New bike on the way...

Chat about any motorbike here.
R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

New bike on the way...

Post by R1K SU »

Ive been thinking of getting back on bikes again for a while, but Su insisted she can only pillion on an auto as her back cant take the gear changes ( even smooth ones ). I thought I would test this theory...
I did test the MT09 a while ago and loved it, proper hooligan bike and ideal for my 17 mile commute from Thornton to Preston, so I arranged for Su to come to my dealer and we would take it out , as soon as she got on she was gripping me like mad and was shouting there was no grab rail, we hadnt even set off yet !! We got about 300 mtrs down the road and her Bottle had gone, we had to turn round....even though she thought it was an auto as my gear changes had been so smooth, Damn !
I also tested an NC750x DCT solo, from Preston Honda last week, I was quite surprised how pokey it was compared to the 650 Burgman, very nice even on the motorway, but didnt like the fork dive under braking, I rang my local dealer and asked if they had one with a topbox, this would make Su a lot happier if she could lean on it, pity the MT09 didnt have one !!
Blackpool Honda this morning said they had a manual 750 with a top box on demo, so we went down, she claims she could feel the gear changes and to be honest, it was a bit cramped for me 2 up, We went back and sat on a Pan european, 06 plate, bit heavy. Next we sat on a BMW K1300GT 10 plate and an 12 Plate BMW K1200 RT she like these, me especially as I knew the K1300 had about 160BHP, but then she pointed out they were not auto, and i thought they were prob just as heavy as the Burg and I was trying to get a bit lighter as the long backwards push down the driveway seems to be taking longer, a Kawi SX1000 the pegs were to high for her, she sat on the Crosstoured...she HAS been on a demo with one, but found it hard to get on and off as it was so tall........next the VFR1200, I always wanted one of these, but when my shoulder was bad we went to the NEC bike show and I was gutted that it was uncumfortable to sit on it with my bad shoulder, so didnt think of it again,(I had my shoulder op last year) Su sat on it today and said it felt ok, A demo was very quickly arranged ! she couldnt feel the gear changes and said she was only holding on with one hand, it cant be this easy I thought :twisted:
I opend it up a cpl of times getting up to 100mph in a very short distance and she didnt complain .....I got upto 70mph over the mountain on the TT and she was shouting to slow down on the Burg a few weeks ago :|
I did read on the VFR forums last week, (didnt join honest !) that heli bar raisers make a big difference, so when the nice Honda man started to crunch some numbers I asked for Heli bars and a large top box for sue to lean on to be added , after an age trying to agreen numbers he came up with in his words..an amazing deal, great I said...."now throw in a free touring screen and its a deal" :) he had to phone his boss on his day off, but boss said ok...so in about a week, I get a 14 plate silver VFR1200 DCT, cool.....pics to follow :D :D
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: New bike on the way...

Post by Steve_D »

That looks like one nice bike. I bet you're well chuffed. :mrgreen:
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

Nice! :)
I had a Testride on a DCT VFR1200 a couple of years ago and loved it except for the wrist ache.
Will be interested in how you find the Helibars....

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

icon_thumbs_up.gif the vfr 12 is an exellent " mile munching road warrior", I had a vfr 800 vtec a few years ago, bar risers made a huge difference to comfort.
Ive just changed the integra 700 for a nc 750x, nowt wrong with the integra ( apart from sticking in 2nd gear on the way to belgium last week.) but the 750x is much more fun to ride.
Bet you cant wait!! :D
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Mile muncher that eats the miles in dainty little portions.

R1K SU

Post by R1K SU »

Yup, looking forward to it :)
What I realised afterwards is that I could have kept the Burg and got the MT09 with a cash deposit instead of a trade in, but hey ho, its done now.
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Lovely bike, turbine smooth V4 engine. Helibars were a must for me and what a difference they made.
Although mine was the manual version, it was a brilliant performer. That said, in my opinion, it's just too fast for our poorly maintained roads. I went for one to compare it with a new CBR1100 Blackbird which I purchased in 1996 and I am still on the fence regarding which was best!
Changed the VFR for the Integra 750 which suits my current needs and loving the DCT technology.
Enjoy your new ride and hang on to your license.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

R1K SU

Post by R1K SU »

Thanks, will try very hard as i need it for my Bus driving job.
I just phoned Honda to enquire which touring screen they are getting and they said the good one...its a Givi, some 14 inches taller than original.
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I will keep a eye out for a new silver vfr on Sunday at Knott End then.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

R1K SU

Re: New bike on the way...with pics !

Post by R1K SU »

Ralph....I go on Wednesday nights, it apperars Sundays is just for old gits on old fashioned bone shakers...no offence :) lol

I got a quote from Bennets, who am currently with for the Burg for £225 and £45 back from my current policy, not bad as it only cost £69 in February...So I rang them tonight to say....yes please lets do it... slight problem, some burk had quoted me for a 650 burg valued at £12800 !! and the actual price would be close to £500
Got it down to £253, protected to! from MotorcycleDirect. Happy Bunny
Oh I went down to Blackpool Honda today to sign the papers and took these, no top box, screen or Heli Bars yet.
I also thought about the speeds i MAY be travelling at and thought of SU , after seeking advice from a fellow bike at St Annes bike meet on Monday a quick visit to Wilkinsons and £4 later a roll of anti slip rug matting was purchased for her pillion seat,for a fraction of the cost of almost the same stuff from a bike shop

ImageImage
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS