Winter!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Re: Winter!

Post by Sylar »

I sometimes have my best rides in Winter. I have handlebar muffs and heated grips, i also have a Keis heated vest that i can plug in if needed. I prefer country lanes to motorways or dual carriageways, as long as the farmers have cut the hedges. I rarely see the Harley Davis bunch, or the highly polished bikes brigade in winter. As long as it is not raining when i set off the weather does not bother me too much, the right gear for the weather is the only way to go. I find my Cruisym 300i is up to any weather and have ridden through thunder storms without it missing a beat. Looking forward to some good rides in the near future.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

That's the spirit Sylar! :lol: A man after my own heart.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

dogwheel
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by dogwheel »

mottza wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:27 am I went out on my ebike last night. I need heated grips on it.
Good for the hands, not sure about what it might do to the range!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Really iis winter here this morning. Proper frost plus fog! And since there were quite heavy showers yesterday afternoon as well, everything was wet before it froze, so probably icy as well!

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

It's not mild any longer so I decided to try my old handlebar muffs on the Burgman, then took it out for a test ride. In my infinite wisdom :roll: I decided to come back over the Snake Pass, going up from the Glossop side towards Sheffield was quite pleasant, if a little cold, the sun was just setting and the mist was just starting to roll down the valleys. Now I did wonder where that mist was coming from a couple of corners later I got to the top of the pass and found out. I knew I was at the top but I couldn't see it. Thick fog and the temperature dropped to three degrees so I was glad I had the muffs on. I wasn't too happy with the way they fitted so this afternoon I had a couple of hours in the garage trying different ways of fitting them. In the end I made a small hole in the side of the muffs and used the screw from the bar end weights to hold them in place as before they were flopping off the end of the bars, there is a strap to hold them together but it is bit short and just pulled them forward, Haven't ridden it yet but they feel a lot better just sitting on the bike and they fit around the switches much better. Hoping to get a chance to ride it on tuesday afternoon.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, I sometimes have the muffs randomly slide off the end as well. Its just an irritation. On the mk3 Tmax, I've lost the plastic bit at the very end of the LH bar, so you'd have thought that that muff would slide off, but it doesn't (often, famous last words). Last year I had trouble with the screw through the bar end coming loose, though I don't use this to connect the muffs.

As for fog, I remember a sunny spring day a couple of years ago, and went up to the N York Moors. When I got to Blakey Ridge, the cloud was low enough to b covering the road. Visibility was not good! I was hoping for a car to pass so I could follow its lights, but when one passed, it disappeared so quickly I couldn't get on its tale! I passed the famous Lion Inn at Blakey, but the only way I knew it was there was there were a couple of cars parked near the road. Fortunately, I knew that my turn off was just passed the Inn, which took me down a steep hill into a fog free valley!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Iv'e just got the vision out to go to work on, the first real frosty morning of the year here in Manchester.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Mr Grumpy
Blakey ridge, I haven't been around there for a couple of years or so. It's nice up there good views and very open to the wind. :D

horobags
It wasn't frosty on this side of the pennines, much to my surprise, only about three degrees though.

Jury's still out on the new position of the Muffs. I had a ride across the city this afternoon to Hallamshire hospital to get a new hearing aid, didn't like them on the way there, getting used to them on the way back. One of the problems is they block the mirrors on the 650 if they aren't held in place, think it's going to be work in progress.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, I remember that Muffs on the 650 Burger were an issue with the underslung mirrors. Not sure if I resolved it somehow, or found a different set of muffs, or just didn't fit them - possibly the latter. I bought it in January, and sold it a few months later.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I’m in Winter trim on the Tmax Mk3 as it’s my daily workhorse. Shad muffs, Oxford heated grips, Tucano Urbano Termoscud and a £40 carbon fibre heated seat pad kit from ebay. Unfortunately my indicators stopped working on this evenings ride home, might be the flasher relay or switchgear as the fuse is good. Stuck using my VW T5 camper to commute until I can fix it.