A couple of ?

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

A couple of ?

Post by knight2 »

When changing the engine oil I have always replaced the filter but this time I'm not, I'm doing it by the book. So my question is, is it worth taking the filter off to drain it or will it drain sufficiently in situ.
I'm also going to change the clutch/transmission oil and have cobbled together a pipe and funnel for the refill, it's a bit of a pain to get to, the outside diameter of the pipe is 10mm. Will it fit in the hole, I think it will but I'm not sure.
I'm planning on doing it next Tuesday so I want to get every thing sorted before I start. It's a an 650 12 plate if it makes a difference.
Off Topic
Just been looking at all those icons above you can do all sorts with them, pity one of them isn't a spell checker, you know something really useful :roll:

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: A couple of ?

Post by capitano »

knight2 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 am
Off Topic
Just been looking at all those icons above you can do all sorts with them, pity one of them isn't a spell checker, you know something really useful :roll:
Funky can undoubtedly answer this with more technical accuracy, but I'll respond for now.

PHBB, the platform that Maxi Muppets runs on, has many optional features.

However, with every added feature, the security risks increase, as do the risks of the forum going down regularly due to technical issues.

We, along with other successful forums, run the simplest PHBB platform as it is feasible to run, with the intention of keeping it running, safely and securely for our members.

Most, if not all, browsers, run spellchecking software. Hence it's a far better option for users to provide their own, rather than adding complexity to the forum.

For example, I use Firefox for Mac and it spellchecks my text on forums and social media.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

knight2 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 am When changing the engine oil I have always replaced the filter but this time I'm not, I'm doing it by the book. So my question is, is it worth taking the filter off to drain it or will it drain sufficiently in situ.
I'm also going to change the clutch/transmission oil and have cobbled together a pipe and funnel for the refill, it's a bit of a pain to get to, the outside diameter of the pipe is 10mm. Will it fit in the hole, I think it will but I'm not sure.
I'm planning on doing it next Tuesday so I want to get every thing sorted before I start. It's a an 650 12 plate if it makes a difference.
Off Topic
Hi knight, yeah...you're ok just leaving the filter in place. No need to undo it to drain it. That is difficult to do anyway as the filter has an anti drain back device fitted so you would have difficulty doing that anyway. The amount of oil in it as you likely know is tiny so don't worry about it. In the workshop the filter would be just left in place if the book says just drop the oil. Not sure about the oil pipe size you mention as I've never measured the actual hole. But 10mm sounds ok.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

knight2

Post by knight2 »

capitano wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:58 pm
Off Topic
Funky can undoubtedly answer this with more technical accuracy, but I'll respond for now.

However, with every added feature, the security risks increase, as do the risks of the forum going down regularly due to technical issues.

We, along with other successful forums, run the simplest PHBB platform as it is feasible to run, with the intention of keeping it running, safely and securely for our members.

Most, if not all, browsers, run spellchecking software. Hence it's a far better option for users to provide their own, rather than adding complexity to the forum.

For example, I use Firefox for Mac and it spellchecks my text on forums and social media.
capitano
I wasn't having a dig at the forum and I apologise if it appeared that way. It just seemed to me that, font type, font size and spell checker would be the basic things most people would want and was surprised it wasn't there. I've used the PHBB platform on other forums and find it very easy and reliable to use, it just seemed an odd omission.

knight2

Post by knight2 »

Data
Once again thanks for that cause in the misguided idea that I would be making a better job of it I would have taken it off. I do like to see nice clean oil in that sight glass. Leaving it in place certainly makes the job a bit of a doddle :idea: icon_thumbs_up.gif

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

knight2 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:20 am
capitano wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:58 pm
Off Topic

capitano
I wasn't having a dig at the forum and I apologise if it appeared that way. It just seemed to me that, font type, font size and spell checker would be the basic things most people would want and was surprised it wasn't there. I've used the PHBB platform on other forums and find it very easy and reliable to use, it just seemed an odd omission.
No, I certainly didn't take it that way.

It was a valid question and was deserving of a valid response.

knight2

Post by knight2 »

capitano
Thank you, when I read it again later it did seem a tad sarcastic.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

I had a quick search, there are no mods that do spell checking for phpbb and everyone seems to rely on a browser to do it for them or browser extentions as its more simplistic. There are other forum software, like SMF, that do have spell checking built in but they have far less functions, and over time there seems to be less support for it because of browsers already doing it.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...