NC700 DCT X or S?

Chat about any motorbike here.
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Re: NC700 DCT X or S?

Post by Taipan »

gn2 wrote:What annoyed me most was that it changed when I wasn't expecting or wanting it to.
The NC700X I rode definitely jerked with each change but it had less than 300 miles on the clock.
I just don't like DCT at all and I wouldn't buy a bike equipped with it.
The internal gubbins is extremely complex and would probably cost an arm and a leg to fix should something go wrong.

Ah I see, yes, you're going to lose selection control but that's obviously the point of an auto. At least you do get a manual option to play with too. No doubt it isn't for everyone though. Certainly becoming more popular with riders now. I find the DCT really interesting and look forward to trying it. I hope it doesn't go wrong on me though as I too suspect it will be hideously expensive.

In case anyone hasn't seen this vid and is interested in how it works etc

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

gn2 wrote:
Taipan wrote:Surely its supposed to change down through the gears?
You're riding along in traffic in fourth gear and junction traffic lights ahead change to red.
Do you:

a: brake and stop then change into neutral once stopped because you know you will be at the lights for a while
b: change down through all the gears into first as you brake to a stop because you can't see and are unaware of the reason why you are slowing

I always brake and change down at the same time. I always want to be in the optimum gear for moving in case the person behind me hasnt seen me until too late etc.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Taipan wrote:you're going to lose selection control but that's obviously the point of an auto
I would rather have properly seamless and smooth CVT than a computer controlled manual.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Taipan wrote:I always want to be in the optimum gear for moving in case the person behind me hasnt seen me until too late etc.
You make a good case for CVT.... :lol:

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

As for reliability - Well I'm on 2 NC forums and there's a reasonable number of DCT machines about. So far I have come across 1 sensor failure and that is all. Even on that one the chap who owned it stated Honda wanted to know the full ins and outs of the failure.
The odd machine has been stuck in gear on the USA forum (so not quite American proof though....hahaha :D ).
The DCT gearbox and clutches have more than likely been over engineered by Honda and I'm sure they'll give a very long trouble free riding experience way beyond the 95% of owners who change their bikes every few years. The odd sensor may pack up, but these aren't expensive. I think the sensor that was replaced was around £65 mark ( if I remember rightly)
SEAT MO

gn2

Post by gn2 »

How easy is it for the owner to diagnose any faults?
£65 for the sensor isn't the whole story....

wozza
Benefactor

Post by wozza »

gn2 wrote:How easy is it for the owner to diagnose any faults?
£65 for the sensor isn't the whole story....
Ah that I have no idea. All I can say at the moment is that so far DCT is proving itself very reliable. On a personal level I have no worries about the system whatsoever, but only time will prove or disprove how good a system it is.

I do realise however, that it isn't to your taste which is fair enough - It won't suit everyone.
SEAT MO

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Still in its infancy, but likely to be pretty reliable long term because it isn't Italian or on a BMW.
I think it woud be great for people who are unable to operate a clutch or gear lever due to disability,

wozza
Benefactor

Post by wozza »

gn2 wrote:Still in its infancy, but likely to be pretty reliable long term because it isn't Italian or on a BMW.
I think it woud be great for people who are unable to operate a clutch or gear lever due to disability,
Yes very true. Personally I would have like to have seen ithe NC with belt drive, as the latest 750 Harley is just slightly more powerful and heavier than the NC.
I'm sure Honda could have designed DCT with a belt final drive, but I don't haven't knowledge to know how difficult this would be.
SEAT MO

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

How many miles did you do on your test ride on the dct nc700 gn2???
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.