sat nav

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
terryvanman
Benefactor

sat nav

Post by terryvanman »

My Garmin 700 just gave up today,,,when I plugged it into the ciggie lighter it came on and then "Battery Low" sign came up and it went blank. I turned it on again and the Garmin sign comes up and then it just died,,,,,There is power going to the unit [well the plug is showing a little red light] but nothing ..it just turns off,,,
So what do I do,,it's an old unit buy todays standards 4 years or more and the latest Garmins are getting cheaper...do I get it fixed is it a silly problem,,,Or do I buy a new one, If I buy new which one do I go for? it's only for the van,, not the scoot. Budget around £100

Help
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: sat nav

Post by Bluebottle »

Go for the obvious first. Try another charger and look at the female socket's terminals from inside if you can get the back off. Sometimes the spring goes out of them and they just need bending back so that they make a good contact.

Can you get access to the batteries without damaging it?
Might be worth a punt at changing them. Deep cycle batteries don't cost so much these days

I doubt if you can get a repair for less than the cost of a new unit
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

SoloSzabi
Current Ride: Tmax Mk2

Post by SoloSzabi »

Smart phone and Navfree app! :) You just have to buy a smartphone holder ( personally I use interphone one) and download Navfree ( free sat nav application - I work for the company) from iTunes or Android market. It is a free application and you can use it abroad without data connection, so no roaming charge....
Are we there yet?

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

I would just get a new sat nav for what they cost now.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Guessing you want European maps, do you want to stick to Garmin especially, if not this seems decent price.

Tom Tom
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

My Garmin 550 went t**s up just before the Scotlandshire trip, got a new battery online for 20 odd notes delivered..works again it's just me that forgets to take it out with me.. :oops:

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

SoloSzabi wrote:Smart phone and Navfree app! :) You just have to buy a smartphone holder ( personally I use interphone one) and download Navfree ( free sat nav application - I work for the company) from iTunes or Android market. It is a free application and you can use it abroad without data connection, so no roaming charge....
+1 from me. I used NavFree in Lanzarote earlier this summer and is now my main sat nav. The "proper" sat nav is never used anymore.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125