New Kymco Maxis

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

New Kymco Maxis

Post by MrGrumpy »

Kymco are bringing out some new product...
The CV3 Three Wheeler (AK550 engine)

and a Sports Touring version of the AK 550 featuring Cornering ABS, which has to be a first on a scoot!

NO idea whether the CV3 will come to the UK, I presume the AK550ST will, eventually.....

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: New Kymco Maxis

Post by StephenC »

Doesn't BMW have ABS which works when leaning? Or is that only for their "real" bikes?

BTW, given the BMW and Kymco relationship I'm guessing the system is shared.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm not too aware of the spec of the BMW scoots, but I don't recall them having Cornering ABS. Bikes yes, and Ducatis etc have it. I don't think BMW and Kymco have that much of a relationship, especially since BMW don't make the C650 any more, and the C400 is made in (mainland) China.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Read a report on the CV3, it looked pretty good but you have to choose between a pillion or a top box judging by the pictures.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:33 pm Kymco are bringing out some new product...
The CV3 Three Wheeler (AK550 engine)

and a Sports Touring version of the AK 550 featuring Cornering ABS, which has to be a first on a scoot!

NO idea whether the CV3 will come to the UK, I presume the AK550ST will, eventually.....
Both them scoots look nice,,lots of extras on the three wheeler version,it’ll obviously be £10k+If it comes to Blighty👀,after riding with Roadrunner(Roger)a few times,i have given his 400 Kymco a good look over and i am impressed with Kymco…….but the same old problem rears its ugly head,UK dealer network…..

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

newscooter wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 pm Read a report on the CV3, it looked pretty good but you have to choose between a pillion or a top box judging by the pictures.
Yeah...I didn't quite understand the bit about the removable pillion seat. There again, I think the Kymco CV2 concept (and some old BMW R1200GS) had the feature where you could mount the topbox where the pillion seat would be, making the scoot shorter and easier to get in crowded garages etc. its odd that the scoot in the video had massive panniers! Does that mean there isn't much underseat space? I can't see why it should be different to the AK550 in this respect, given that they are clearly based on the same chassis and engine. Weighs 280kg! There again, that's only 40kg more than the AK550.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:43 pm
Both them scoots look nice,,lots of extras on the three wheeler version,it’ll obviously be £10k+If it comes to Blighty👀,after riding with Roadrunner(Roger)a few times,i have given his 400 Kymco a good look over and i am impressed with Kymco…….but the same old problem rears its ugly head,UK dealer network…..

Steve
Yup! There again, where I live, if I wanted a new Tmax, the Yamaha dealer network is almost as hopeless. For me, the nearest Yamaha dealers are in Bedlington (Northumberland) 60 miles/ 1hr away, or in Keighley (70miles, 1hr 40mins according to Google), whilst for Kymco, there nearest dealers are in Doncaster or Huddersfield both around 70 miles / 1h30mins away).

Du PontChardon
Current Ride: SYM Joyride 200i EVO

Post by Du PontChardon »

I rarely buy new - with a few exceptions - and without the need to worry about warranties, try to focus on bikes that I can reasonably service myself. Regarding the shortage of appropriate dealers generally, I think we always have to remember that motorcycling is still a minority interest amongst the general public and you'd probably have more chance of getting your refrigerator serviced than your bike!
In the days when it was mainly the big-four Japanese brands plus a few east European and Italian oddities it was perhaps less obvious, with a dealer carrying a range say from Honda, Yamaha and also MZ in their shop, with (hopefully) factory-trained service staff to suit. Now, with so much choice of generally similar luxury products often requiring sophisticated diagnostics and with prices beyond what might be considered budget-commuting, I can see why importers do not have a UK-wide coverage. I seem to remember reading that 50cc to 125cc is still the most popular 2-wheeled selling niche, mostly to learners and commuters with no other feasible options. Sadly, many of those I have seen frequently look like scrap-yard candidates after a very short life so would be unlikely to need a dealer network to maintain them.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, but there again, bikes are mostly toys for reasonably wealthy middle aged men these days, so you'd have thought that there would have to a be a profitable market selling more things and services that you may or may not need to this market! Manufacturers seem to insist on dealers being 'destination' places where a lifestyle is sold, rather than a place to buy and fix bikes.

Deleted User 18408

Post by Deleted User 18408 »

How many Kymco dealerships are there in the UK?
From today there's at least one less.
J&S have stopped selling bikes and scooters. Service departments gone too.
I was also intrigued to see that Kymco don't appear in the UK E10 compatibilty checker.
They are on a Netherlands one - It says they are not suitable for E10, which seems strange.
Information seems difficult to come by, to confirm or not.