Tmax Mk3 clutch and brakes

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Tmax Mk3 clutch and brakes

Post by Pukmeister »

I recently had a a lack of acceleration and lots of clutch slip, plus my front brakes were feeling past their best despite new pads which failed to improve things.

This long-weekend thanks to His Majestys Coronation break, I stripped the clutch basket and replaced the plates and springs with a Malossi clutch kit at just over £100 plus a new Athena clutch housing gasket for about £15. I had watched a YouTube video from 49cc scoot and he recommended fitting the stronger than stock clutch springs from the kit but I didn't want a high RPM race setup so I went for the mid-range (fast road) clutch springs. I wish now that I had just fitted the lowest tension road-riding grade springs as it now revs about 200rpm higher than before when pulling away and uses more rpm until about 60mph when the clutch feels fully engaged without slip. That said, it now pulls great from a standing start which is what I need to beat the traffic away from the lights on my daily commute. I won't bother to strip and replace the clutch springs again for lighter ones as they are rumoured to settle down a little with repeated use.

The front brake dust seals had a bit of corrosion and furring just starting in their recesses so I cleaned them out, the chrome had also corroded off the brake piston skirts so I fitted a kit of aftermarket replacement stainless steel pistons and seals for £160. The brakes are now both powerful and progressive with better feel and less lever pressure needed, I run EBC HH Sintered pads on the front. Hopefully they won't need much attention between services (I usually clean my brakes quite often).

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax Mk3 clutch and brakes

Post by MrGrumpy »

I usually have my workshop clean out the brakes each spring after the winter's attack of salt and crud. Haven't done so this year, as the brakes still feel fine - in previous years they get completely gunged up so that they start binding! Still need new discs - I found some 'Fren' discs for only £95, sold through VE-UK, but Italian made - anyone heard of them?

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

I think the name "Fren" is just an abbreviated term for "Freno" (the Italian/Spanish term for brakes). I have seen those disks on the VE website and wouldn't be afraid to use them myself at all. Don't confuse them with the 'GoldFren' brand of brake pads, which should be crushed, burnt and then thrown into the deepest ocean where nobody can ever use them again, along with their makers. :evil:

Sorry to digress with anecdotes but when I bought my 1998 R1 (4XV) the former keeper had fitted cheap Goldfren pads (probably from eBay) which were about as much use as fitting two blocks of hardwood: I deglazed the disks and fitted some Bendix MRR compound fast road/trackday pads which allowed one-finger stoppies...... If I could find a set of Bendix MRR pads for the Tmax I wouldn't fit anything else.

My replacement bargain Dayco drivebelt arrived yesterday from Amazon, it came direct from Germany and took about ten days to arrive and although it looks correct at a glance, the part number printed on the cardboard sleeve is different and it states for large scooters and micro cars. I'm gong to cross-reference it later or compare it with an old Yamaha belt I still have. I'm on 9000 miles since the last belt change so I'm in no panic to replace it just yet, I seem to recall its 12k for a tmax belt ?? I wonder if the seller has found a Dayco belt for micro cars that is compatible/identical with the Tmax item but has a different part number hence the bargain price ?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:38 am I think the name "Fren" is just an abbreviated term for "Freno" (the Italian/Spanish term for brakes). I have seen those disks on the VE website and wouldn't be afraid to use them myself at all.
My replacement bargain Dayco drivebelt arrived yesterday from Amazon, it came direct from Germany and took about ten days to arrive and although it looks correct at a glance, the part number printed on the cardboard sleeve is different and it states for large scooters and micro cars. I'm gong to cross-reference it later or compare it with an old Yamaha belt I still have. I'm on 9000 miles since the last belt change so I'm in no panic to replace it just yet, I seem to recall its 12k for a tmax belt ?? I wonder if the seller has found a Dayco belt for micro cars that is compatible/identical with the Tmax item but has a different part number hence the bargain price ?
Yes, I'd noticed the correspondence with Fren and Freno! (and I think the French word is Frein). Very odd. Perhaps they are equivalent of an unbranded version of someone else's gear for cheapskates like me.
Good luck with your belt - I must admit I'd be a bit cautious - I guess now you've got it you can see how it works! Yes, 12k miles is the recommended change interval - if you can find it in a manual, there is a minimum recommended belt width that I guess is the most important thing. I've found that belts look brand new after 12k miles, but they can have worn down to the minimum. The figure of 22.5mm rings a bell (and they are only something like 24mm to start with!), but its likely that this can vary with the different Tmax versions, so don't take my muddled recollections as gospel!

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

Thanks for confirming the 12k, I can't find my old part-worn Yamaha belt that I was keeping in my garage as an emergency spare. The last time I changed it, it was for a Dayco belt 9000 miles ago so I know they are of reasonable quality. I recall the Dayco was 23.7mm wide when I fitted it from new which oddly was the same width as the OE yamaha belt was when it was worn/removed. I suspect the OE Yamaha belt is of top quality compared to the cheaper aftermarket versions.

I will check the width of this new Dayco belt before I fit it, which at my current rate for daily commuting will be a while yet, its only about 25 miles a day.