Sticky STVA - To keep or not to keep?

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Turisu
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman AN400 K8

Sticky STVA - To keep or not to keep?

Post by Turisu »

Hi all,

Well after a joyful 1.5 years of riding the AN400 without so much as a hiccup, last week the FI warning light on the dash started coming on. Took it round to the local dealer expecting to be told I needed a new throttle body at the cost of hundreds and hundreds of pounds. In the event, the mechanic told me that the Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator was sticking slightly and gave it some lube for a grand total of just £36. All is now fine, however I'm told that if it starts happening again then the only solution will be to replace throttle body which will cost £1000+ :shock: ! I asked what the chances were of this happening and got the typical non-committal response that it 'should' be fine now but they can't guarantee blah, blah, blah...

So I'd like to know if anyone here has had any experience with a sticky STVA and whether the lubrication is likely to be a long-term fix or has it just delayed the inevitable for a short while? If I'm going to spend over £1000 then I'd imagine I'm better off putting it towards another bike and getting what I can for this one while it's healthy (and it is healthy according to the dealer). It's a shame though, because I don't want another bike - I'd go straight for another AN400 and would be more than happy to keep this one if I could shake the notion that it could be a ticking time bomb.

Any food for thought would be appreciated. Many thanks. :)

Black Wing
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 650 L4 Black

Re: Sticky STVA - To keep or not to keep?

Post by Black Wing »

I would ask another Suzuki Dealer for a second opinion! :o
Ken.

Experience is something I only ever get a second after I really need it!

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

The dealer is talking bollox I suspect, maybe just seeing you as a good opportunity.

Just search "STVA Suzuki problem" in Google and see this is a common fault on many of their models with the actuator & FI fault code. A dodgy dealer will see pound signs and flog a complete throttle body to swapout, but a decent mechanic will repair the actuator.

I think you need to find a recommended bike mechanic rather than a Suzuki main delaer.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Turisu

Post by Turisu »

Thanks for the replies and I will certainly do some research into the issue. My understanding however is that the actuator itself is not available as a replacement part, only the entire throttle body. Is that not correct?

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

Google it and it seems that its a common fault on Suzukis, there's loads of info on repairing them and people who will repair them :D

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

No experience on the Burgman I am afraid but there is a similar issue that plagued lots of the first W800s brought into the UK...and guess who bought one of those? :roll:

Again, I've heard tell of owners forking out hundreds for swapped out throttle bodies. The cause on the W800s is a simple screw adjuster sticking to a plate it touches against. If the plate is scratched the scaremongers say that the bike needs new throttle bodies.

Mine however is one of the very earliest ones in the showrooms, it has the most scarred up plate I've ever seen and yet it's never shown a FI warning light, possibly because i dab the plate with a paintbrush dipped in oil when I'm giving the bike its monthly oil-rag wipe over. Some of the mad Aussie W800 owners have got around the issue by reprofiling the end of the adjustment screw, rounding it off with a file or Dremel.

You may find that a simple solution exists for the Burgman issue, which sounds to be quite similar.

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

Cheaper Here........ £408.15 :o :shock:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/52 ... ottle-body

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Turisu

Post by Turisu »

Well, as suggested, I've done a little research into this issue with the Burgman and other Suzuki bikes. It seems there are a variety of DIY solutions available but, since I'm not mechanically minded, I've drawn the conclusion that the simplest solution for me would be to try and find a used STVA and get a mechanic to replace it. Is ebay my only option for used Burgman parts as pickings seem pretty slim there?

Also, I noticed on many GSXR forums there are users offering to fix STVA problems for a fee. Does anyone know of anyone that would be willing/able to do this for a Burgman?

Thanks again for the help.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Not just for this potential issue but also generally you need to track down a decent mechanic in your area (hopefully there is one). Best to find then now rather than wait till you need him.

Dealers will in most cases be the most expensive option, so you need a mechanic who will fix or replace the STVA rather than only offer an expensive part swap. Are there local bike meets or forums that you can use to find a trusted & recommended mechanic.

Burgman 400 is one of the most common maxis, but in general maxis are small numbers so finding the right mechanic is important even if you may have to travel some distance.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Turisu

Post by Turisu »

Ok. I thought I would keep this thread updated in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation with the STVA.

So, a week after lubrication temporarily fixed the problem, the STVA has started sticking again and throwing up the FI warning light. Following the consensus of advice here, I've fired off some emails to local mechanics hoping to find one with some experience of this issue or at least willing to look into repairing it.

The first two responses I got basically said they wouldn't touch it; one saying that repairing the STVA would throw the ECU out of adjustment and other saying that the repair would be "too fiddly" and therefore would not be economical. The third guy said he was currently looking at a Suzuki sports bike with a similar problem and would be willing to take a look at it if he was able to fix the one he's got (so this one is on my call-back list though I'm a bit wary of paying him an hour's labour just to be told the same thing the other two have already told me). I'll see if any other replies come in tomorrow but, if not, perhaps I'll start ringing round. I guess, while I'm there, I can try and find the cheapest quote for replacing the throttle body if it comes to that. :?