"Sports" scooters

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

"Sports" scooters

Post by Bluebottle »

I'm not looking to start a fight but I've got a genuine question

I've never understood sports scooters, the idea or the styling. Possibly because the attraction of a scooter for me is the comfort and load carrying, it is what they are good at. If I wanted sporty I'd go for light weight, short wheelbase and gears - a sports bike. Start with the best tool for the job rather than compromise the best bits of something else.

Mind you, I don't get sports hatches/saloons either. A sports car to me has 2 seats, no roof and rock hard suspension.

I've been lucky enough to play around with some powerful machinery (over 4,000 HP) so I get the appeal of speed and muscle. I also like "sleepers" as they were called in my day (V8 powered Ford Anglia was a hoot) and the idea of a surprisingly quick scooter makes me smile in the same way.

Physical impairment can make an auto or step-through a practical choice, I understand that.
I kind of like the looks of the Gp800 and latest Tmax and not everyone likes the fat arsed burger. I definately believe you should ride what you want and everybody is different, I've got no interest on trying to change anyone's mind.

So, what am I missing, why do you like your sports scooter?
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: "Sports" scooters

Post by Funkycowie »

I like a sports scooter because... I don't like messing around with gears and I like to have some storage that does not involve a top box or panniers but am not adverse to chucking them on if I want to. I also like the usually sharper styling.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

I like a sports scooter because . . . . . . . . . keeping up with power rangers and passing some on B and twisty A roads is so childish but ooooh so much fun. Due to me also being a little bit ill humping a fuel tank as it were on a sports bike don't do me any good. l also run a xv1100 cruiser, chopped a little, again a totally different ride but could not say which is best, they both have merit. I also seem to ride slower on the faster bike, go figure
Never instal version 1.0

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

I'm not sure what is classed as a sports scooter. Tmax? Gp800?
I'd gone from Lambrettas to Vespas to Gilera Runners then saw the Tmax and just liked the look of it.
I didn't know much about big scooters and I've never considered a motorbike due to being abused by bikers as a youth!
Motorbikes all look the same to me! And I dont like many other maxis.
Anyway, what's the obsession with storage? I'll take the car, if necessary or fit my top box in a few mins.

I just like the fact I can ride like like a granny in the slow lane,, then ride like a twat if I want to.
On a motorbike you seem to be obliged to speed all the time which can lead to bad riding. Especially if I'm following you :twisted:

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

I have ridden all types of scooters and i love the sports scooters, my Nexus was great as it handled brilliantly on the twisty roads and comfyish on motorway roads. I also like the styling of sports scooters and never care for top boxes or storage.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

Post by spaceprobe »

There are some words in the English language that are over used and are often only used to fool the buyer that they are getting something very different or upmarket, executive, luxury and sports come to mind. For example when do you ever see a new build flat for sale that is not designated as a luxury or an executive development it seems nobody sells a regular flat any more! Folks will know from my other posts that I am keen on the new 600 SYM, if I go for one it will probably be the sports model. Why this one because I like the matt black colour with the red stripes. This is the same reason it is called a sports model, no mechanical reason only the colour scheme, seems a little daft to me.
Maximum respect

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Another such is the Yamaha Xmax "Sport", cut down screen, different seat stitching, colour scheme and weirdly a pillion backrest (wtf?) that'll be an extra £300 please...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Actually, I don't think there any real 'Sports' scooters.
Some are branded as sports, but this really just amounts to a flash paint job. The Tmax is labelled a 'Sports' scooter, but that only really means it handles well. There aren't any scoots where performance is the only criteria and everything else (comfort, luggage etc) has been sacrificed, which I would suggest would be a true sports scooter, like a sportsbike is designed to go fast round a track, and nothing else matters.
The brilliance of a maxi-scoot is that it can do a wide range of things very well. And that can include being ridden enthusiastically, though not at sportsbike speeds!

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

I was thinking more of sports styling, skinny tails exposing rear wheels etc rather than something that actually has some poke
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I remember an old boss of mine had a brand new Audi company car, first time out in it with him it nearly killed me by shaking me close to death. I asked what was wrong and he sheepishly replied that he'd specified 'sport' suspension. I couldn't wait to get back in my Astra!