T-max DX gone replaced by Honda 750 X-Adv

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

T-max DX gone replaced by Honda 750 X-Adv

Post by Capelli32 »

So after 31k miles in 2 3/4 years the Tmax has gone. Sorry to see her gone? - err no, not that much - like an old set of tyres, it was time for a change. It worked ok for me and was a useful tool, was broadly reliable but needed a lot of fettling to keep her running right. But also, when I moved house, my communing distance shot up and it wasn't really designed for the type milage I was doing.

So the new bike was a fair bit cheaper than one of the new T-max's. I wanted to get away from belt drives (expense) and wanted a lower revving bike given I do a lot of motorway miles. I opted for OEM heated grips to be fitted (which should be standard but aren't) and Datatool, but other than that pretty stock.

I thought I would miss the fully adjustable screen of the Tmax but not as much as I thought - its now similar to my Xmax 300 in that respect - but I'm only 174cm tall so the current screen provides decent deflection. The foot boards are narrower and the Tmax has slightly better weather protection for the legs. The heated seat will no doubt be missed when it gets really cold - but in terms of comfort the XAdv seat is firmer but weirdly more comfortable, and whereas I used to get numb-bum on the Tmax after an hour or so I don't now. The stability on windy days is much much better now, the Tmax was a bit of a sail in crosswinds, and riding the new one in the current weather we are having feels much safer vs the Tmax (its also better on potholed roads!).

The riding position is great, DCT box is good fun and you get a decent amount of engine braking - was going through pads on the Tmax quite regularly. I'm also now on 8k services intervals, with the big ones at 16k vs 12k and the 3k Tmax oil service's have now gone - I did 10 oil changes on my old bike!

Tmax was better in town though - the smaller gaps where I used to squeeze though aren't an option anymore as now the bar width is just that little bit wider. TFT screen is great vs analogue on the Tmax I had, but I know then new Tmax screens are excellent.

So in summary, Tmax great bike , huge huge improvement from my old Honda SH300. The XAdv, is another big improvement but I a different way - suiting my commute much better. However, if I wasn't doing the miles and lived back in central London again what would I have? - not so sure, the new Tmax might edge it lol !! I just shows there no such thing as a perfect bike!!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: T-max DX gone replaced by Honda 750 X-Adv

Post by StephenC »

Nice comparison review, thanks! Enjoy the new bike :)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Glad you are happy with it! All these things are of course very personal. For instance I always find the Tmax comfortable on long journeys (well, 3 hours anyway!), and never get numb bum - perhaps my behind is well padded! I've only ridden an NC engined/DCT equipped bike (original X-ADV) for around an hour, and did not find the DCT 'fun' - in fact it irritated me continually! And that was in one of the sportier modes - in D mode, it was down right aggravating! The footboards on 2017 onwards Tmaxs are narrower than on old versions with less wind protection for the legs, so its concerning that the X-ADV is even worse!
However, I know exactly what you mean when you say that the Tmax needed continuous fettling - for one thing I am sick of grovelling under the bike to reapply ACF50 etc to the centrestand to keep it something like rust free! And most metal parts on mine look awful.
Given that I have had a lot of mechanical failures on my Tmax (eg bearing failures in the transmission, rear shock absorber failure), I have on occasion promised myself to trade it in for a Forza 750 (no rubber bands for one thing!) - but I can't persuade myself to do it. The Tmax is such fun, and the NC engine feels so stodgy feeling and the DCT irritates me, so I just hang on to the Tmax!

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

Yep, X-adv definitely more agricultural the the Max but more relaxing at speed. The continual maintenance coupled with reliability is what made me switch tbh. In 2 yrs the X-Adv will have +30k miles on it so I'll likely change again. The utility function for me is the overriding appeal. I've done 750 miles in 6 days of riding but not once have I been on it for a 'ride' , just pounding the miles to work!!

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I prefer the DCT to the Cvt. More engine braking and less revvy.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

mottza wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:07 am I prefer the DCT to the Cvt. More engine braking and less revvy.
Have to say I agree.
Having had a couple of Tmax ( a Mk1 when they first came out and a Mk 6 after a succession of BMW motorcycles), I was put off buying another after reading of reliability issues on the newer versions and the cost was also a major consideration. Both my Tmax were 100% reliable
I had intended to buy a Forza 750 after a test ride but a local chap was selling a Honda Integra only a year old and with less than a thousand miles on the clock. Too good a bargain to miss as it also had the full Honda luggage with the larger top box and a rear hugger.
I've had it just over a year now and have covered 3,500 leisure miles on it.
Horses for courses each to their own but I do really like and prefer the DCT. I suppose it all depends on your riding style. Perfect for commuting when you just want to get there. I ride in Sport 1 mode all the time because Drive seems , to me, to labour the engine slightly, OK for motorway or dual carriageway but around town it changes up too soon. Sport 1 however fits in perfectly with my riding style, changing up and down when I would expect to if it were manual. I go up and down Sutton Bank ( a very steep hill) in N Yorks regularly on my ride outs and the gearbox handles it no problem with fantastic engine braking. There is also the option of manual although I've only tried it a couple of times.

Enjoy the X-Adv, when they first came out I found I couldn't flat foot on one, which I could surprisingly on the Forza :?

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I find the same in D, it feels like it labouring when it isn't. S1 or 2 for me as the engine braking is much better and more in the power band.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

mottza wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:31 am I find the same in D, it feels like it labouring when it isn't. S1 or 2 for me as the engine braking is much better and more in the power band.
Remember the bike learns your riding style, if you keep it in D and down shift when you need it the computer will adjust the shifting. I ride in D mode all the time, it feels like S2 mostly but with the enconomy of D.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

On my test ride, I found that D mode kept the engine revs so low it was in the vibey zone, which I thought was very annoying (oh..the smooth joys of the Tmax engine...). Whilst a CVT just works and does its stuff, I found myself wondering what on earth the DCT was up to and why, and sometimes wanting it to do something different! No doubt the riding experience would improve as you get used to it, especially if it can learn that a Hooligan is riding it!!
I believe that the latest ones don't have the gearbox D,S1,S2 and S3 modes, but have various 'bike modes' involving the engine, DCT, ABS and something else, with a customisable mode where you can select your own settings. Whether that offers anything in practice, I of course don't know.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Funky is right! When you go road testing any DCT bike (or car), or you buy a secondhand machine, you must remember the bikes auto tranny ECU will not be in tune with how you ride. It's already learned how the previous owner rides it, & you are upsetting it. It may do things it wouldn't normally do. If the bike is a dealer demo bike the ECU will most likely be confused. It's had lots of riders & is likely still in learning mode, again not performing quite as it will once it's learned your riding technique.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...