Part ex deal on my Piaggio BV350 ST

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Re: Part ex deal on my Piaggio BV350 ST

Post by Argyll »

That CBF looks nice. Same colour as the one that I had.

Fantastic all rounder but just be aware of it's Achilles' heel - the stator. Quite a few failures over the years but I believe that cheap replacements are now available. I don't think that it would put me off buying another one but I'd be asking the dealer for 12 months warranty on that part. In truth, I'd probably go for the facelift model (2010 on) although they are more expensive. Also easier to sell on once you realise how heavy these bikes are :D

But, considering the price is pretty good, the one from Craigs isn't a bad choice. I'd hold out for £2k for the Bev.

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

Argyll wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:12 am That CBF looks nice. Same colour as the one that I had.

Fantastic all rounder but just be aware of it's Achilles' heel - the stator. Quite a few failures over the years but I believe that cheap replacements are now available. I don't think that it would put me off buying another one but I'd be asking the dealer for 12 months warranty on that part. In truth, I'd probably go for the facelift model (2010 on) although they are more expensive. Also easier to sell on once you realise how heavy these bikes are :D

But, considering the price is pretty good, the one from Craigs isn't a bad choice. I'd hold out for £2k for the Bev.
Thanks. The weight is a concern. If I cant move it about with my Arthritis it could be an issue. Will find out next week. Yes I would feel happier with £2k or maybe delivery and a top box thrown in.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Having been involved in the trade for many years, the price for both machines looks fine considering their age & condition. You can indeed stick out for more on your px but I suspect you won't get it. You can ask for more off the price of the Honda bike, but again you most likely won't get much if anything extra. You either get good trade in or good purchase price, not both. Or, as some dealers do, they spread what you get over the two bikes. But always remember there is only so much profit in any deal & the dealer has to make every penny he can while being fair, to stay in business. The amount of profit on this deal as outlined is not much, trust me. Don't forget too that the dealer has to provide at least a 3 month warranty, a service on each bike plus correction of any existing issues small or large. Any warranty claim can easily outstrip any profit made on the two bikes. It's all a bit of a gamble for the dealer. But good dealers usually get it right & everyone is happy.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Data wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:21 am Having been involved in the trade for many years, the price for both machines looks fine considering their age & condition. You can indeed stick out for more on your px but I suspect you won't get it. You can ask for more off the price of the Honda bike, but again you most likely won't get much if anything extra. You either get good trade in or good purchase price, not both. Or, as some dealers do, they spread what you get over the two bikes. But always remember there is only so much profit in any deal & the dealer has to make every penny he can while being fair, to stay in business. The amount of profit on this deal as outlined is not much, trust me. Don't forget too that the dealer has to provide at least a 3 month warranty, a service on each bike plus correction of any existing issues small or large. Any warranty claim can easily outstrip any profit made on the two bikes. It's all a bit of a gamble for the dealer. But good dealers usually get it right & everyone is happy.
Uncomfortable reading for us punters, but well said.

Bit like the complaints about why a botte of wine at a restaurant costs much more than a supermarket. Short answer is that you're not just paying for the wine...
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:21 am Having been involved in the trade for many years, the price for both machines looks fine considering their age & condition. You can indeed stick out for more on your px but I suspect you won't get it. You can ask for more off the price of the Honda bike, but again you most likely won't get much if anything extra. You either get good trade in or good purchase price, not both. Or, as some dealers do, they spread what you get over the two bikes. But always remember there is only so much profit in any deal & the dealer has to make every penny he can while being fair, to stay in business. The amount of profit on this deal as outlined is not much, trust me. Don't forget too that the dealer has to provide at least a 3 month warranty, a service on each bike plus correction of any existing issues small or large. Any warranty claim can easily outstrip any profit made on the two bikes. It's all a bit of a gamble for the dealer. But good dealers usually get it right & everyone is happy.
Useful to hear from someone involved in the trade thanks. Yes I think it sounds fair. The dealer already said he would throw in a top box although exactly which top box at the moment is unclear. Ill chance my arm at maybe seeing if they will throw in delivery. I realise they have to make a profit and we are not talking about huge sums here anyway.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

If he offers a reasonable top box then bite his arm off. They can be expensive as you no doubt know. I like the look of the Honda by the way. Pretty solid bikes but as said earlier if the stator fails it's rather costly. Even if he sells your BV for £1000 more than what he pays you for it, he'll lose pretty much all that profit (although not all of it is profit of course as he's had to service your BV and the Honda, fix any discovered issues & he's not making much on the Honda either) if the stator goes during warranty...so you can see that's where risks come in, amongst the many others of course. When you consider wages, premises, professional indemnity insurance & public liability insurance (both very costly in the trade) and warranty cover (which doesn't cover lower cost bikes over a certain age) and the many other running costs of the business such as heating & lighting etc, it's pretty reasonable what's on offer. As Stephen implies, the cost of the wine is good! ;)

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

StephenC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:37 am
Uncomfortable reading for us punters, but well said.

Bit like the complaints about why a botte of wine at a restaurant costs much more than a supermarket. Short answer is that you're not just paying for the wine...
Spot on Stephen.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:53 am If he offers a reasonable top box then bite his arm off. They can be expensive as you no doubt know. I like the look of the Honda by the way. Pretty solid bikes but as said earlier if the stator fails it's rather costly. Even if he sells your BV for £1000 more than what he pays you for it, he'll lose pretty much all that profit (although not all of it is profit of course as he's had to service your BV and the Honda, fix any discovered issues & he's not making much on the Honda either) if the stator goes during warranty...so you can see that's where risks come in, amongst the many others of course. When you consider wages, premises, professional indemnity insurance & public liability insurance (both very costly in the trade) and warranty cover (which doesn't cover lower cost bikes over a certain age) and the many other running costs of the business such as heating & lighting etc, it's pretty reasonable what's on offer. As Stephen implies, the cost of the wine is good! ;)
Thanks. I might quiz the dealer about the Stator when I speak to them. Maybe its been replaced in the service history. One of the advantages of the private sale up the road is the stator was replaced with an Elextrix model which apparently are more reliable. However I gather they are a DIY fix which for me will be my local tame mechanic. I think they are about £170?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

If it's £170 plus some labour it's probably not too bad but that does sound a bit cheap. However, I'm not very up to date on Honda pricing and labour charges but it's definitely diy...able! You need a bit of strength though to get the old stator out and the new one in. I personally wouldn't worry too much about stator failure Bingo. Even the genuine Honda part is probably much better now with a longer service life but no doubt quite a bit more money than any pattern parts by quite a bit.

Bingo

Post by Bingo »

Data wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:28 am If it's £170 plus some labour it's probably not too bad but that does sound a bit cheap. However, I'm not very up to date on Honda pricing and labour charges but it's definitely diy...able! You need a bit of strength though to get the old stator out and the new one in. I personally wouldn't worry too much about stator failure Bingo. Even the genuine Honda part is probable much better now with a longer service life but no doubt quite a bit more money than any pattern parts by quite a bit.
This is it I think. With 30000 on the clock I bet its been replaced

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/honda- ... ort-677550

The Elextrix ones are a bit cheaper I think and reliable. One guy on the CBF forum says he carries a spare one and can fit them by the road side. No chance of me doing that of course. :D

Anyway all being well Im off on Monday for a test ride.