HELP ME CHOOSE

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
meldrew
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400

HELP ME CHOOSE

Post by meldrew »

I have sold my Silverwing 600 as I am touching 80 and it was proving too heavy for me to move around.
I have narrowed my next scoot, both from dealers, to either a Forza 300 2020 with 2300 miles, absolutely mint, fsh, with heated grips at £4200, or a J300 1919 with 5750 miles, no real service history, in lovely condition with topbox, at £3500.
Both have 12 month mots, and 3 months warranty, and having ridden them for short distances both suit my needs.
I simply cant make up my mind which to go for as I have no in depth knowledge of either, the saving of £720 on the J300 is appealing, although it is a year older.
I am looking for guidance, advice, and a concensus of which is the best buy. your comments really appreciated.
It takes many screws to make a cradle, but only one to fill it.

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Re: HELP ME CHOOSE

Post by velocipede6295 »

I had a test ride on a J300 a few years ago, and it felt a bit low for me ( 6'3") although looking at the specs, the seat height is very similar to the Forza. The J300 is also about 9KG heavier than the Forza, but it puts out about 4 bhp more. Although the J300 is reportedly more powerful than the Forza, I struggled to get up to speed joining the motorway and was very blown about when riding on the motorway. Although this may have been partly due to the jacket I was wearing, and the very strong wind. The J300 is based on the Kymco Downtown, which does have a good reputation, for Kawasaki to have "adopted" it.

I have a Honda 300 Forza, and I am reasonably comfortable sitting on it, and it is light and manouevrable. I always enjoy riding it, having found the suspension a bit hard at first, I have got used to it, after a bit of adjustment. I have had it about 18 months ( 5000 miles approx) and it has been faultless. On paper it is not as powerful ( 25 bhp as opposed to 29 bhp) to the J300, but it did not feel it to me. I have no trouble accelerating to join the motorway, and cruising on the motorway at an indicated 70 mph, without getting in the way of anyone. Having said that, I do not travel on motorways much - but the Forza is up to it when I do, and I have not felt blown about, like I did on the J300. It handles and brakes well, has decent weather protection from the electrically operated, adjustable screen, which can be altered on the move by pressing a switch. The engine and transmission are very smooth, and mine does 90 mpg. It feels a well made, and solid scooter. I decided to go for the Honda Forza because of all the above, plus Honda's reputation for reliability.

My choice was a 2019 Honda Forza 300, and I have not been disappointed. I am sure others will be just as pleased with their J300's, I am just relating my experiences of the two bikes, albeit most of it has been on the Forza. I very much like the look of the J300, but riding it did not impress me as much as the Forza.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Forza... Honda are bullet proof.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Hello Meldrew nice to know you are still around. I have recently bought a new Forza 350. March 24. Having put my Silverwing in P/X ( same reason as you for getting rid of it),. I have done nearly a thousand miles on the Forza. As you probably know i bought a Cruisym 300i in 2018 and have 57000km on that. I find the Forza a bit too high off the ground for me, and do as someone on here suggested, and need to slide forward on the seat when putting my foot down,the number of buttons on the left grip is confusing at first. To flash the headlight you have to push down the light switch,as the normal flasher is for the traction control. The Cruisym is lower and no problem putting feet down. the seat is wider and further back and the leg forward much better on the Cruisym. Having a slightly larger engine the Forza is a bit nippyer. Both bikes give 88-94 MPG. I have noticed some parts that fit the Silverwing will also fit the Forza.

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

My choice would be the Forza. It's an accomplished machine and a multi purpose one at that. The electric screen is just the icing on the cake, especially if you add the Givi screen.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I've owned both, each for 3 years.

The Honda is the sensible choice with longer service intervals, better mpg, etc But...

The J300 was an absolute joy to ride and gave me a buzz every time. It's a little bit of a hooligan's machine with the engine being strong everywhere, especially off the line. It looks good and handles beautifully IMO. I had an SE in green and black and it looked great too - it was also the first scooter that "real bikers" would nod to.

What let the J300 down was the lack of development and also interest from Kawasaki UK. There's no issues with the Kymco underpinnings, btw.

The Honda will get you from A to B but the J300 will make you want to go from A to B via X, Y and Z.

Summary: sensible people will buy the Honda. I'd have another J300 tomorrow.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Sylar wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:27 pm Hello Meldrew nice to know you are still around. I have recently bought a new Forza 350. March 24. Having put my Silverwing in P/X ( same reason as you for getting rid of it),. I have done nearly a thousand miles on the Forza. As you probably know i bought a Cruisym 300i in 2018 and have 57000km on that. I find the Forza a bit too high off the ground for me, and do as someone on here suggested, and need to slide forward on the seat when putting my foot down,the number of buttons on the left grip is confusing at first. To flash the headlight you have to push down the light switch,as the normal flasher is for the traction control. The Cruisym is lower and no problem putting feet down. the seat is wider and further back and the leg forward much better on the Cruisym. Having a slightly larger engine the Forza is a bit nippyer. Both bikes give 88-94 MPG. I have noticed some parts that fit the Silverwing will also fit the Forza.
Not the same Meldrew, the person in this post only joined the Muppets in 2020, if I remember correctly the origional Meldrew was banished for being a helmet!!
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

horobags wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:06 am

Not the same Meldrew, the person in this post only joined the Muppets in 2020, if I remember correctly the origional Meldrew was banished for being a helmet!!
But a bit of a coincidence that both the 'old' and 'new' Meldrews both owned a Silverwing?

meldrew
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400

Post by meldrew »

I am not thr original meldrew, I joined in 2020 with my Burgman, which I traded for a silverwing in late 2022, which proved too heavy to push around and get on centre stand, so now looking at Forza or J300, but I know i will miss the power but needs as must.
It takes many screws to make a cradle, but only one to fill it.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

meldrew wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:07 am I am not thr original meldrew, .
Thank goodness for that!