At what mileage do T Max's become unreliable/money pit?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: At what mileage do T Max's become unreliable/money pit?

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote:Wise words thanks. You are right , £5000 goes a fair way .I'll wait and see if there are any changes next year
As the last major change was unveiled in 2016, I wouldn't expect anything significant until 2019 (unless it starts losing market leadership!). There again, the price might go down.....I was in my local snotty Honda dealer yesterday and they were selling the X-ADV for £9k possibly including the topbox that it had.

Spend the money on a holiday?? £5k spent and then gone? Much better to spend it on a new Tmax - it gives you pleasure every time you ride it, at least until it goes wrong!!!! :lol:

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

MrGrumpy wrote:Spend the money on a holiday?? £5k spent and then gone?
Oh £5k can buy lots of holidays, new sights and experiences :).
It also buys a pretty good selection of used cars - some (like the doblo) big enough to fit a scooter in....
.... for those wet motorways..

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

My mk2 is on 38000 or so. I have had trouble with the fuel pump (twice). I changed the pump myself the 2nd time for £30 and 50 mins work. I also had a miss fire problem which turned out to be the plug caps. They've been the only problems.

I did have a mk4 for a year. It was another £25 on the insurance, to add a £6000 machine surprisingly! And used both for a time until I decided I preferred mk2 to mk4. That was Nov 13 to Nov 14.
I should have kept it,, the price of a 2nd hand 13 reg Tmax has hardly changed since then. But I was overawed by the complex nature of it.
I keep looking at newer models but that's all I do, look... The DX seems too complicated and too expensive.
I might fancy one with ABS but with keys.. Is there such a thing in the UK?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Liam wrote: I might fancy one with ABS but with keys.. Is there such a thing in the UK?
There might be a very few mk4s with ABS, which I think became an option in 2013/2014 (not absolutely sure about this). Mk4s had traditional keys, whilst mk5s and mk6s (from 2015 onwards) have smartkeys as standard. Yamaha tend to keep selling old stock after new versions come out, so some mk4s were probably sold in 2015 and 2016 after the mk5 came out. One would suspect that these are more likely to have ABS but I'm guessing!!!!!

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

What a lovely dilemma to have Robbo, a Mk4 or a Mk6, you are lucky mate. If it were my call, I'd keep your current bike and enjoy it a while longer, using the £5k I haven't spent on bike trips and farkles. Having said all that, I paid £5k to trade my '04 GS against my '08 GSA so I guess if it is a worthwhile step up then it could be worth the expense. In my case there was a huge difference between models, probably not as big a change with the Tmax.