Burgman 400 on the motorway

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Mule_Rider

Burgman 400 on the motorway

Post by Mule_Rider »

Hi,
As said in the intro I tend to get on my Burger 400 to go anywhere and find myself on the motorway doing 80 to 90 mph for around 30 mins about once a month, sometimes with a pillion.
Did that yesterday on the way to heathrow from London and when I slowed down to 70 I noticed a bit of vibration (first time this happens) so I'm wondering if those kinds of speeds aren't too much for such an engine?
I purchased the scoot brand new in Dec 2011 and done 10K miles on it so far.
any thoughts?
cheers,
R

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Re: Burgman 400 on the motorway

Post by VOZZA »

I think the engine is fine with those speed but the transmission may be moaning a bit with sustained high speeds resulting in a bit of vibration when you slow down due to parts having got hotter than normal and expanded a bit.
I would try lower sustained high speeds.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Use mine on the motorway often.
Sometimes smells a bit warm but that is all
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

The vibration could be caused by the rollers in the variator being at the end of their travel for the time of the high speed and then being a bit uneven momentarily when coming back down to suit the lower speed.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

VOZZA, you are exactly right! Dust builds up in the variator. When you then go for a thrash for a longer period, a roller (note: a single roller usually) can get stuck for a short time due to heat and dust, causing some uneven running. It's not uncommon but will sort itself out no problem. Another blast usually does the trick. It's the same if you do loads of town work all week and then take to the open road. As the speed goes up the rollers or a roller can adopt an uneven rate of travel and you can momentarily feel some minor vibes from the transmission. All normal and doesn't present any problem normally.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...