2014 lexmoto dart

For members who own little scooters.
pikey

Re: 2014 lexmoto dart

Post by pikey »

Meanwhile here's a well maintained honda 110 with nearly 50 k miles .Twice as much to buy from new as lexmoto

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Superscoot wrote:10 and a half months and 3000 miles isn't much of a test regarding life expectancy of a motorcycle or scooter
Indeed, but this
Superscoot wrote:I own a Chinese made 125cc motorcycle - but it isn't a shitty Lexmoto
did make me :lol: Inter-Chinese brand snobbery FTW.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Is there a shitness scale where chinese bikes get graded or or a list of one that's reached 10K miles would be nice

Superscoot
Current Ride: Daelim S3 250 and Zontes 125

Post by Superscoot »

Jaz wrote:
Superscoot wrote:10 and a half months and 3000 miles isn't much of a test regarding life expectancy of a motorcycle or scooter
Indeed, but this
Superscoot wrote:I own a Chinese made 125cc motorcycle - but it isn't a shitty Lexmoto
did make me :lol: Inter-Chinese brand snobbery FTW.

Yes, there's always snobbery

When I owned an MZ, I looked down on CZ

Now I own a Zontes, I look down on Lexmoto - but at least Zontes are imported and supported by spares by Sym

I also own a Daelim scooter made in South Korea - and I'm pretty sure it will have a longer life than the Chinese made Zontes
Screw the EU

I have no problem with authority, I just don't like being told what to do
... anarchist joke

Superscoot
Current Ride: Daelim S3 250 and Zontes 125

ECU re-learning

Post by Superscoot »

bikerdezzie wrote:Best 200 quid i ever spent was a remap, this also affected the speed of the auto gear change from dangerously slow as standard to considerably quicker, made it into the car it should be and gained an extra 10bhp and fuel consumption was even better.

I've never owned a smart car - but I've always thought that the people making and selling them are smarter than the people who buy them

I have read that the ECU on a motor scooter/motorcycle has to re-learn after the battery has been disconnected and re-connected

I recently removed the battery from my Daelim 250cc maxi scooter to charge it up fully - and although it's always been a fast scooter, I swear the thing is faster now - I don't know if things will change when the ECU re-learns, but for now, it's 0 to 45 mph in seconds - and it will maintain 45mph on the flat at a quarter throttle
Screw the EU

I have no problem with authority, I just don't like being told what to do
... anarchist joke

Deleted User 4154

Superscoot wrote:Now I own a Zontes, I look down on Lexmoto - but at least Zontes are imported and supported by spares by Sym

I also own a Daelim scooter made in South Korea - and I'm pretty sure it will have a longer life than the Chinese made Zontes

Yep, I once had a Daelim, and very good it was too. But if you think Zontes is any better than Lexmoto or any other Chinese no-brand machine you're kidding yourself. What you've bought there - like the OP - is a lottery ticket.

3000km is what we did in a week's touring year before last; I did it on a 28 year old scooter. It's hardly something to shout about in terms of the lifespan of a motorcycle.

Sorry if this post is akin to something that might trip off the tongue of a certain northern miserablist who probably still frequents this forum, but I do grow a little weary of hearing glowing endorsements of off-brand Chinese machinery based on such limited use as this.

BTW Mark - if your daughter has fallen off 4 times in 3000km I think getting her a car is probably for the best.

Once again, apologies for the rant gentlemen :D

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

any further update on your lexmoto?
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Jaz wrote: Once again, apologies for the rant gentlemen :D
I'd expect no less on his subject. Just as you would expect no less than me doling this one out again ... :D

We've had Lexmoto dealers in West Sussex and the Sinnis main dealer in Brighton for a number of years now.

Hence there are plenty of the little buggers knocking around. Many Pulse Adrenalines, several 07/08 plated Lexmoto Arrow and Vixen bikes plus same vintage Lexmoto Gladiator and Tommy scooters are often found in the parking bays along the coast. None of them look brilliantly maintained but they all seem to keep going and passing MOTs. The Sinnis oferings are much the same. Lots around and clocking up mileage.

