Tmax variator

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax variator

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, I'd twigged the rather confusing notion that Dr Pulley's 'rollers' are 'sliding rollers' rather than rotating round ones! I'm trying to avoid buying the wrong stuff or failing to buy something essential. SIP seem to sell them in 16, 18 or 20g versions - I guess the safest option is to go for the middle weight.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I`ve found my brand new Stove enamelled T Max variaror holding tool superb quality etc.

£35 if anyone fancies a really good quality one Pay pal gift would be handy.About £5 post.

Sold thanks.

Best Mark.

PS I would give it to Mr G who has my old MK1 if he did work himself but had a very expensive week plus the expensive EX !!!! as always. Still yet to get to the oil filter though MR G, that is yours ( somewhere ).

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

XP500FUN wrote:I`ve found my brand new Stove enamelled T Max variaror holding tool superb quality etc.

£35 if anyone fancies a really good quality one Pay pal gift would be handy.About £5 post.

PS I would give it to Mr G who has my old MK1 if he did work himself but had a very expensive week plus the expensive EX !!!! as always. Still yet to get to the oil filter though MR G, that is yours ( somewhere ).
Giving me a tool would be like giving a psychopath a machine-gun....certain to lead to bad results......I did a couple of tiny DIY jobs over Easter, and they both turned out badly!!!!

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

MrGrumpy wrote:Yes, I'd twigged the rather confusing notion that Dr Pulley's 'rollers' are 'sliding rollers' rather than rotating round ones! I'm trying to avoid buying the wrong stuff or failing to buy something essential. SIP seem to sell them in 16, 18 or 20g versions - I guess the safest option is to go for the middle weight.
I've ordered 17g ones. I seem to recall I found the 16g ones to revvy in my mk1 Tmax and ended up changing them to 17g ones. I'm sure the 17g was the weapon of choice back then and our own Funky just endorsed my choice on the Majesty USA forum. Video belwo might be interesting...

The one thing i cant for the life of me remember is how I locked the variator on my Mk1? I have a small home made variator locking tool, but it only has two bolts in it and I doubt would be man enough for the Tmax? ISTR, some made the tool out of plywood with good effect, but don't remember doing that myself? It wasn't that long ago, my memory is fading quicker than my new jeans... :( :lol:

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

XP500FUN wrote:I`ve found my brand new Stove enamelled T Max variaror holding tool superb quality etc.

Best Mark.

I'll take that if I may. I'll PM you...

Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Post by Drew »

Hi all

So the verdict on the 16g Dr. Pulley rollers in my otherwise std 2006 Tmax.

I was looking to loose the flat spot at 3750rpm from a stand still to get away better......5/10
It's better but like previously stated not as good as expected, it does not push the revs up high to jump off the line like you would on a clutched bike.

Mid range 50 to 90 mph for overtaking........ 9/10
Massive difference, punches past cars by lifting the revs up over 7.5k rpm which it never did before so very good.

I find I am modulating the throttle a lot more because when on the move and just bimbling along it picks the revs up really quick when you don't really want to ride like a teenager on a 125. I know you can't have the best of both set ups but it is better than std.

It's only done 10k form new and everything is mint but I will pop a new belt in soon to see if it ups the gearing at the top end slightly with the extra thickness of a new belt.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Drew wrote: I was looking to loose the flat spot at 3750rpm from a stand still to get away better......5/10
It's better but like previously stated not as good as expected, it does not push the revs up high to jump off the line like you would on a clutched bike.

Mid range 50 to 90 mph for overtaking........ 9/10
Massive difference, punches past cars by lifting the revs up over 7.5k rpm which it never did before so very good.
Interesting. What is the difference when accelerating from slower speeds, eg 30mph? That's where the mk1 is very stodgy - by the time its got to 50, its reached its stride (such as it has!).

Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Post by Drew »

Hi Mr Grumpy

Yes it is much better from 30 mph also, generally more lively and revs harder especially on the move, however mine is fuel injected so not sure how the carb engine will respond on your Mk1, it should have just the same effect so worth trying a set as it is a cheap and easy job, you can do the whole job in an hour..... If you can get the bloody variator nut off lol.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Drew wrote:Hi Mr Grumpy

Yes it is much better from 30 mph also, generally more lively and revs harder especially on the move, however mine is fuel injected so not sure how the carb engine will respond on your Mk1, it should have just the same effect so worth trying a set as it is a cheap and easy job, you can do the whole job in an hour..... If you can get the bloody variator nut off lol.
Thanks....you the idea of me doing any DIY that requires undoing more than 2 screws would cause most mechanics I've known to choke on their tea! I'm keen to try it out, but I'm not quite sure whether the 18g or 16g weights would be better. I owned another mk1 several years ago, and a previous owner had done something to the variator on that, and that was great fun, though I never find out what had been done! It was somewhat revvy, but I did quite like it like that, as it felt right and I felt I could control it more than a normal CVT.