Hi advice for a possible owner

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Re: Hi advice for a possible owner

Post by VOZZA »

Hi Fatboy08 and welcome icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Don't bite, nothing wrong with Harleys some just don't get it.
I have ridden the 400 and the 650 Burgman and liked them both in different ways. The 400 will do what you need and the 650 will do more just try both if you get a chance and take it from there. icon_maxi_scoot.gif icon_moped.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Hi Fatboy. I've never had a Harley but I've had a couple of Guzzi Californias. To fully 'get' scooters you need to ride one for a few months or more then the penny drops. I traded my last bike (Bonneville) for a Yamaha Majesty which was great really. It would cruise on the motorway at 80 with little effort, I never tried it two-up but I was 21 stone at the time. I swapped the Maj for a Honda Silverwing and this, imho, is significantly better in most respects, it can really shift and eats motorways up. Don't listen to people who say they are 'long in the tooth' my feeling are that it's a thoroughly engineered product and I don't give a flying f**k what others think. If you've got a Harley you'll understand!

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Welcome

I went for the 400 rather than the 650.

The 400 is perfectly happy at motorway speeds and still has power in reserve.
They are different bikes, not just different cc. I find the 400 lighter, more comfortable, simpler to maintain and more economical

If you do go for a 400 my advice would be to go for a 2007 or later. They have improved engine, transmission and body.
There were some smaller minor improvements in 2010 too.

I would only consider moving to a 650 if all my riding was 2 up touring
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Tilly2
Current Ride: xmax400

Post by Tilly2 »

Hi and welcome, only ever ridden one Harley in 28 years but had plenty of large geared bikes in that time and just have to say I find 400 cc more than enough for me thesedays (although they are Yamaha cc's ha ha ) . The scooter will cruise at 80 and top out at 100 approx really depends on how fast you want to go and what you need in terms of storage as they do vary . Don't be put off by the fact that its only 400 cc and 30 odd horsepower as the power is always there and feels like a larger bike until near its top speed ,plus weight is low so easy to handle .really need to ride to appreciate .

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

See if you can get a few testrides before ya buy for different models, 400cc upwards is more than adequate for your needs as there all 85mph + capable with plenty storage and comfort, its a matter of debating what your needs are that come first like how much storage do you need, availability of parts and are you capable of doing your own servicing, are you after something really fun in the twistys or an all rounder? read the reviews and feedback off owners, narrow it down to a few ya like the look of and go from there!
Dezzie

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

Hi fatboy,, welcome!
bikerdezzie wrote: narrow it down to a few ya like the look of and go and get a Tmax!
You're biased dezzie....
But you're right :D

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

EEH I NEVER SAID THAT, BUT ITS TRUE, ITS ALL ABOUT FUN FOR ME LOL!
Dezzie

Fatboy08
Current Ride: Harley1

Post by Fatboy08 »

Verging towards the 400cc only because of the drive probs and cheaper tax but do want to be disappointed with fewer horses

Black Wing
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 650 L4 Black

Post by Black Wing »

Fatboy08 wrote:It seams as if the 400cc is favoured over the 650 g/box
I have owned both and don't agreee. :o

I sold my 400 within 6 months as I was frustrated at lack of overtake speed on 60mph country roads. I ride solo and two up on the Black Wing (650) and love it! I came down from my Kawasaki Z1000sx but don't miss it too much!

Try everything you can get a test ride on, .....then choose a Burgman 650!
Ken.

Experience is something I only ever get a second after I really need it!

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

I have friends who ride Harley's and they love them, me i don't like them as i am a superbike fan.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services