How camp are you ? Show us your tackle

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Deleted User 7077

Re: How camp are you ? Show us your tackle

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I've got stove like that on the way Zzg not taking kettle got cooking pot on way with diffuser on bottom gets most heat out of flame .Snail don't know what the head is not top quality tent was ex display. I wanted minimal pegging and kneeling . I'm with you on bedding just brought sleeping bag will fill top box I recon .

Deleted User 7077

Get em started early .Took grandkids and big airbeam tent in school hols .The little princess loved it .

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Snail wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:56 am Also found on eBay are aluminium chairs and tables made by Trekology, very lightweight, but unsure if really needed, we have 2 lightweight stools from go outdoors

Biggest problem for us is bedding storage and what mats etc to use? Sleeping on the floor and old age don't gel quite so well now!
I have one of these Gelert fishing chairs:

complete with cup holder! Fits nicely behind my roll-top waterproof bag on the back seat. I can't be doing with sitting on the floor, and this is enough of a chair for me to be comfortable.

As far as sleeping goes I have Thermarest inflatable mattresses, which have been brilliant. They were bought a long time ago for a year-long trip to New Zealand, and I've never slept better on any other sort of camp bed/mattress. They were dear back then, but now everyone has copied them and you can get them from Gelert etc. from £20 upwards.

The Thermarest ones do come with a lifetime guarantee, though, and I can vouch for them honouring it... one of ours delaminated after about 15 years - I rang them, they said to send it for inspection, and two weeks later a brand new one was delivered.

As for bedding, I use a D of E approved Vango 4-season bag. I've never woken up cold in it, even on mornings when I've poked my head out to see ice on the tent! Don't forget to buy a cheap liner to use with it.

Deleted User 7077

I'm taking my directors chair got little folding side table .Can see it in back of van photo .

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Yes they look good, gets more complicated for two though! In days of old when we used to take scouts on camp we used compression straps, basically two end caps joined by four straps you could really pull down on them, unfortunately only compression bags seem available now which don't do quite the same job?

We are thinking now two thermorest mats one bag as a duvet to reduce bulk and a double liner to keep draughts out, we make our own liners from two single flat bed sheets, sew them up halfway to make an envelope, not going to be could in france in June is it!

I can roll the bag and liner by hand to around 18 by 9 inches, could reduce with compression, trying not to exceed 18 inches for anything, thought the mats could be strapped to the grab rails each side?

Have also seen Givi tunnel bags for Scoots but unsure how they are secured?

Deleted User 7077

Yes with 2 gets harder .I've took a chair before had it upright against top box then stacked up dry sacs in front of that bungied whole lot together .

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Snail wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:34 am Yes they look good, gets more complicated for two though! In days of old when we used to take scouts on camp we used compression straps, basically two end caps joined by four straps you could really pull down on them, unfortunately only compression bags seem available now which don't do quite the same job?We are thinking now two thermorest mats one bag as a duvet to reduce bulk and a double liner to keep draughts out, we make our own liners from two single flat bed sheets, sew them up halfway to make an envelope, not going to be could in france in June is it!I can roll the bag and liner by hand to around 18 by 9 inches, could reduce with compression, trying not to exceed 18 inches for anything, thought the mats could be strapped to the grab rails each side?Have also seen Givi tunnel bags for Scoots but unsure how they are secured?
If you are after decent quality lightweight camping gear try
www.alpkit.com

Deleted User 7077

I agree with that but I don't want to prebook anything if get to a site I like and fancy stopping a while and have mobiles or cabins free will take one .If 3 or 4 of you mobile home better option.

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Yes Meldrew I can't argue with your logic, but as HBMT says it's the prebooking we have to be here or there that is the only downside, we could make it easy and take our Hymer over? We did search for accommodation for the d day week, but booked solid allready, so try camping we can just change our minds where we stay or where we go, that is the beauty of van trips also.

But at the moment I can't shake this desire to try scoot camping/touring, despite being so unpractical, really don't know why I have it? Maybe just need a different adventure, having never tried it, been motorhoming since late seventies so a little change for a couple of weekends a year might be good? Fingers crossed

Deleted User 7077

Have to house trained obviously .I think I'll be on my own for this one anyway not many want to do 3 weeks tour and 24hr sea crossing.Long weekends is more popular on here.