I'm back.....for my daughter this time

For members who own little scooters.
Mark
Benefactor
Current Ride: Sharing daughters lexmoto Dart

I'm back.....for my daughter this time

Post by Mark »

Haven't been on forum for a while. Last going off I sold scooter and bought a child's 50cc off roader. Anyway that's gone. Haven't owned a scooter since but daughter is 17 now and learning to drive a car. With the cost of a car ,insurance tax etc and my daughter is in collage, I have won my wife and mother over to allow her a 50cc moped or 125 to visit friends and get her to her Saturday job a few miles away.

I am willing to buy her a newish 50cc scooter or roughly 5-7year old 125 for about £1000. Insurance for a 1 year old piaggio 50 zip is around £375 compared to a et4 125cc of £575.

Got helmet and gloves for her and a cbt would cost me £95.

She has a new bicycle in shed that she's used very little and I was looking at an electric kit for it :roll: £400

Any advice please ?
Current ride 2011 Honda Lead 110.
Previous scooters include, Honda Pantheon FES125 2003, Gilera Runner 180sp 2002. Suzuki AP 50 1998.
Previous bikes include, Honda CRF50 2004, Suzuki TS50 X 1989, Honda MTX 125 1986.

burgerman
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda FJS600 Silverwing

Re: I'm back.....for my daughter this time

Post by burgerman »

Mark wrote:
She has a new bicycle in shed that she's used very little :roll:

Any advice please ?
She's young - tell her to cycle, explain how good it is for the figure, and how she'll have money left over for clothes, shoes, going out with her mates! :lol:
Might be worth a try. Mind you, didn't work with my kids! :)
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander......sometimes it buggers off completely!!
You can't avoid growing up, but you can be immature all your life!

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Is there a Wheels To Work scheme near where you live?

http://www.wheels2workassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark
Benefactor

Post by Mark »

gn2 wrote:Is there a Wheels To Work scheme near where you live?

http://www.wheels2workassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link but checked the website and nothing for Wales region :(

Problem around here are the BIG hills. Down and up :P :!: Don't mind getting her either scooter. I believe it would be a good learning tool for any potential young DRIVER :o

Please keep views coming :!:
Previous scooters include, Honda Pantheon FES125 2003, Gilera Runner 180sp 2002. Suzuki AP 50 1998.
Previous bikes include, Honda CRF50 2004, Suzuki TS50 X 1989, Honda MTX 125 1986.

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

i would probably go for the Honda NSC Vision 50cc YET the piaggio liberty 50cc as this has bigger wheels and easier to maneuver , bit like riding a pushbike with a throttle.. and better as lighter than the first and so is the Sym Symphony 50cc both would be my prefered type if my son was asking... another year till he is sixteen though :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Unless I'm very out of touch with rule changes she can (at 17) ride a 125, which is what you should buy and not a 50cc.

50cc is limited I believe to 30mph, which will make her a liability on roads and those hills will be problematic. Any working 125 should reach and maintain 50mph, where required, I got an old SH125 that I share with my son. It benefits from 16" wheels and is more like a motorised bicycle, it copes better with poor road surfaces and is easy to ride and maintain.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Mark
Benefactor

Post by Mark »

Had a chance to look at the bigger wheel scooters for example honda sh125 and piaggio liberty 125 would fit the bill. I do also think that a125 would be SAFER for her than a 50cc with power and overall speed.

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

Mark wrote:Had a chance to look at the bigger wheel scooters for example honda sh125 and piaggio liberty 125 would fit the bill. I do also think that a125 would be SAFER for her than a 50cc with power and overall speed.
good thinking.. the honda sh125 would be a good bet where you live, in london ,not so as a lot of them are used for knowledge bikes, but shows there durability and reliability, so do high miles so a second hand one would be a good bet :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Piaggio B125's are pretty good big wheel scoots, that was my starting scooter and loved it. I also think getting a 50cc would not be good, I am a strong believer of the theory that most kids riding 50ccs are so frustrated by the low power that it makes them do everything they can to a. go everywhere maxed out and b. max it out every where they go so they destroy it and end up being given a 125.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

michaelphillips wrote:
Mark wrote:Had a chance to look at the bigger wheel scooters for example honda sh125 and piaggio liberty 125 would fit the bill. I do also think that a125 would be SAFER for her than a 50cc with power and overall speed.
good thinking.. the honda sh125 would be a good bet where you live, in london ,not so as a lot of them are used for knowledge bikes, but shows there durability and reliability, so do high miles so a second hand one would be a good bet :D
I bought (well exchanged my busted Burger 650 actually) for an SH125 from a North London dealer just over two years ago. It had been used as a daily commuter and had 18k miles on it and looked a bit tatty, but given it'd be my son's first ride and was listed at only £650 and his size 12 feet fitted, I was happy.

It's now at 25.5k miles and other than a new front tyre and front disc/pads, all it's needed is couple of cheap (1 ltr) oil changes (no filter just a mesh to clean out) and an air filter swap to foam. Oh and a new speedo cable, that I managed to bust going into an enormous pothole in the car park of the MOT place.

All parts are readily available and very cheap, Honda price their parts based on bike cc (or some such weird calculation) so an OEM speedo cable was cheaper than pattern, I guess many owners just buy off EBay without checking.

I recently treated it to Dr Pulley sliders, though the rollers weren't worn, and she goes pretty well and returns circa 100mpg, so certainly recommended by me!
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)