Introduction/ Kymco AK550

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Hammo
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax

Introduction/ Kymco AK550

Post by Hammo »

Hi everyone

Just signed up to this forum looking for advice on my next purchase. I had a Yamaha XMax which was stolen from my lockup last week. It was less than two years old and while I was planning on an upgrade eventually, I wanted to wait about a year or so. Anyway the thieves did my deciding for me and I am looking to get a new Maxi. I really like the Yamaha TMax- I was torn between this and the Xmax but plumped for the latter partly on value for money grounds and partly because at that stage I wasn't that experienced a rider and that amount of power and weight was a bit daunting. I have done a couple of long rides and lots of day to day riding so I am pretty confident about buying a bigger machine. Anyway, I test drove an AK550 and really really liked it and it is considerably cheaper than the TMax. I put a downpayment on one because shipping issues mean they won't be in stock until early December and I wanted to secure one. I have done quite a bit of reading around and it is getting pretty good reviews. The only negative reviews I have seen have been along the lines of "if you are spending that much why not get a 'proper' bike'- I am sure that fellow maxi riders are used to that! I will mostly be using it as a commuter but I do like to take trips and I found that there have been a couple of times on my XMax when I have been out country that I could have done with a little bit more grunt. Anyway, opinions welcome. I guess the model hasn't been around for long enough to get a sense of long term issues but I generally expect to replace my ride every three years or so (or sooner if the bloody burglars decide to have another go).
Thanks
Richard

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Introduction/ Kymco AK550

Post by StephenC »

Welcome. I think we've had a couple of owners on here and the bike was well thought of.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: Introduction/ Kymco AK550

Post by roadster »

Speaking as an ex owner I am sure you will enjoy the Kymco. Latest models have eliminated the niggles of earlier ones and the performance for a twist and go is quite remarkable. Let us know if you have any specific questions after you take delivery.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...