TMAX 530DX TPS issue

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

TMAX 530DX TPS issue

Post by Capelli32 »

Hi there, TPS question for you. Was on the bike the other day , it was wet with lots of spray. I was in the outside lane of the motorway when the bike started to miss, then the engine light came on and I had no power. Managed to get to the roadside safely(ish), turned it off and it restarted. I went on my way again and it stopped a further 4 times. Got to my destination and plugged in my OBD reader which I carry with me, and the error code was voltage to throttle position sensor.

I took the side panel off the bike today and wanted to do a multimeter check on the TPS but I needed to remove the TPS but I didn’t have torx security bits (now on order) – anyway plug looked clean with no evidence of water in it. Do these sensors go wrong often or do you think the dampness/wet could have caused the issue. I’ve done 200+ since (in dryish conditions) and its been ok with no missing or signs of an issue.

I’ll check the TPS resistance once I can remove the TPS

Cheers RW

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: TMAX 530DX TPS issue

Post by MrGrumpy »

As I've no idea what TPS stands for, I can't help you! However, sensors of various kinds DO go wrong on modern Tmaxs - I have got through the Lambda O2 sensor and the ABS wheel sensors on mine. And on modern machinery, a single fault on a sensor can cause chaos.

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

sry, Throttle Position Sensor

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Yeah, this looks like a case of voltage leakage due to damp from all that water on the road. Often connectors are the problem. The TPS won't be or is unlikely to be at fault. By all means check the impedance, the values will be in the workshop manual. But just check that the connectors that carry the signals are watertight. Remember that obd readings only point the way & can be misleading. Check the ECU connectors too. If using dialectic grease to waterproof, remember it's non conductive! Keep it off the actual connections. You most likely know this but for those that don't, worth saying.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Capelli32

Post by Capelli32 »

Hi Data, thank you for the very useful advice. I has some silicon lube for connectors so will take everything apart, blow out with airline and reconnect. Have done another 150 miles on the bike and all still fine

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Good! You've kinda proven that damp was the issue. Well done mate.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I like a happy ending. :P
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.