My Number Plate Has Been Cloned

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: My Number Plate Has Been Cloned

Post by MrGrumpy »

Good - btw what happens with Road Tax? Does that transfer over, or is the tax under the old reg cancelled/refunded and you have to buy again under the new reg??

I looked at the Platehunter site after your first post....interested to see that the number '41P' is for sale for....£100,000! I quite often see '7P' on a Merc G-wagen near Stokesley. I wonder how much that would be worth!

Wandering off at a tangent, the best plate I ever saw was 'Y 1 Sun' which is rather cosmic! Seen in Essex, of course!

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

I did suspect that mine was cloned, having been notified when I tried to insure my W800 that it had been involved in an accident, hundreds of miles away and a few months previously.

It took nearly a year to sort that one out, including paying inflated premiums and having my business van insurance cancelled overnight because I'd not told them about the accident.

It eventually came down to the copper on the scene of the accident having recorded the registration number incorrectly.

Unfortunately what he'd written matched mine.

:shock:

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

McGrumpy - The existing road tax and MOT carry on with the new number. I have checked on the DVLA site and my new number is Taxed and MOT'd till the same
date as the old number. They ( DVLA) have also sent me online documentation that my old reg no has been replaced by the new one. I just picked a cheap number( £89 ), although I could have bought one cheaper, for £50, the £89 one did have some relevance for me so I bought that one. I was staggered like you, at the prices for some of the numbers - thousands of pounds. The total cost for me to change, with the fee to Platehunters / DVLA fee + recorded delivery postage to Met Camera Team and DVLA was £247.30 - it would have been cheaper to pay for the speeding tickets! I hope it's the end of the matter.

Capitano - That's terrible, and what I'm trying to avoid ( having problems with insurance etc ). Luckily ( if You can call me lucky ) I got early notification of the cloning, by receiving the NIPs ( Notices of Intended Prosecution), on the 16th March when the offences were on the 7th March, so I could take quick action, and hopefully nip it in the bud.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

velocipede6295 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:55 pm The total cost for me to change, with the fee to Platehunters / DVLA fee + recorded delivery postage to Met Camera Team and DVLA was £247.30 - it would have been cheaper to pay for the speeding tickets!
Ouch!!!! And there's £80 (I think) if you want to transfer your new reg when you swap scoots...

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

As a result of my correspondence with the Met Police over 3 weeks, they have now accepted that I am not responsible for these speeding offences. They have agreed in writing, that someone else is using a clone of my number plate. I'm in the clear!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Good news it's sorted velocipede6295. A good few moons ago a very good friend received 3 NIPS in quick succession by scum that had cloned his number plate. Unfortunately, due to various circumstances that I won't go into he was unable to prove it wasn't him and the met wouldn't believe he was innocent, even though he had no previous criminal record of any kind. He received an outright 1 year ban due to the speeds involved. He lost his job and couldn't get another paying the sort of money he needed. Fortunately, around 9 months later he had a call from the met. An officer had found a number plate with my friends number on it from a motorcycle in a lock up in London during an operation. The officers checked up on his details seeing he had been convicted of speeding and lost his licence. Realising at last he had been cloned they helped him go through the process of getting the conviction quashed and getting his record put right. It still took a year or so but everything worked out ok. Except he had lost thousands of pounds in earnings and costs and had his life turned upside down. In fact it drove him to a nervous breakdown at the time. Not nice. Therefore, you can never ignore this sort of thing. :(
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...