Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Post by mottza »

Funkycowie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:08 pm I did it the other way...
Me too
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I discovered twist and go scooters in the 1990s when I bought a Suzuki 125 for commuting to Wolverhampton. Previously my only scooter was a four speed twist grip change variety in the 1960s. I went through many other scooters, about six I think! But still kept up riding big bikes up to the point where I decided to try the one machine does everything approach with the Kymco AK550 about 5 years ago.

This was a brilliant machine but I couldn't resist getting a "proper" bike too. Eventually I ended up with an electric scooter as the sensible short range runabout and I have a very light and manageable Honda CB300R for excitement, which is now less about speed and more about the rev counter shooting round to 9000 rpm+ as I zip through the gears.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

roadster wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:22 am I discovered twist and go scooters in the 1990s when I bought a Suzuki 125 for commuting to Wolverhampton. Previously my only scooter was a four speed twist grip change variety in the 1960s. I went through many other scooters, about six I think! But still kept up riding big bikes up to the point where I decided to try the one machine does everything approach with the Kymco AK550 about 5 years ago.

This was a brilliant machine but I couldn't resist getting a "proper" bike too. Eventually I ended up with an electric scooter as the sensible short range runabout and I have a very light and manageable Honda CB300R for excitement, which is now less about speed and more about the rev counter shooting round to 9000 rpm+ as I zip through the gears.
Know where you are coming from roadster. I get the same excitement on my smaller bikes as I did on the bigger ones. You can only go 0-62mph in 2.57 seconds just so many times before you get bored! My Vstrom 1000 & GXS didn't come alive until around 90mph plus! And obviously, there's no future in that. My GTS gives the same thrill at 70mph! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I rode my R1250 to work yesterday as I had its MOT test booked. Big, heavy, clumsy in traffic compared to my Tmax and no quicker from A to B.
Used the Tmax for the commute again today and glad to be on it. The big bike is great for touring but the scoot is just better for doing many other things.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I started riding Motorbikes in the Sixties ,when i was sixteen, mainly to get to work and get out at weekends. First bike a BSA 250 c11g. Second bike Triumph 21 (bathtub) 350. Many many bikes i have had , my last bike was a Deauville 650. I came home on it one day in November 2008, and had difficulty getting off it. I turned out several vertabrae in my back needed surgery. After the op i could no longer stretch my leg or bend my back over a bike. I bought a second hand Burgman 400. I was so impressed with it, i went on to buy my first Honda 600 Silverwing. Never thought i would ever ride a "Scooter." Now i have a Cruisym300, and bought last month a new honda Forza350. Any thing to keep me on two wheels, i will be 79 in August.

Deleted User 18472

Post by Deleted User 18472 »

I swapped bikes (Honda VFR 750) for a Yamaha Majesty 250 in the year 2001,
Had 6 scoots since, I did have a WK650Tr for 5 years, but returned scoots after that bike, too old to consider going back to bike now.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

me from bike to scoot, to bike, to scoot over the last 10 years. Had lots of big bikes in the past, started in 1977 working at Derek Johnsons motorcycles in Manchester, happy days.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Well sort of.... I'll never give up bikes while I can still handle them, but I've been sold on the practicality and weather protection of modern scooters since I first tried one 20 years ago. Still wish they had better ride comfort though...T-Max was the best so far, but I didn't 'need' a scooter that big any more!
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

I basically got into scooters because i was skint and didn’t have the funds for another motorcycle - so I acquired a tidy little Gilera SP runner of 125cc variety from a mature gentleman from Alexandria - I’m sure I paid £650 for it and foolishly sold it not long after - next was a Honda Dylan 125cc with nominal milage from another mature gentleman from Kemnay in Aberdeenshire again around £600 - a Sym Citycom 300cc followed from a nice man from Glasgow a grand this time - improved financial circumstances led me to a 2011 Honda sh300i from North Harbour motorcycles in Ayr £2650 - foolishly traded that for a Honda integra 700 - now back on a 2019 Honda sh300i bought from Two Wheels in Edinburgh for £3850 - previous motorcycles included a Yamaha Fazer a bmw r850r Honda cbf1000 Honda hornet bmw r1150gs adventure bmw r1200gs

Chocky
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Mk8

Post by Chocky »

I had an R1150GS, then a Tmax Mk2, then a 650 Versys then a Tmax Mk4, then a Tracer 900 and now a Tmax Mk8. The Tmax is great fun and does lots of things very well, but then I miss the grunt of a bike and the cornering lean angles you can achieve. However, I'll probably stick to the Tmax now as it's comfortable, fast enough and very practical.