I chat to one of the guys at Sinnis irregularly, Lukas, who did a tour of Europe on one (not the Mongolian Sinnis ride) that was in T&G a year or so ago. He's quite open and honest about the bikes. They aren't Hondas but they do represent a fabulous value for money IF they are looked after properly. That's a big IF.

I have some personal experience with Chinese bikes not being the pile of poo that some folk would have us believe.

Back in the late 90s the Missus had a Honda Rebel 125. Lovely little bike and very friendly to ride and own, perfect for learners in fact. It did have its faults. The chrome wasn't fantastic and the wheel rims particularly needed lots of TLC including a tyre/tube removal and clean up inside the rims at least once annually. After a few years the Missus decided she didn't want to ride it any longer and we moved it on for around £900 with about 8000 miles on it.

Fast forward to 2007 and my lad reached 17 and inevitably wanted his first motorbike. As the Honda Rebel had been discontinued in the early '00s all the examples up for sale had been in the hands of multiple un-mechanically-sympathetic learners and were, putting it bluntly, shagged!

A scan of ebay and a bit of googling revealed that a Chinese bike company Jinlun , were importing and selling a 125 Rebel copy. More encouraging news was that they seemed to drop value dramatically in the used market. On the downside nobody had much of a good word to say about them. General opinion was that all Chinese bikes were rubbish, made of monkey metal, slow, unreliable and likely to rot like over-ripe pears in a British Winter.

A plan was hatched. I'd buy the lad a cheap low mileage Jinlun and he could learn to maintain it himself as it was likely to be breaking down frequently. Once he'd got his hands dirty and a bit more experience I'd buy him something decent to take his test on.

So, a week later I took the train up to Kent to pick up a 1200 mile 1 year old Jinlun 125-13 that had been through its first Winter and was kept under a plastic sheet in the seller's back garden. It didn't look that bad. £600 changed hands and I rode it home. It wasn't bad, in fact it seemed better than I remembered the Rebel being. They'd even binned the horrid wheels for chunky cast ones. Spanners were primed and ready for the first of the inevitable jobs it needed.

10 months later, it had an extra 12,000 miles under its tyres, had been crashed 3 times and had cost £35 in total to repair despite sliding down the road. The only parts replaced were the gearshift linkage, one mirror and one brake lever. The crashbars were patched up with silver appliance enamel.

The little Jinlun never went wrong! As in never ever! We changed the oil every 1500 miles and it had a heavy duty chain and sprockets fitted (at a cost of £30 for the whole kit) which reduced chain adjustment from weekly to once every couple of months. It wasn't exactly cared for either. It spent its second Winter without seeing a sponge and cleaning was restricted to a hose off if it was salty followed by a spray of WD40. After that mileage the valve clearances were still within tolerance and the original Chinese plugs were still fitted!

During that 10 months the lad had massively exceeded the mileage I predicted he'd do and passed his test on it....but still hadn't learned that much about fixing things! With a 250 now in the garage I Mr Sheened the Jinlun and stuck it on ebay with a realistic £1 start and a wildly optimistic £550 buy-it-now. It was on for less than 5 minutes when someone clicked the buy-it-now.

Quite honestly, having had the experience of looking after the two bikes I'd be hard pressed to state where the Honda was visibly better.

I'd buy, own and run either a Lexmoto or Sinnis bike or scooter myself if they fitted my needs.

I'd not touch another Hyosung with a large barge pole ever again ... but that's another story. :D

Deleted User 4154

Evening Ged! I'm very familiar with your lad's Jinlun & the sterling service it provided. No argument from me on that one. I was merely commenting on someone singing the praises of Chinese machinery based on ownership of one machine that's hardly been anywhere. I quote my objection below for reference:
3000km is what we did in a week's touring year before last; I did it on a 28 year old scooter. It's hardly something to shout about in terms of the lifespan of a motorcycle.
I didn't say all Chinese bikes were crap, I didn't even say his daughter's bike was crap. I merely posited that it should probably be allowed to cover more than 1800 miles before it gets hailed as some sort of world-beater.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Jaz wrote:Evening Ged! I'm very familiar with your lad's Jinlun & the sterling service it provided.
I bet you know the script off by heart now, Jaz. :lol: