NC700 DCT X or S?

Chat about any motorbike here.
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

NC700 DCT X or S?

Post by Taipan »

Hi All

Becoming very tempted by an auto NC700. Ideally I'd like the X but the S might be a bit slimmer for commuting in London? Anyone ridden both? How do they compare?

Whats the DCT like? iN fact what the engine like? I seem to recall reading it could be quite vibey?

Be interested to hear any opinions/likes/dislikes from people who have test riden or own them?

Many thanks.

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Re: NC700 DCT X or S?

Post by michaelphillips »

hi Taipan.. know you had bad deal with your nexus.. in two days mine gets traded in.. wish it would go to a muppet but hey :D
see thread http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 20&t=15491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

going smaller scoot, as my arms are not as strong these days, gonna miss her :( not ridden the above but good luck mate
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Hi Michael. Actually I've been looking at your advert as I do love a Nexus and was thinking i could keep both the nexus and the Sh300 then. But I also fancy going back to bike for a while and the NC gives good enough economy to grab my interest. I'm certainly intrigued by the DCT too!

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

Taipan wrote:Hi Michael. Actually I've been looking at your advert as I do love a Nexus and was thinking i could keep both the nexus and the Sh300 then. But I also fancy going back to bike for a while and the NC gives good enough economy to grab my interest. I'm certainly intrigued by the DCT too!
yes true and the NC will or should give you good long term ownership with no issues, dobles has both versions of the NC in i think, i found them pleasant to talk to,

they also still got the white max in that i loved http://www.doble.co.uk/9672/used-motorc ... TMAX%20500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Hi, ive owned both a 700X DCT and I now have a 750S DCT. What bike is right for you is an awkward one. The X probably offers a little more weather protection and a higher riding position, but the S version handles better and feels a little more sporty. So at the end of the day it's a personal choice. The X sells better than the S version.
Now as regards vibes - I found my 700 very smooth. Though occasionally on the motorway at certain speeds the bike would have a pulsating feeling. Some peeps (mainly on the US forum) didn't like it, though on a personal level I had no issues with this whatsoever. As regards the DCT box and you will learn and adapt to what suits you best between the different modes - everyone seems to use the DCT box differently.
The 750 is a more powerful machine with gruntier acceleration. I would say the 750 is definitely a better machine, though I have found there's a slight high frequency vibration at certain revs. I'm glad I now have the 750, it has better DCT programming.
SEAT MO

wozza
Benefactor

Post by wozza »

Just bit more info for you. So far the DCT gearbox has proved itself extremely reliable with only one case of a sensor failure that I am aware of ( I'm on 2 NC forums). The highest mileage DCT machine I've come across so far is 39000miles.
SEAT MO

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Thanks wozza. I think I'd prefer the upright position of the X and the better weather protection is always good as I ride all year round. The S does have handlebars though and not clip ons? I deffo wouldn't want a sports bike riding position.

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Hi Taipan,
Have been using a 700X manual for commuting for the past 18 months and have to say, its a hoot! Good riding position for my 6'1" height, minimal vibes and good mpg, averaging low 70's. My daily commute is 110miles which takes in Motorways plus A and B roads. Filtering is not a problem.
I have also just purchased the Integra 750, which as you know has the DCT. This system, IMO is absolutely brilliant, with everthing easy to hand. Vibes are no more than the 700X but fuel consumption is considerably down as I am averaging only 56mpg. That said I am still running her in, so hopefully there will be some improvement in the future.
Of the two, I prefer the 750 for its ease of use and comfort but the 700X is so much fun. Ok, I know the storage on the 750 is abismal but the addition of a top box improves this.
It is horses for courses so you do need to test before you buy!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Thanks. I'm 6'2 so good to know its comfortable. I see some people claim to get over 80mpg on the NC700! Even 70+ is pretty amazing for a 700cc though!

wozza
Benefactor

Post by wozza »

Taipan wrote:Thanks wozza. I think I'd prefer the upright position of the X and the better weather protection is always good as I ride all year round. The S does have handlebars though and not clip ons? I deffo wouldn't want a sports bike riding position.
Just to confirm, the S doesn't have clip ons, just shorter narrower bars the the X.
SEAT MO