T Max Another recall......,,

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Re: T Max Another recall......,,

Post by EvilRacer329 »

What's the story with this recall - are Yamaha contacting owners or is it something I need to phone up and ask about?

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, Yamaha wrote to me saying I needed a new stand back in February. It then took a while for the parts to arrive and then the lockdown arrived. I'm surprised that you don't seem to have heard anything, unless you have a slightly later model.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Just had an e-mail from the dealer York saying that they are back in business, so maybe I ought to get an appointment sorted for the stand. They even say the showroom can be visited 'by appointment' but as at least part of the showroom is a continuous space with the service desk, I find this a bit puzzling!

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Took the Tmax for a little bimble this morning,got home and gave it a wash,took the opportunity to have a good look at the new stand fitted last week,so once all was dry,i gave the stand a good coating of ACF50 might keep the rust at bay for a little bit :D

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I think the key maybe to keep redoing it, especially in winter with all sorts of muck, grime and salt blasting it. It shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of Yamaha to make a stand doesn't rot so badly.
I'm booked in for next Thursday. I shall have to take a Picnic lunch, though they claim the local Morrisons coffee shop is open, which I find hard to believe!

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:49 pm I think the key maybe to keep redoing it, especially in winter with all sorts of muck, grime and salt blasting it. It shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of Yamaha to make a stand doesn't rot so badly.
I'm booked in for next Thursday. I shall have to take a Picnic lunch, though they claim the local Morrisons coffee shop is open, which I find hard to believe!
Yea...i’ll be surprised if any coffee shops are open,i took a flask and a roll,most shops have a free monthly motorcycle monthly or similar in customer reception area.....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm

most shops have a free monthly motorcycle monthly or similar in customer reception area.....

They do/did, but I don't think waiting around in their reception is allowed now. Fortunately the weather is looking decent!

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Well, I can't seem to reach my local dealer. Having dug underneath my T-Max to install a new exhaust this week I'm frankly shocked at how rusty the stand is, and how oxidised the bare-alloy mounts are. If Yamaha aren't going to do any surgery, I'll be stripping everything off and having the pieces powder-coated myself.

It's aggravating as hell, but very few (if any) manufacturers seem to consider salty roads as part of their design brief, and ACF50 can only do so much on such exposed componentry. Comparatively, my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R is practically untouched by its 40,000 miles and at least two salty winters as my sole vehicle.

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:38 am Well, I can't seem to reach my local dealer. Having dug underneath my T-Max to install a new exhaust this week I'm frankly shocked at how rusty the stand is, and how oxidised the bare-alloy mounts are. If Yamaha aren't going to do any surgery, I'll be stripping everything off and having the pieces powder-coated myself.
Yeah, its appalling. The older ones were an awful lot better.

Just had my new stand fitted. Only snag being that it was unseasonably cold & grey first thing! Had to dress for cold weather in the morning and hot weather later on. Ended up needing the heated gloves and heated waistcoat on! York a creepy ghost town - just like everywhere else I guess, but since its normally utterly rammed with people it looks much stranger!

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Alright, second time's the charm! My local dealer cheerfully looked up my registration number and confirmed that, yes, I'm due a new centre stand and spring. When prompted, he suggested that perhaps Yamaha were still processing recall notices when the lockdown began, which is why I never heard anything. In any case, I'm all booked in and will see if this new stand proves any more rust-resistant...

While poking around under there I've found an awful lot of oxidization on the engine cases and other hardware, it seems everything was bare, unpainted alloy. Not impressive.