Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Re: Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Post by ramasay »

My local dealers mechanic told me the basic version is set to touring mode only, but compared to previous T Max version's the new basic is like s**t off a shiny shovel. He also had a day training on the 'complicated' electronics only.

I will have to go with the base model, as the DX is only available with the yucky satin/matte paintwork (in my opinion), and I like gloss paintwork. Then fit heated grips (Oxford) and top box. I could live with manual screen adjustment.

However 'er' indoors says I ain't getting a new bike. :cry: :cry: :cry: Working on it.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

ramasay wrote:My local dealers mechanic told me the basic version is set to touring mode only, but compared to previous T Max version's the new basic is like s**t off a shiny shovel. He also had a day training on the 'complicated' electronics only.

I will have to go with the base model, as the DX is only available with the yucky satin/matte paintwork (in my opinion), and I like gloss paintwork. Then fit heated grips (Oxford) and top box. I could live with manual screen adjustment.
I bet the electronics are 'complicated'!!! Its complex enough to use, let alone maintain! And there are all sorts of semi-hidden features as well, like the set-revs-to-3000rpm-down-steep-hills feature I've found recently. I live in dread of the computer going pop....I thought the base model was in Sport mode, with the pointless sounding Touring mode being available on the DX??? As you say, the mk6 really gets a shift on compared to previous models, presumably due to the RIde by Wire throttle pumping fuel in!

I like the blue colour of the DX, though I haven't seen it in the flesh. I also like gloss colours and hate the current trend for matt finishes. On the base model, when they say manual screen adjustment, its adjustment needing tools, not just pulling a knob! Its make your decision whether the screen should be high or low and stick with it! Going by the mk4, I asked the dealer to put the mk6 screen in its high position, and haven't tried to move it!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

ramasay wrote:My local dealers mechanic told me the basic version is set to touring mode only, but compared to previous T Max version's the new basic is like s**t off a shiny shovel. He also had a day training on the 'complicated' electronics only.

I will have to go with the base model, as the DX is only available with the yucky satin/matte paintwork (in my opinion), and I like gloss paintwork. Then fit heated grips (Oxford) and top box. I could live with manual screen adjustment....
I'd be surprised if the basic model really is in T mode because that is rather sluggish on acceleration, though never having had a TMax before I can't compare it with previous models. It's much more likely that it is in S mode or perhaps something in between but I don't know for sure.

The electronics are a bit complex and take a bit of learning but do provide a lot of useful information which you can arrange to display in any order you wish. If you don't use a feature much, you can then forget how to use it, or at least I can but I'm an old fart who sometimes struggles to recall their own gender. And they are even more complex on the DX because the power screen and heated grips/seat are all controlled through the dash display and associated buttons in addition to the base model features. Then there's cruise which has its own dedicated buttons as does the mode T/S switch, both easy to use, and the Vodafone tracker and app on the DX too. Also the keyless ignition but there's no difficulty with that.

I'm more or less okay now with the dash electronics etc. but the bit I'm finding tricky is the multiple locking and steering/centre stand lock system, all controlled electronically and not via a key. There are two buttons on the bar cover but trying to figure out exactly what each one does and how they interact with each other is stretching my tiny brain to its very low limits. The manual explains it but in practice...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote: I'm more or less okay now with the dash electronics etc. but the bit I'm finding tricky is the multiple locking and steering/centre stand lock system, all controlled electronically and not via a key. There are two buttons on the bar cover but trying to figure out exactly what each one does and how they interact with each other is stretching my tiny brain to its very low limits. The manual explains it but in practice...
Yes...As far as I understand it, the Off (RH) button turns the engine off when running, then when pressed briefly locks the steering (if the bars are in the correct place) and locks the centrestand when pressed for a second or so. The other LH ('P') button seems to unlock the seat, fuel cap and glovebox - or at least enable them to be opened by the switches, when the scooter is switched off. However, it doesn't release the steering lock or stand, which needs the main ON button to be pressed (I find this a bit annoying as when I get the scooter out of the garage I want to wheel it out and put stuff under the seat, but I'd rather not switch the whole thing on). The manual seems to hint that the P button has other uses but I can't work out what they are. What seems really odd is that you seem to be able to press the P button and something unlocks, even if you've switched the Smartkey off!!!

