My Number Plate Has Been Cloned

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

My Number Plate Has Been Cloned

Post by velocipede6295 »

Got 2 letters from the Met Camera Team on Thursday - Notices of Intended Prosecutions, for 2 speeding offences in London. The reg number is for my Honda Forza, but I have never ever been to London on it, and live 220 miles away in Lancashire, plus no one else has ridden it during my 18 months ownership. I last went to London in a vehicle, 20 yrs ago, in a car, and since then 11 yrs ago by train - never ridden there / ridden in London at all, on two wheels.
Currently in correspondence with Met Police Met - well I have reported it as a crime and got a reference number, Met Camera team, DVLA, and a private reg plate company to get a different reg number for my Forza, as I don't want any more speeding tickets coming, as a result of someone riding around with my reg no. displayed.
What a lot of trouble / expense, out of the blue - for something over which I have had no control.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: My Number Plate Has Been Cloned

Post by 2wheelover51 »

That's horrible. I hope they confirm your innocence and prosecute the freeloading scum who used it. Unfortunately "liberal" Britain is so soft on crime that the crims laugh at the police and don't fear the repercussions, such as they are.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I had something simular, my Beverly Scooter was invlved in an onging serious crime in London whilst I was in London, two of the local Kent police visited my house and found out the real scooter was in my garage, my wife explained to them I was in London (Ace Cafe) and using another bike.
I sold the scooter soon after, did not want any more hassel from it.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I fear you are right 2wheelover51. Liberal Britain is breeding crime faster that the ants multiply in my garden in summer! velocipede6295 that's most frustrating. Would love to catch the scum riding the bike with that reg on it. Will the police investigate do you think? Would love the death penalty for this sort of crime to be used. :lol: Not too severe do you think?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

In austerity Britain there are very few police left. Numbers have been slashed and salaries for new recruits reduced, hence many bad 'uns sneaking in (especially the Met, by the sound of it). I barely see any traffic police anymore and it's 20+ years since I've been stopped (routine docs check on a Sunday morning). It's not even 'crime prevention' anymore, it's 'crime management' - after the event...

I sympathise, as my Beverly was also cloned by someone in London, who just did low level traffic offences, but it took time and effort to challenge each one (every borough meant starting again). Very frustrating!

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Something similar to my position last year when someone claimed i was in an accident. I had to send pictures of my bike to confirm it was not me. Several months until they (the insurance company) admitted it was a mistake, and not me.

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Once I get my registration changed, I hope I can draw a line under the matter. I'm just wondering how the offender picked my registration number. I can only think it was seen online when the dealer advertised the bike for sale, prior to me buying it, 18 months ago, or my bike has been seen during my ownership, and the number noted - but I live, and ride it, a long way from where the offences have been committed. It's very annoying!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

btw Don't forget to tell your insurance company that the reg no of your scoot has changed! If you don't it'll flag up as uninsured.

Can you get DVLA to issue a replacement Reg No? A private plate is fine, but if you keep it, then there is a transfer fee every time you sell the vehicle (if you want to keep it of course).

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Some years ago a colleague of mine was visiting Newcastle from his Ipswich home. He spotted a moped with his VStrom plate on it driving through the city!! He reported it but never heard any more……

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

I have now changed my reg number to a different one, and can recommend "Platehunter" for sorting out the whole change with DVLA very quickly - I spoke to them Sat afternoon and they had got it all sorted by Sun morning, confirmed by e mail from DVLA saying I can now use my new number. I have also informed my insurance company of the change, and am just waiting for the actual number plate, and new V5.