2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: 2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Post by Greyerbeard »

Don't think it really matters where it's made - it's a design/development/quality control fault.
Simply adjusting rear suspension units shouldn't cause them to break after 1200 miles - of course you have to use force to do it. Motorcyclists have been adjusting them since the mid-fifties without them snapping in two...
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Personally I think this really should not happen,
but in any case and I don't know if you are already
doing this but it relives some of the pressure if the
bike is on the center stand allowing the shocks to
fully extend.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Post by ramasay »

Ralph wrote:....... some of the pressure if the
bike is on the center stand allowing the shocks to
fully extend.
Yes.

Awe, can we please put to bed the suspension issue. I did not believe a passing comment, so to speak, would cause so much debate. Yam UK will be getting a strongly worded letter on all this.

However for me this XMax, and most likely the lower powered ones as well, that others have, are the TDB's. :P :P

TJSCOOT

Post by TJSCOOT »

MrGrumpy wrote:
ramasay wrote: .......I was just about to say that I'd be visiting Mr Hagon once the warranty period is over! I find the whole issue pretty dreadful though...as has been said, why hasn't there been a recall, given possible safety implications?
I've contacted Hagon re shocks for the XMax300 , they don't seem interested at all

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

TJSCOOT wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
ramasay wrote: .......I was just about to say that I'd be visiting Mr Hagon once the warranty period is over! I find the whole issue pretty dreadful though...as has been said, why hasn't there been a recall, given possible safety implications?
I've contacted Hagon re shocks for the XMax300 , they don't seem interested at all

Do they do them for these, newish model? Was it email or phone call? I found them patient and helpful, a call is easier to decide spec, i think they are perhaps too responsible to just complete a sale without being sure you receive the best set-up. Ask for Dave. If Hagon didn't exist i would probably try YSS, they have a number of dealers , i think and could well be comparable.

TJSCOOT

Post by TJSCOOT »

fullcirclemax wrote:
TJSCOOT wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:

Do they do them for these, newish model? Was it email or phone call? I found them patient and helpful, a call is easier to decide spec, i think they are perhaps too responsible to just complete a sale without being sure you receive the best set-up. Ask for Dave. If Hagon didn't exist i would probably try YSS, they have a number of dealers , i think and could well be comparable.
The XMax300 is a new model as of 2017,
I had a couple of emails from them so guess there's not a big enough market for them yet.
Taiwan is the place, the FaceBook group shows an enormous range of accessories that we may get to see one day

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I thought Hagon did a range of basic models - you told them the length of the shock absorber unit and the weight of the scooter and they sent you out their appropriate model with appropriate settings?
Or at least how I remember it...I nearly had to buy some shockers for the Aprilia Atlantic after one sprung a leak, but Aprilia eventually gave me new ones under warranty.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

XMax 300 replacement rear shocks.

UK stockist
http://firefoxracing.co.uk/
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

ChevySoul
Current Ride: Yamaha Xmax 300

Post by ChevySoul »

muddyfox wrote:XMax 300 replacement rear shocks.

UK stockist
Yes, I contacted YSS in Taiwan and they directed me to Firefox (sole dealer in the UK for YSS). After a few conversations with Firefox they managed to find similar shocks for the Xmax 300 (£220, but without the rebound). I've got them, ready to fit to my Xmax 300 in a few weeks (Tim has already fitted them and is very pleased with the result 8-) ). Firefox did put them on eBay, but they have now sold out (the ones in the link are still available on eBay, but they are over £400!). If anyone wants a set they should contact Firefox direct. I believe that this will be a popular upgrade.
ImageImage

TJSCOOT

Post by TJSCOOT »

ChevySoul wrote:
muddyfox wrote:XMax 300 replacement rear shocks.

UK stockist
Yes, I contacted YSS in Taiwan and they directed me to Firefox (sole dealer in the UK for YSS). After a few conversations with Firefox they managed to find similar shocks for the Xmax 300 (£220, but without the rebound). I've got them, ready to fit to my Xmax 300 in a few weeks (Tim has already fitted them and is very pleased with the result 8-)). Firefox did put them on eBay, but they have now sold out (the ones in the link are still available on eBay, but they are over £400!). If anyone wants a set they should contact Firefox direct. I believe that this will be a popular upgrade.
Yep much better than the OE icon_thumbs_up.gif