Its very clever, and the centrestand lock is a great idea, but having an old fashioned key would make life so much easier!!!! Perhaps someone will offer a degree course in TMax electronics before long??? Or should I get a 6 year old to explain it to me?? :lol:

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote:I bet the electronics are 'complicated'!!! Its complex enough to use, let alone maintain! And there are all sorts of semi-hidden features as well, like the set-revs-to-3000rpm-down-steep-hills feature I've found recently. I live in dread of the computer going pop....I thought the base model was in Sport mode, with the pointless sounding Touring mode being available on the DX??? As you say, the mk6 really gets a shift on compared to previous models, presumably due to the RIde by Wire throttle pumping fuel in!

I like the blue colour of the DX, though I haven't seen it in the flesh. I also like gloss colours and hate the current trend for matt finishes. On the base model, when they say manual screen adjustment, its adjustment needing tools, not just pulling a knob! Its make your decision whether the screen should be high or low and stick with it! Going by the mk4, I asked the dealer to put the mk6 screen in its high position, and haven't tried to move it!
Yes, the 3,000 rpm steep downhill with the throttle closed is a clever feature I agree as it continues to give a degree of engine braking in this situation and that I think is very smart of Yam.

I still find CVT weird in use and, if I had the choice, would prefer the auto gearbox of the X-ADV but that scooter did not suit me in many ways.

On the colour of the DX, I like the matt blue bits but surely that's a minor point, even if I didn't it would not be a deal breaker. Given the various desirable additional features of the DX and assuming they can afford it, I can't see that someone would buy, or not buy, a DX for reason alone that they liked or disliked the colour scheme. You do require a special polish though for those bits, the manual says that normal gloss polishes should not be used on the matt areas.

As for the screen on the basic model, that sounds like an embuggerance to move. Even the big Burger has a power screen so I'd say this should be standard on any top end expensive scooter these days. A lot of features that in the past were considered luxuries have become standard equipment. Like cruise on big tourers or electric windows on cars etc. I can even recall when heaters in cars were an extra, as were radios, now both totally standard in even the cheapest vehicles for a long time.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Reading these last posts I can only say I don't think I'll ever get a newer TMax. I struggle with a touchscreen phone and changed to a Doro for its simplicity so my Mk 3 is probably the only TMax I'll ever own.
My other vehicle, the 1988 Honda Shadow is even simpler than the TMax and has carburettors and rear drum brake, without even a headlight flasher.. And that's the way I like it! :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Reading these last posts I can only say I don't think I'll ever get a newer TMax. I struggle with a touchscreen phone and changed to a Doro for its simplicity so my Mk 3 is probably the only TMax I'll ever own.
I see what you mean, but like many tech things, you eventually find an accommodation with them, even if you think its an unnecessary complication. I certainly find Android phones, if not hard, but full of things you don't realise are there. I guess the more you use things, the more you find out. As for scooters, I can only imagine that all scooters are going to get more and more elec. tech as time goes on, and we'll be pining for the good old days where there were any manual controls at all!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote: I can't see that someone would buy, or not buy, a DX for reason alone that they liked or disliked the colour scheme.
I've yet to see the alternative "liquid darkness" paint scheme in the flesh, but if its as awful in the flesh as it looks in photos, the colour really could be a deal breaker!!!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I've not seen one either, only the blue was available when I bought mine, but on the Yam website it looks very similar to the black of the basic TMax, the only colour available.

Basic
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products ... io-002.jpg

DX
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products ... io-002.jpg

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've seen some photos where it looks a bizarre sort of murky dark grey colour, much different to the photo on the Yam website. Someone on here saw one in a showroom and whilst it looked awful in his pictures said it looked much better in the flesh! I'll stick to gloss colours thanks.