drive belt cutting

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
hari
Current Ride: xmax 250 2009

drive belt cutting

Post by hari »

Xmax 250 2009 - just replaced with new...

clutch, drive belt, rollers (12g)
while riding I can feel the belt "biting" or slipping". After riding for few days checked the belt and able to see the attached pics cuts along the inside of the new belt.

To eliminate the belt being at fault, I installed the original belt that was on in there. Same issue also, seeing the cuts.

Have checked around area of the rotation of the belt... cant see any obstruction that can be causing this cut.

Any thoughts suggestions as to why this would be happening would be grateful.

regards
Hari

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: drive belt cutting

Post by roadster »

Most likely to be an incorrectly assembled variator. Its easy to get washer in the wrong places or to jam the halves of the variator so the nut seems tight when it is not.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

not enough in the pictures for us to know. did you try to run it with the cover off so you can see if there are issues?

hari

Post by hari »

roadster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 am Most likely to be an incorrectly assembled variator. Its easy to get washer in the wrong places or to jam the halves of the variator so the nut seems tight when it is not.
Thanks for this. I have removed the whole drive assembly( belt, variator, rollers, clutch etc) several times. Used another new belt. Put everything back to together ensuring everything is tight. Ran the bike without cover. Not able to see any physical obstruction.

I've replaced the belt on the bike few times precious and not had this issue.... only new items i've added this time is rollers and clutch! Same Brand/model of belt used as previously.

going to strip it down again this weekend to take another look.

hari

Post by hari »

roadster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 am Most likely to be an incorrectly assembled variator. Its easy to get washer in the wrong places or to jam the halves of the variator so the nut seems tight when it is not.
Thanks for this. I have removed the whole drive assembly( belt, variator, rollers, clutch etc) several times. Used another new belt. Put everything back to together ensuring everything is tight. Ran the bike without cover. Not able to see any physical obstruction.

I've replaced the belt on the bike few times precious and not had this issue.... only new items i've added this time is rollers and clutch! Same Brand/model of belt used as previously.

going to strip it down again this weekend to take another look.