Would you buy a used helmet

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Re: Would you buy a used helmet

Post by orange1290 »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 am
orange1290 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:32 am I've got an old Arai from 2003. Had it tested and it's in perfect safety condition. It's been dropped from the bike at seat level several times. Changing helmets every 5 years is a complete waste of money unless they are badly abused.
I'd have to disagree. Riding all year round the uv from strong summer sun then freezing cold of winter can & will weaken the integrity

but more importantly the interior no matter how careful a wash you do loosens, becomes bacteria filled and sweat must effect the straps.

Leather shoes on advice shouldn't be worn every day same pair for same reasons (I'm sure some fecker will now say they've worn the same pair man & boy for the ladt 39 years)
UV hasn't affected it's integrity as it's been passed as safe to use on all counts and during it's a life any helmet spends most of its life indoors anyway. as Interior can be cleaned regularly and some parts can be renewed, which is what I have done 2-3 times. All depeneds on how you look after things and do some simple maintenance. My car for example still has the original battery after 9 years, can be left for 6-8 weeks at a time and still starts first touch of the button.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

Bern

Post by Bern »

orange1290 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:32 am I've got an old Arai from 2003. Had it tested and it's in perfect safety condition. It's been dropped from the bike at seat level several times. Changing helmets every 5 years is a complete waste of money unless they are badly abused.
Out of curiosity, how is a used crash hat tested for safety bud ? & who offers this service ?

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Bern wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am
Out of curiosity, how is a used crash hat tested for safety bud ? & who offers this service ?
comme ça

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

I don't think the guys at sharp are going to be to concerned about losing their jobs

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm
Scootles wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am I give mine to the local fire station for use in exercises - removal from crash victim etc.
Great idea,and fireman are so tight they probably wear them
As a retired firefighter I find that remark offensive.
I would have sold it on :lol:

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

no
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I’m selling one lol. a nearly new Nolan open face in white,worn handful of times by my Grandson who has discovered girls and won’t be seen dead on my Burgman

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Stibbs wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 am
Scootypuff snr wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm
Scootles wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am I give mine to the local fire station for use in exercises - removal from crash victim etc.
Great idea,and fireman are so tight they probably wear them
As a retired firefighter I find that remark offensive.
I would have sold it on :lol:
that's what I love about fireman always having at least 3 jobs :lol:
Luckydave wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 am I’m selling one lol. a nearly new Nolan open face in white,worn handful of times by my Grandson who has discovered girls and won’t be seen dead on my Burgman
Size?? just show him the bus wanker episode of Inbetweeners even a burgman cooler than standing at a stop (though you don't get to exchange spit on a burgman waiting for your girlfriend to leave :roll: )

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I think it’s a medium.In loft at mo

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I wish I'd worn an old helmet whilst I was clearing up the leaves. I tripped and cracked my head on a concrete fence post. I was wearing big, green leaf mitts, so couldn't do much to soften the blow. It's a shame, I was going to take advantage of the glorious weather and go for a little ride but I'm feeling a bit wobbly.