I'm back on a TMax

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

I'm back on a TMax

Post by Dr Gonzo »

Three months and three days after my previous TMax got nicked I've got another.

This one is a '21 and unlike the previous one, it's got the stock exhaust (boo). However, it's also got the stock screen rather than the Yamaha 'sports' screen and it's a revelation. I raised it to the point where I was just looking over the top of it and almost no wind noise around my helmet and I could happily ride at the national speed limit with my visor up. I'd heard the stock screen was good, but no one told me it was that good.

I've upped the security up this time too. Hopefully, I'll have his one for more than two months. :shock:

five50
Current Ride: xmax300

Re: I'm back on a TMax

Post by five50 »

Sounds good - keep us updated.

Does anyone have any views on how the Tmax compares to other commuter stuff such as NC750 or Xadv 750?

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I ride a Mk3 Tmax and my work colleague rides an NC750. Both are great commuter bikes and similar in performance and economy but I reckon mine is slightly more practical thanks to bigger storage and being twist 'n go. The seat on his Honda is apparently quite uncomfortable.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've only test ridden the original X-ADV, which I found OK, though not exciting. I think its a head vs heart thing - the Honda NC models are probably more sensible, and certainly more economical (and probably quicker than a Tmax), but the Tmax is just so much more fun! Unlike older Integras, recent NC models have roughly the same storage space as the Tmax (1 full face helmet). Newer Tmaxs have a V-belt on the CVT (change every 12k miles) and a final drive belt, whilst the Hondas have no V-belt but a final drive chain to maintain - you can pick which of those you prefer the most!

five50

Post by five50 »

Thank you - from how much fun my Xmax 300 is in town (in my humble opinion) I can imagine what you are saying.

Betty
Current Ride: Tmax 530 DX

Post by Betty »

Congrats yes the Screen is great i did have a go on the 2022 model and the Screen didn't go as high.
Betty the Scoot

five50

Post by five50 »

Can I ask some more dumb tmax questions?

Honestly my Xmax is quick enough for London commuting - but it’s good to have a change in a while…
On an tmax am I just going to be going even faster or feel frustrated - or it’s ok to also cruise without pushing??
Am tempted by the analogue dash 560cc model - any major differences from a rider perspective between this and the latest 560 - other than the digi dash, the front fairing shape and I guess Euro 5 vs 4?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well...you may be going faster as the Tmax does encourage you to twist the throttle! I'm not sure in what sense you think you might be frustrated - are you thinking the Tmax won't be fast enough, or just encourage to ride even more like a maniac? It might do the latter as its such fun....but recent Tmaxs have ample power for any situation on the road. Overtakes are effortless - mid range ones especially. The Tmax is also fine to doddle around on, if you force yourself - its very docile really. The way that the weight is carried so low means its so stable, you don't feel you have to ride a 90 just to keep upright.

There again, the Xmax 300 goes as fast as you really need....it'll exceed any UK speed limit in any circumstances if you want. But what you want often isn't the same as what you need!

Tmaxs from 2017 onwards are basically the same - same chassis and suspension design anyway. Capacity rose from 530 to 560 when they changed the engine to meet Euro5 or 6 emission requirements. They've tweaked ths suspension a bit, and as you say, the most recent ones have got even more electronics and the digi dash, but its fundamentally the same bike. I've never thought it worth upgrading from my mk6 to a mk7 or 8 - even if I could afford it and if there was a Yamaha dealer within reach!

five50

Post by five50 »

Thank you good info, partic re the model updates.

Certainly if u watch YouTube reviews of the tmax you can see how people enjoy the bike - i particularly take that from Michael neeves at MCN who rides everything and generally seems a bit non-plussed - but seems buzzing about the tmax.

Frustrating in terms of not being able to really use its performance vs something lower power that you feel you can rag (somewhat) without actually going too fast. A lot of the time I’m in 20-30 limits.

I guess the ultimate example is a 200bhp literbike where really it’s difficult to really stretch its legs without risking jail time.

Anyway, feel that I may need to scratch the tmax itch. An earlier bike might be a bit less of a theft risk - but not sure how much difference it really makes - if they can take it they’ll take it…

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Regarding thefts - I think the very early ones didn't have an immobiliser - mk3s from 2008 certainly did though. 2017 onward ones have a locking centrestand, which is nice.
To an extent, extracting the most from a slow bike can be an interesting challenge.....though probably one I'm not patient enough to rise to! When I got my first Tmax, I'd had an Aprilia Atlantic 500 before, and getting that round bends was best described as a challenge - counter steer as hard as you could, and forget all about changing lines in the middle of a corner! The Tmax initially struck me as dull - it did exactly what it was told, with no dramas or complaints!. I soon learnt to push it harder to see what it could really do!
The chances of a Tmax exceeding 100 mph for any notable time are pretty slim, so you are unlikely to be sent to jail, but of course, there is ample power to easily exceed any speed limit, so you have to be control yourself!
As for videos - have you seen Mark Pulling's video tests of the Tmax on Youtube? - I find that his vids give a really good impression of riding the Tmax (and Forza etc etc).