Suzuki an400 burgman K9 - funny noise

MIT

Re: Suzuki an400 burgman K9 - funny noise

Post by MIT »

That sounds like one hell of a long journey. Well, with the juddering noise, mines has kinda calmed down a bit. Especially if i rip it a little at the beginning of my journey the juddering stops altogether.
In terms of petrol consumption, i usually use the good stuff (BP ultimate or shell v power etc) and get a minimum of 12-13 MPL. there is a lot of traffic on my route but it has gone up to 15 mpl.

Would be very interesting to see what other people are getting. But try ripping it a little at the start of your journey and see how it goes.

Regards

Mit

greeme

Post by greeme »

I have a K8 doing the same thing. I have posted a message about this elsewhere on the site but just to recap, I'm told by my dealer that it's because Suzuki changed the clutches in some K7s, all K8s and new K9s too. The clucthes are too light and start to overheat. Mine started to play up on November 5th, and after two visits to the dealer, who said it was OK to ride (based on advice from Suzuki), it finally gave up altogether (completely seized clutch), locking the back wheel in the process. It's been at the dealers since December 1st. Still no sign of it being fixed. Dealer says they're waiting for parts.

If you get no joy from your dealer or Suzuki, contact Trading Standards.

Hope this helps.

Greeme

runragged2
Current Ride: AN400 K9

Post by runragged2 »

I found that riding style has something to do with it.

My style is now to go like stink from standing and accelerate rapidly to 30 (or whatever the limit or safe riding speed may be). This way the clutch isn't slipping for more than a fraction of a second.

Also, it is worthwhile removing and cleaning the air intake filter on the transmission. Mine was caked in muck, The manual indicates that you should clean this filter every 1800 miles, but doesn't show you where it is.

Its odd, the harder I ride, the more miles per gallon I get. Maybe its just the way the gears work.

6K miles and average just over 70MPG

In the warm weather, usually 75MPG.

David P
AN400K9

greeme

Post by greeme »

The best thing to do is to get the bike serviced every 1800-2000 miles. A bit of a pain, but I get mine serviced as soon as the noise starts. I use mine every day for a short commute and riding round town.

The burger is more suited to longer rides than commuting I think.

Greeme

greeme

Post by greeme »

Incidentally, Trading standards took up my case about Suzuki suplying faulty goods, 6 months ago, and to date, I've not heard anything from them!

Greeme :lol:

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

runragged2 wrote:
runragged2 wrote:How strange, my Burgman AN400 K9 has started to judder on take off from standing yesterday.
The judder is quiet severe.
2000 miles on the clock. IDavid P
An update - returned from dealer today - the engineer, reports that a accumulation of clutch dust was the cause. He has cleaned it and I wlll be testing it this evening.
My brother bought a Burgervan 400 last year and it shudders/squeals too. They gave him the same pony about cleaning the clutch which they did 3 times and finally they replaced the rollers which seemed to work for a while, but now it shudders again. Really pissed him off as he bought from new and you expect better from a Jap company.

My Xevo has the squealing sealion (though it doesn't affect performance) but that's stopped since I went for a long fast ride (170ish miles), so maybe that's the solution ;)

Persevere and keep nagging them though.

Maxman
Benefactor
Current Ride: XJ6s Diversion + X-Max 250 ABS

Post by Maxman »

Never had a problem with my old 400 K8 apart from the occasional slight squeel from cold first thing in the morning.

But I had found from new that, as the clutch doesn't lock til nearly 4k, the best way to ride it was to whack the the throttle open & let the scoot catch up.
Treating them gently means a lot of clutch slip which appears to be the cause of problems.

Advice on the Burgmanusa site to cure the problem, was to hold the scoot on the brakes & rev to 4k + for a few seconds to clean off the clutch. (Don't overdo it though).