New guy on the block

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Recycled Rocker

New guy on the block

Post by Recycled Rocker »

Morning, my name is Steve, I'm 57, I live in Northamptonshire and I've just recently sold my bandit 600 in exchange for a brand new Bergman 400 :) My reason for changing? The bandit was quite literally a pain in the bum! If I travelled more than 10mile on it I'd be walking like John Wayne for the rest of the day, it was so uncomfortable. Also the weight and weight distribution made a cumbersome beast at slow speeds, I doubt if I would have been able to pick it up if I ever dropped it.
After deciding to go for a maxi I went to my nearest bike dealer, Kawasaki, to look at a j300 but they didn't have one in the show room. Next was yamaha with the t- max in mind. They had one on show but refused me a test ride. I sat on it but the seat was so high I couldn't put my feet on the ground - I'm 6ft tall! So that was put on the back burner.
Finally I drove to Wheels in Peterborough, they had a Honda Forza and a Bergman. The Honda was ok but felt small, the Suzuki on the other hand was built with my frame in mind, it had a seat wider than my butt - no mean feat! Within an hour the deal was done :D
So on Wednesday I picked it up and rode it home, the low centre of gravity made it soooo easy to ride, it felt so stable. Coupled with the Abs I felt a lot more confident. It's just a pity car drivers don't show the same respect for scooters as they do for big bikes. On my bandit car drivers would have given me room and kept their distance knowing that I could easily outpace them. On the scooter on the other hand they seem to regard me as some teenager on a 50cc put-put, sitting on my tail and even sitting along side me :evil: anyone else suffer from these idiots or are they restricted to my vicinity?
Time to stop rambling on now and sign off, I look forward to your comments,
Steve

gn2

Re: New guy on the block

Post by gn2 »

Howdy! (as they say in John Wayne's best movies)

Recycled Rocker

Post by Recycled Rocker »

love the avatar - echoes by pink floyd, yes?

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

Hi Steve, Welcome!
Others have said that about the Tmax but I've never had trouble with the height and I don't think my legs are that long.

Recycled Rocker wrote:On the scooter on the other hand they seem to regard me as some teenager on a 50cc put-put, sitting on my tail and even sitting along side me :evil: anyone else suffer from these idiots or are they restricted to my vicinity?
Cars and motorbikes will treat you as if you're invisible.
Just get used to it! :D
Recycled Rocker wrote:love the avatar - echoes by pink floyd, yes?
And I thought it was gn2's pic of the Loch Ness monster :lol:

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Hello and welcome , change your road positioning and that will cure your problem ,no one forces me towards the gutter . Enjoy your new ride with its great versatility and it will have better mpg by far over a baggy bandit .

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Yes it is.
Would have gone for this one but its the wrong shape

pointburgman
Current Ride: BMW R1100RS Trike

Post by pointburgman »

Hi Steve and welcome
Proud To Be a Member Of The Ugly Bunch

I Don't Discriminate, I Hate Everyone

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

welcome lad.. like above ride more central and ... not yet, but as funky says, "ride like you stole it" or should i say borrowed it... you can generally outpace most cars anyways but you dont have to, just enjoy your sen :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Welcome

(Excellent bike choice :) )
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Black Wing
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 650 L4 Black

Post by Black Wing »

I thought it was a photo of an embryo! :lol:

Ken.

Experience is something I only ever get a second after I really need it!