Winter!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Winter!

Post by StephenC »

Heated grips on maximum on the X360 for the ride home tonight. London was fine until I got out as far as Romford and then it felt like I'd crossed the Artic Circle!

No5 looking forward to the commute tomorrow, as roads likely to be icy
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

Thought I would check in as a former xmax 300 owner. Good to see folk riding through winter. I fitted the Yanaha muffs to the Xmax and they were a proper game changer. No hearted grips and rode through winter with warm hands. I now have heated grips on the Tracer with factory fitted plastic hand guards and they are not as effective as a £35 pair of muffs. Have to say, I'm kind of missing the weather protection from the Xmax fairing too!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Haven't been on either scoot for days - very little snow here, but lots of ice lurking away from the main drags.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Much the same here; I live within a stone's throw of the well-gritted bus routes but dare not risk going up the ungritted road where I live on either scooter.
Even the Jimny lost traction on the back lane this morning and I was going slowly in a high gear.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Waldorf wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:25 pm Much the same here; I live within a stone's throw of the well-gritted bus routes but dare not risk going up the ungritted road where I live on either scooter.
Even the Jimny lost traction on the back lane this morning and I was going slowly in a high gear.
Snap! Although my Suzuki is an S-Cross.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

StephenC wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:44 pm
Waldorf wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:25 pm Much the same here; I live within a stone's throw of the well-gritted bus routes but dare not risk going up the ungritted road where I live on either scooter.
Snap! Although my Suzuki is an S-Cross.
How are you finding the S-Cross? I've just bought an Ignis and I'm very pleased with it. MPG is excellent, the worst I've had is 50 and that's in this cold weather, stop start commuting.

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

There's no way you can ride in recent conditions. Main roads might be treated but there is black ice around. My side road is ungritted, wouldn't be able to navigate on two wheels, however brave/skillful. Next week might be different?

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

smeghead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:45 am How are you finding the S-Cross? I've just bought an Ignis and I'm very pleased with it. MPG is excellent, the worst I've had is 50 and that's in this cold weather, stop start commuting.
Ours is a 2015 1.6 petrol 120hp and routinely hits 50mpg, with a low of 45mpg, which is a pleasant change after our Mazda CX7 which returned 23mpg! But then they are very different. The CX7 was a monster with 260hp and 4-wheel drive.

We bought the S-Cross because it was spacious, cheap for the size, cheap to run, great reputation for reliability and the engine and chassis are straight from the Swift Sport (always fancied one of them). The way it looks from the front is, let's be generous, challenging, but the rest is fine. To be fair, it's a bit dull inside but the quality is excellent. We've had ours 2.5yrs and not had anything go wrong. Even better, the price to buy one now is that same as it cost us! I guess that's down to people wanting ULEZ compliant and economical petrol engines.

Overall, I can't recommend one highly enough especially over equivalents like the Mitsu ASX, Nissan Qashqai, etc.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:53 am
Ours is a 2015 1.6 petrol 120hp and routinely hits 50mpg, with a low of 45mpg,
We bought the S-Cross because it was spacious, cheap for the size, cheap to run, great reputation for reliability and the engine and chassis are straight from the Swift Sport (always fancied one of them).
Hmmm....I actually have a (2013) Swift Sport, and I never get anywhere near 50mpg - I'm delighted on the rare occasion I get over 40! And the Swift is presumably smaller and lighter than the S-cross! I must have a heavy right foot......The Swift Sport is a lovely car, though not very sporty actually - you have to really use lots of revs to get much performance (diesel Audis and Passats see it off easily!. The 6 speed box has silly ratios - generally too low. You rarely need anything lower than 3rd once you are moving.

As for the weather, it gets worse! Heavy snow on the Pennines and on the A1 today. We must have had a tiny covering here, which then turned to rain, which then stopped and the whole lot promptly froze!

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Perhaps you are heavy of foot! More likely the type of roads and traffic we have are different or maybe Suzuki made changes between 2013 and 2015?

Only the first Swift GTI was meant to be quick I think, the later Sports are more about fun than outright pace, like the Panda 100. Personally I prefer revvers than sluggers for driving enjoyment.