A new T Max is now £13800

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: A new T Max is now £13800

Post by MrGrumpy »

By coincidence, the new edition of MoreBikes has a test of the latest Tmax - not that it says anything most of us don't know already! Its puzzling as it refers to the 'new 2022 model', and gives the 2022 price (£12,500) as well - I guess the article has been hanging around for a while.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Pukmeister wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:08 am I've still got your old Mk3 Robbo, its coming up for 50K on the odometer and I can't see me changing it any time soon.

When HP or a personal loan was the only way to get stuff on credit, prices were acceptable. Once the PCP game started, prices got silly almost overnight. You can blame all the folk that buy on PCP schemes for the increased prices of vehicles.

I changed my 2008 R1200GSA last year for a two year old model R1250GSA and now in hindsight I wish I had just kept my old bike and the cash, it is so overpriced for what it is. I paid £14k plus my old bike with luggage and still had to buy new hard luggage for another £1k and I am tied into expensive dealer servicing whilst the warranty runs.

For those of us that prefer to buy with our hard-earned savings, the days of a good deal are now hard to find.
That was a great bike . I think I traded it for a c600 BMW , what a mistake! The C 600 was plagued with issues being one of the first in the country. BMW bought it back for what I paid for it and I bought a 1200 Adventure.50000 miles is good going though

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

tmaxrobbo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:45 am 50000 miles is good going though
To be fair, it is such a well engineered machine I can see it doing another 50K. The Mk1 was a good design which they just keep improving on with small tweaks....... With its Nikasil cylinder liners and regular oil changes it should outlast me.

It has needed new brake disks and pads all round due to worn disks and a fork rebuild due to a weeping seal, with just regular routine servicing to wear items like oil/filters/variator weights/primary belt/brake pads/tyres/battery.

Just recently fitted front EBC sintered pads, I am going to replace the corroding front brake pistons soon for a set of stainless steel ones with new seals and possibly also fit a new set of clutch plates at some point as I think I detect slight slippage when pulling away hard.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:08 am
To be fair, it is such a well engineered machine I can see it doing another 50K. The Mk1 was a good design which they just keep improving on with small tweaks....... With its Nikasil cylinder liners and regular oil changes it should outlast me.

It has needed new brake disks and pads all round due to worn disks and a fork rebuild due to a weeping seal, with just regular routine servicing to wear items like oil/filters/variator weights/primary belt/brake pads/tyres/battery.

Just recently fitted front EBC sintered pads, I am going to replace the corroding front brake pistons soon for a set of stainless steel ones with new seals and possibly also fit a new set of clutch plates at some point as I think I detect slight slippage when pulling away hard.
All sounds familiar - my mk3 has done 30 something thousand miles now. Replaced my corroded brake pistons last year - I got TRK ones which are (apparently) top quality and a lot cheaper than Yamaha ones. Myfront brake disks are getting thin, so they will need doing soon - I'll probably get EBC ones as they are a bit cheaper than Yamaha ones. I think Funkycowie did the clutch on mine before I bought it!

Haven't had any fork problems yet, but I did need a new exhaust!

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 am My front brake disks are getting thin, so they will need doing soon - I'll probably get EBC ones as they are a bit cheaper than Yamaha ones.
I have no idea why my fork seal started weeping as no signs of corrosion to the chrome and the stanchions are straight and true. Its a pain in the arse to strip and change the seals but I've done enough fork seals on bikes over the years.

When I swapped my brake disk rotors I got some via ebay from Italy, they are pattern parts not genuine Yamaha but after a few years use without issue I would happily buy them again.

I got my new brake pistons in Stainless Steel from Powerhouse, again on ebay via their online shop for about £160 for all eight pistons including new seals, banjo washers and bleed nipples.. The quality looks very good. I haven't yet had time to strip the brakes and do the job but hopefully will get time over the next few weeks. I didn't know that TRW did bike brake pistons.

As for the exhaust, I bought the full Akrapovic stainless system with Titanium/Carbon end can that Robbo still had which sounds better (but not too loud) and frees a couple of horses and it looks pretty cool to boot.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The TRK caliper kit (via WEMoto) is currently £150 - it includes pistons and seals - not sure about any other bits. I think Yamaha wanted £40 each for pistons! As for the exhaust, I was extremely fortunate that Funkycowie gave me a spare factory one when he sold me the scoot! I reallly don't like even slightly loud exhausts - they get on my nerves very quickly, especially on a CVT scoot where engine revs are relatively constant when on the move.

I'll have to look at sources of brake disks. Easyparts.nl sell some NG ones which appear cheap, but by the time you add on UK VAT and UPS's handling charges, they come out the same as EBC ones.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 am
Pukmeister wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:08 am

All sounds familiar - my mk3 has done 30 something thousand miles now. Replaced my corroded brake pistons last year - I got TRK ones which are (apparently) top quality and a lot cheaper than Yamaha ones. Myfront brake disks are getting thin, so they will need doing soon - I'll probably get EBC ones as they are a bit cheaper than Yamaha ones. I think Funkycowie did the clutch on mine before I bought it!

Now I know these things you list are consumables, but did anyone else think about Trigger's old broom? :lol:

No? Ok, it was just me then. :oops:

I'll get my coat.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 am

Now I know these things you list are consumables, but did anyone else think about Trigger's old broom? :lol:

No? Ok, it was just me then. :oops:

I'll get my coat.
Its not as mad as the classic car world, where people happily talk about restoring old cars with new body shells and new engines! When we start talking about replacing engines and chassis in our Tmaxs, then we'll know that we've reach the point of madness!

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

£13,800 is a lot of money for a Tmax. Not sure what market they are going after now given that kind of sticker price, but I guess the curse of PCP schemes means it's only a little more on the monthlies. I remember buying mine 3 yrs ago and the current price is now around 40% more. I understand the latest iteration has a funky TFT screen with sat nav etc but it still generally has the underpinnings of a relativity-old chassis/bike/components. But for me, the high price combined with the niggles which I have encountered on my DX means there's no way I'm getting another unfortunately.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Capelli32 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:12 pm I understand the latest iteration has a funky TFT screen with sat nav etc but it still generally has the underpinnings of a relativity-old chassis/bike/components. But for me, the high price combined with the niggles which I have encountered on my DX means there's no way I'm getting another unfortunately.
The current mk8 is basically the same engineering as on the 2017 mk6, though with 30cc extra, slightly revised suspension settings, a restyle with almost vanishing step-thru and the TFT dashboard.