Mash Up?

Chat about any motorbike here.
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Mash Up?

Post by Data »

A really good briefing on your Mash. I totally agree concerning how rewarding they are to ride and so pleased you like it. Curious as to your comment about the battery being neglected during a year of storage. If the bike was new, the battery (which doesn't have any chemicals in it during storage) isn't commissioned untill a day or two before the bike goes out so it should have been fine. Or was this an ex demo model?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:19 am Curious as to your comment about the battery being neglected during a year of storage. If the bike was new, the battery (which doesn't have any chemicals in it during storage) isn't commissioned untill a day or two before the bike goes out so it should have been fine. Or was this an ex demo model?
My understanding was that the bike was prepared and left in a showroom for a long time. The main focus of the dealer is in training and sales associated with new riders so I think it was a kind of shop window bike. I'm afraid one of the problems with these cheap Chinese imports is that the quality of the batteries and tyres can be questionable. Its also a bike which needs the battery to be in perfect condition to turn the engine over from cold. The original Honda design did not have an electric start but it did have an automatic decompressor so that double change isn't helpful. Typical modern singles such as Piaggio have a centrifugal decompressor on the camshaft and something like that would be a big help cold starting the Mash. To be fair it does have a kick start but unfortunately I have a bad ankle and don't dare risk it.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Oh that's interesting. Usually bikes don't have petrol or batteries in them in showrooms due to the risk of fire. Insurance doesn't allow it. But maybe someone messed up with yours & commissioned the battery ahead of time.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

It's very interesting. I completely agree with your sentiment concerning riding a bike like that is very rewarding. I rode the Mash 400 a few years back & thought it was an interesting bike. Glad you like it.

I recently bought a new 350 RE Meteor. Not quite as powerful as your Mash but as a cruiser that doesn't matter. But an absolute hoot to ride. No doubt you are enjoying your Mash & may that continue for many years!

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

I'm afraid I can't get into these Chinese bikes. Three reasons;

The ones I've seen at two years old look like they've been used a boat anchors. Possibly inexperienced owners or ones who view them as disposable, but they aren't going to do to Honda what Honda did to BSA without a new player deciding to brand build instead of the Chinese get-rich-quick tradition.

Spares supply was a joke two years ago. The Old Boy had a KeeWay. Nice little inoffensive 125, did everything asked until he cracked the rear light lens. Then it took three goes to get one that roughly fitted after a bit of light fileing because they change their names and have the same brand made in different factories week in week out. MASH have been the most stable for sure. When he sold to a Kawasaki dealer he lost more money than if he'd invested more in a Japanese bike. Honda and Enfield dealers all refused to take it in part exchange.

Politics. Not for a motorcycle forum, but giving my money to a dictatorship when there are alternatives is another thing against.

Ansy

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Trouble is Andy, we're all giving our money to the Chinese anyway. They supply absolutely everything these days. My car is a French car. It's suspension, electrics & many components are made in China. My German cars were largely the same. My new washing machine is full of Chinese parts as are my computers & phone, TV, leather furniture, new oven & hob etc etc I could go on. Almost every motorcycle you buy is part equipped with Chinese made components (ECU & looms, bearings etc) or is completely made in China. For example many Yamaha & HD bikes are made in China these days as are some Suzuki's along with some truly excellent Chinese bikes. So whilst I echo your sentiment regarding the politics of it all it's actually fairly pointless trying to avoid their products.

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

Yes and No.

The CV brake systems I sell are sold in the UK to be put on vehicles assembled here , designed and assembled in Poland, the final profit lands in Germany, there are sub-assemblies from India, Czechia and the USA . Yes, there is Chinese content as well but it's diluted both in where the work is done (every pair of hands is paid) and in who controls the ethical part. As a 115+ year old brand (admittedly with an early history at least in the UK as "Baby Killers") the current management would not want to be the last. They need to maintain an acceptable level of both quality and behaviour and culturally want to.

This has always been the case, you'd need to go back to before the Roman's to find an English tool made from 100% Cornish or Midlands iron, forged using Yorkshire coal with a handle grown in Hampshire etc. The bellows from the forge would probably include a Welsh sheeps bladder even then.

Royal Enfield have their design bureau in Warwickshire because that's the place to get content they need. MASH are showing signs of doing the same where as the other Chinese players keep churning through a cycle of copying, failing and re-inventing under yet another faux European name. When everyone except the import agent is Chinese and in China, that's where the money goes.

Andy

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Just to round out this thread I sold the Mash privately last year accepting a big depreciation loss for a machine that hadn't done many miles and cleaned up reasonably well. In its place I bought a Honda CB300R which is lighter and easier for me to handle yet still has better performance and completely modern equipment. Old style machinery has its charms but there comes a time when my old-style body doesn't agree!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...