Group ride: Copdock Motorcycle Show 2023 - Sunday 3rd September - Really disappointing turnout

This is the place to organize a meet or tell us about a forthcoming show
Maxi Burger
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 2022

Re: Group ride: Copdock Motorcycle Show 2023 - Sunday 3rd September - Really disappointing turnout

Post by Maxi Burger »

As you will have all seen, since joining this group I have tried to raise riding interest by organising rides but each and every time the turnout has been disappointing to say the least.
This particular event was advertised here, on the X9 forum and Facebook, only one other person turned up.

As with many other clubs and groups, the knock on effect of Covid has played a part as will summer holidays and other family commitments, I accept that. But, only one other rider wanting to group ride to what is probably the UK's largest motorcycle show a few miles up the road? Come on guys and girls, really?
I've done my bit for this group, it's not worked. No more.

In contrast, look on facebook at FTWUK's page who are running a ride (Convoy) to the starting place of the Essex and Herts Sponsored Motorcycle Run 2024 next Sunday, currently stands at 213 people responded. I rest my case.

I'm out.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: Group ride: Copdock Motorcycle Show 2023 - Sunday 3rd September - Really disappointing turnout

Post by mottza »

Tbf... The essex lot were busy this weekend. My pie n mash meet just has you and Shaun. But that's due to holidays, health and other prior appointments.

Others were probably a bit too far to come.

The days when 15 + muppets turned up to my pie rides are long gone. But last year someone from Lincoln camped and came along. Hence I ride far to meet the sat breakfast gang.

X9 forum is very quiet so posting there is fruitless. Did you post on the muppets Facebook.

Do keep posting rides as some do come, but scooters are niche especially larger cc ones.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

It's very upsetting.
When I joined the X9OC 20 years ago, we had around ten one-day Rideouts every year for quite a few years.
There were trips to France to ride with the French X9ers and a hard core of a dozen or more of us met for breakfast at the Ace Café every Saturday.
We had an annual Anniversary Weekend away - Covid knocked that one on the head - and a West Country weekend for several years. Riders came from far-flung corners of the UK.
I recall with great pleasure riding with the Ugly Bunch when they came over to France; I was living in Belgium at the time.
The thing is, the majority of us were/are getting older - some suffering (mostly) age-related ill-health and many have moved on to other P2Ws and, therefore, other groups.
I've moved North and find travelling longer distances more than I want to do; there are plenty of lovely places to ride up here, too. with people who live relatively close by.
Perhaps giving notice of a personal ride is one way of doing it instead of trying to get a group together; Steve, a good friend up here, does just that and I tag along. Sometimes it's just the two of us and sometimes a couple of others come, too.

Please don't be despondent.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

COVID has had a massive effect on events.

Quite simply, folks have stuff they wanted to do for 2-3 years and are desperately trying to fit it all in.

Something has to give, and it's the same with all niche forums/groups. The C90 Southern Softies weekend has had 40+ attendees pre COVID. This year, the attendance was 8. We were happy with that. It could have been two of us!

The Copdock show sadly coincides with the Ace Café ride to Brighton, with a well attended event on Brighton seafront.

It's also the last weekend of school Summer holidays, so parents and Grandparents are often roped into activities to squeeze the last drops of vacation that weekend.

FWIW I've been the sole attendee at a Maxi Muppets rideout before. It would have been easier to bear if I'd actually organised it. Even the organiser didn't turn up!

8-)

Maxi Burger
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 2022

Post by Maxi Burger »

Thanks for the replies guys, had to laugh at the only one out on a ride as the event organiser didn't turn up. I kinda know how he felt.
If we can't get riders out on a nice summers day, what chance is there of anything in the colder months ahead.
Ride safe guys.

Maxi-Burger

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Maxi Burger wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:38 pm If we can't get riders out on a nice summers day, what chance is there of anything in the colder months ahead.
Ironically, probably better.

A rideout competes with x things in Autumn/Spring. Probably x/4 things in Winter, x*4 things in December, and x*10 things in Summer.

mottza
Admin

Post by mottza »

Very true Ged. I haven't been able to do many Saturday breakfast meets this summer.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

For me I am just too knackered from work, currently the only riding I am doing is the two days a week commute in and out that I begrudgingly have to do, the only plus is riding.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

mottza
Admin

Post by mottza »

MaxiBurger and thousands of bikes at standstill on the A12 due to five car accident in 31c heat.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

mottza wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:50 am MaxiBurger and thousands of bikes at standstill on the A12 due to five car accident in 31c heat.

Was that the charity ride from North Weald to Harwich?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...