road and 296 of the an400 Y as well so basically 696 pre K2 facelift model thats before we get to K3 injection in 2003
The carb Burgmans do keep there value. I've seen many going for nearly £2000, I thought my K3 was a steal for £1200!
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Burgman issues

Post by Data »

Drago, if she isn't handling right when loaded it may be down to seized, corroded or worn out engine mounting bushes. They do become noisey as they go. That could be the noise you are refering to. You may be due a bit of attention to the transmission by the sound of it. Maybe the rollers are worn and it's just revving too much. It should handle better than you are describing though. It may be a combination of things causing the dubious handling when loaded. Wheel bearings too can cause handling issues if they become dry or worn. A dealer should be able to find the problem. It could be worth it.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Drago wrote:

I found it's initial acceleration is not much better than the SYM. Perhaps it's a problem with the belt/tranmission. It's RPM is pretty much identical to the SYM, but surely it should really be a little lower? I've been thinking further and think I will take my burgman to a dealer for a check first. If it turns out its fine then it'll have to go. But if there is a problem then i'll fix it (if it's not stupidly expensive) and keep it as this will solve the most serious issues i'm having with it.
Early Burgers especially were notorious for terrible initial acceleration. They were the sort of scooter that Mr Malossi designed his replacement variators for! If you are thinking about changing the belt, you could consider a new variator as well.