Tmax 530 DX for taller riders, how's the legroom?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Tmax 530 DX for taller riders, how's the legroom?

Post by Taipan »

Hi All

Thinking of chopping in both my bikes (sh300 and MT09) and getting a Tmax DX. I've had a MK1,2 & 3 Tmax but found the mk3 had less legroom. I just wanted to check the 530DX is okay for taller riders and you dont hit your knees on full lock or suchlike?

The occasional smart key issues aside, how are the DX's holding up reliability wise, anything I should know or look out for?

Many thanks.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax 530 DX for taller riders, how's the legroom?

Post by MrGrumpy »

Don't worry, the mk3 was unique in its riding position. There again, as a person of normal height, I find the mk3's riding position very comfortable! Yamaha obviously decided that they'd made a mistake by making it unrideable for tall people, so the riding position on the mk4 onwards is very similar to that of the mk1 & 2.

Reliability wise...it has to be said that Yamaha quality isn't as good as it used to be...recent ones seem to be best with random component failures. I and someone else on here have lambda sensors fail, I've had ABS sensors fail, radiators seem to be a suspect (though they seemed worse on the mk3). I had the coil & radiator fail on the mk4. The worse case was my rear shock absorber failing after 11k miles! Fortunately I've not heard of this happening to anyone else. Its not that there is a particular problem area, just components fail when you least expect them! After the shock absorber episode, I swore I junk the Tmax mk6 and buy a Forza instead, but the Tmax is still so damn good to ride, I've still got both my mk3 & 6!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Taipan, I'm 6'1" with long legs but I don't look like an alien (just thought I'd mention that :o ). I've only ridden the DX once (it belongs to a neighbour) but it seemed ok & I don't recall banging knees on full lock.

The neighbours bike, bought new has spent significant amounts of time at the dealers during this first year of ownership with all sorts of electrical issues, clutch problems & an engine misfire. However when it's going ok it's a delight. I think at the moment it's running fine so fingers crossed. Overall I've always liked them & mechanically they are normally very tough bikes but with some flakey components fitted which cause issues. I've never really worked on one myself other than doing some diagnostic work & an oil change but most things are pretty easy to do on it my ex tech colleagues tell me. But a bit expensive to properly service at a dealers.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:11 am Don't worry, the mk3 was unique in its riding position. There again, as a person of normal height, I find the mk3's riding position very comfortable! Yamaha obviously decided that they'd made a mistake by making it unrideable for tall people, so the riding position on the mk4 onwards is very similar to that of the mk1 & 2.

Reliability wise...it has to be said that Yamaha quality isn't as good as it used to be...recent ones seem to be best with random component failures. I and someone else on here have lambda sensors fail, I've had ABS sensors fail, radiators seem to be a suspect (though they seemed worse on the mk3). I had the coil & radiator fail on the mk4. The worse case was my rear shock absorber failing after 11k miles! Fortunately I've not heard of this happening to anyone else. Its not that there is a particular problem area, just components fail when you least expect them! After the shock absorber episode, I swore I junk the Tmax mk6 and buy a Forza instead, but the Tmax is still so damn good to ride, I've still got both my mk3 & 6!
Yeah, I keep getting drawn back to them lol. Good info, thanks. thumb.gif

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Data wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 am Taipan, I'm 6'1" with long legs but I don't look like an alien (just thought I'd mention that :o ). I've only ridden the DX once (it belongs to a neighbour) but it seemed ok & I don't recall banging knees on full lock.

The neighbours bike, bought new has spent significant amounts of time at the dealers during this first year of ownership with all sorts of electrical issues, clutch problems & an engine misfire. However when it's going ok it's a delight. I think at the moment it's running fine so fingers crossed. Overall I've always liked them & mechanically they are normally very tough bikes but with some flakey components fitted which cause issues. I've never really worked on one myself other than doing some diagnostic work & an oil change but most things are pretty easy to do on it my ex tech colleagues tell me. But a bit expensive to properly service at a dealers.
Thats why I go back to the SH300, its so easy to work on! I have done stuff on past Tmaxes, belt change, carb rebuilds, throttle body change, but they are tedious to work on as you have to remove so much stuff to get at anything. But they are always my favourite maxi scoot...

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

I had test ride on a 2020 X Max 560 in August last year. I'm 6'3" and I don't remember the bars hitting my knees, but I always stick my knee out when doing a tight turn anyway, to make sure that doesn't happen When riding the bike, my knees were higher than my hips, and I got lower back ache after about 45 mins of riding.

Betty
Current Ride: Tmax 530 DX

Post by Betty »

8k and no probs apart from a smart key problem that seems to have cured itself,
when i was looking for one there seemed to be alot with corrosion underneath and around the rear brake caliper.
6'1"
Betty the Scoot

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Betty wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:56 pm
when i was looking for one there seemed to be alot with corrosion underneath and around the rear brake caliper.
Yeah...everything metal rusts before your eyes! Centre stand especially shockingly. Even me, mechanically lazy and incompetent, has to frequently repaint bits with ACF50 / Hammerite to keep it looking vaguely tolerable.

Betty
Current Ride: Tmax 530 DX

Post by Betty »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:15 am
Betty wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:56 pm
Yeah...everything metal rusts before your eyes! Centre stand especially shockingly. Even me, mechanically lazy and incompetent, has to frequently repaint bits with ACF50 / Hammerite to keep it looking vaguely tolerable.
Yes every nut bolt and shiney thing painted with chain lube and of course we had a new Center Stand on recall and that got the lube treatment,
it looks shit but she's rust free 8-)
Used everyday !
Betty the Scoot

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Thanks everyone.