MPG on my AN400ZA

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
ba249k
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman AN 400 ZA

MPG on my AN400ZA

Post by ba249k »

I have just had my second tank full in my AN400ZA , mostly around town running with the odd 5 mile dash on a A road.
I appear to be getting about 68mpg ( brimming and recording miles ) which is slightly less than the on board says but it's marginal.
No long trips planned, so I'll have to wait to see what I get on a decent run?
Any ideas on what to expect?
Cheers
Baz. :roll:

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: MPG on my AN400ZA

Post by Data »

On longer runs it will depend on what speeds you adhere to, as always of course. But ridden solo on a cross country run on 'A' & 'B' road with some dual carriageway mileage too, I can easily hit the 78-80mpg mark. Best figure I've achieved is 91mpg dead on at a fairly steady 50-55mph cross country. My trip computer reads around 2-4% lower than I actually get. Pencil and paper brim to brim I get more mpg!! On Mottza's pie and mash run last weekend I averaged 82.4mpg for the days riding on mixed roads. That was with very little dual carriageway miles though. I go to to Birmingham from time to time and solo at 70mph I get around the 76-77mpg area. When you fill up remember to 'burp' the tank as you don't get a proper brim fill without doing that. Just rock her back and forth gently when the fuel bubbles to the brim and suddenly it belches and the fuel level drops down inside the tank. Do that each time. You can 'burp' it three times at least and it gets about another half to two thirds of a litre in the tank I reckon. Town work hit the fuel economy as you would expect. Mine never drops below 72mpg in town but it depends what town and how much traffic you get stuck in! Overall, they are a very cheap bike to run fuel wise.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

GTscootz
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by GTscootz »

My Silverwing seems to be a lady, she don't burp like the Burger did

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

I don't always check but when I have it's between high 70s and 80 mpg occasionally better on a run.

I wouldn't worry about it until things have had a few thousand miles to loosen up/bed in. On some bikes I've had a definate improvement after the first service, can't remember if the Burgman was one of them - Data will know more about how all that stuff works.

Careful with the burping, mine did a little sick the first time I tried it so be gentle :)
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

luandablue
Current Ride: Honda PCX

Post by luandablue »

I just ride it, fill it, ride it, fill it. The onboard comp is as good a guide as any to monitor economy - try to avoid stop start traffic that makes the reading plummet, whereas continuous open road riding helps it rise. There's no accurate way to work out mpg with the equipment we have available to us as there are too many complex variables to factor in. Brimming the tank, you'll get more in on a cool day than a warm day. And the warmer it is, the more likely it is you're burping out petrol vapour rather than air, so you're releasing fuel you've already paid for to make space for more.

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

Hey Steve, I sent you a PM but it doesn't seem to have gone from my outbox?

Definately hard to be spot-on accurate. I've heard the hot day/cold day thing before but I don't understand it - isn't fuel stored underground where the temperature is fairly constant icon_scratch.gif
The Ugly Bunch-1

luandablue

Post by luandablue »

Just checked and have got the PM, Mark. Thanks for the info.

I don't think there's much in it at the volumes we're dealing in. But we've got a readout provided on our bikes - may as well use it for comparison as go to the trouble of working out an equally imprecise number.

I think mine is getting better as the mileage goes up. It's going in for a service this week - maybe that'll help it too.

Bluebottle
Benefactor

Post by Bluebottle »

Fair enough, I just read it off the dash too.

I'm glad Data made and posted the comparison though - that the readout is a consistent % below brimming figures, that gives me confidence that the readout isn't outrageously off.

I only check occasionally just to be sure nothing is going wrong
The Ugly Bunch-1

luandablue

Post by luandablue »

Yes, I hope Data's calcs are right. The number on the screen is impressive enough for me - great news if the true figure is a couple of % more. Whatever it is in reality, it works out a lot cheaper than a rail ticket and is a lot more enjoyable.