Honda Forza 350

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Du PontChardon
Current Ride: SYM Joyride 200i EVO

Re: Honda Forza 350

Post by Du PontChardon »

Although I do not own a Forza, I have always and do still enjoy maintaining my various bikes. I usually have the time and basic equipment to do most tasks, but am rapidly running out of garage space. Actually, just a few days before Christmas I bought my second Sym Joyride, just a few weeks after my original November purchase of the same model of scooter, this one though as a light 'winter project' as much for the fun and knowledge gleaned from studying workshop manuals, so easily and freely available on-line nowadays.

Vehicles are of course a lot more hi-tech than they used to be (although old-style engine timing and multiple-contact-breaker points were always a complete faff!) but oil changes, valve adjustment and basic care should not be beyond the capabilities of any average rider, with some basic tools and a suitable covered space. Unless that is, you have come to two-wheels straight from a garage-dependent motor car, where ignorance of all things mechanical seems to be a requirement.

I read recently on a forum - it may have been here - of a rider who takes his bike into a dealers to have his tyre pressures checked as he 'would not know where to start' to use his words. I hope I never encounter him on the road with his rapidly-deflating tyres and no doubt, oil level at its last dregs. Another rider, on his dealer's advice, has his drive belt replaced every one-thousand miles by his friendly local dealer. No wonder some bike shops now look more like affluent, high-class furniture stores!

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Managed at last to put enough miles on the Forza to qualify for the First Service; 596 - superb judgement!

It's been a difficult period, chest-wise, and the wind has been stronger than I care to ride in for pleasure so it's been a long process, nearly five months.

The service was not cheap but it's done now; I feel well looked-after by Newcastle Motorcycles so it's worth it.

I had a long chat with Paul, the salesman, about hand-guards, muffs, heated grips and heated gloves; the arthritis in my hands is progressing rather quickly so I want to get the most appropriate device to relieve the discomfort. I like muffs but there are so many buttons on the left-hand side of the bars I want to be able to see them.

We shall see.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

I fitted Tucano Urbano to my Forza during winter... and took them off again after the second ride! Because of the angle of the bars, the muffs seemed too constricting - not bad when going straight, but turning them left felt dangerous, so they had to go (make me an offer anyone?). Also, with too many switches on the left bar, it was very difficult to adjust the screen easily. It almost seemed as if the muffs were designed to be used without gloves.

Has anyone fitted hand guards to the 350? That seems like the next step.

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Is there enough room for handguard son the 350 without clashing with the mirror arms,on the 750 the screen gets in the way,I have heated grips and just upgraded the standard screen to a Givi airflow,which is a bit wider,so gives a bit of hand protection.

Mike….heated gloves might be the way for you to go,I had the Gerbing ones years ago,,powered via a cable which could sometimes be a pain,a bit like the old “Pics” cables on the X9,rechargeable ones have improved,so may be worth a look at.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Waldorf
Benefactor

Post by Waldorf »

Steve, the Givi guards are attached to the body so I assume allow plenty of room.
I might get them anyway although they are fabulously expensive; people keep telling me I can't take it with me!

I will investigate heated gloves; Newcastle Motorcycles treat me as a human-being so I have confidence in them; they will do the wiring and will also fit driving-lights and my Admore Light-Bar. I know they want my money but customer service means a great deal to me.

My affection for muffs is that I can wear summer gloves all year round and I'll miss that.

Mr. Scootabout, I will report back ; thank you for your input. :)

This exchange has made up my mind: Givi Guards it is.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

Heated gloves are fantastic! Unlike heated grips, they heat the back of your hands, including the fingers. They downside is that they are a faff to put on (you need to connect everything), but for longer journeys they are brilliant - I still use mine for any longer trips. However, I just can't be bothered for anything under 20 mins and they aren't wired up for my Forza (they're on the SH300). TBH if it's that cold nowadays, I'll probably take the car, as I'm getting old (and I now have a car!)

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I had handguards on my ADV,also put these on from barkbusters,i was able to see and use all the switches easily,yes i know had the heated grips as well😁

Had these on the Tmax,very good,but a bit of guess when using the switches,especially the cruise control and indicators

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Have just taken the Tucano Urbano muffs off mine for the summer!
Agree that they do compromise the switchgear, but, well, you get used to them and I don't use the daft 'phone controls' and my thumb adapts to the indicator switch.
Re heated gloves - I haven't tried them, but you can get ones powered by rechargeable batteries - wouldn't they solve the 'wiring faff'?
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Greyerbeard wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:38 am Re heated gloves - I haven't tried them, but you can get ones powered by rechargeable batteries - wouldn't they solve the 'wiring faff'?
When i had heated gloves,a few years ago admittedly,most have 3 settings if on the higher setting it killed the batteries pretty quickly and of course they are unable to be recharged until you can get to a mains power source,i guess a spare set of rechargeable batteries would alleviate this problem,but as you say no problem with trailing wires….

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Greyerbeard wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:38 am Have just taken the Tucano Urbano muffs off mine for the summer!
Agree that they do compromise the switchgear, but, well, you get used to them and I don't use the daft 'phone controls' and my thumb adapts to the indicator switch.
Re heated gloves - I haven't tried them, but you can get ones powered by rechargeable batteries - wouldn't they solve the 'wiring faff'?
I agree completely. The muffs do make using some controls a faff, but they are so warm. I've just taken mine off, and its sub-zero today, and my hands were freezing!
Yes, gloves powered by rechargeable batteries are faff and wiring free, and work very well. The only snag is that of course the amount of time they work is limited - I think my RST ones will go for 2 hours, depending on heat setting.